Will my step 2 hurt me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zzzosyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will my step 2 hurt me?

USDO, 2nd Quartile, really solid ECs Step 1: 239 Step 2: 237

I just got me step 2 back today and it was a 237. Feels bittersweet since I got a 246 on UWSA2 right before, but my exam got cancelled and moved last second so I went in anxious and left thinking I failed, so I'll take it.

I'm applying anesthesiology this year and have already gotten interviews at some really great academic spots. Will my step 2 coming back hurt my chances at these place and for more interviews down the road

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You better rescind your anesthesia applications and apply to family med in the Nebraska region.

Reactions: 2 users
Will my step 2 hurt me?

USDO, 2nd Quartile, really solid ECs Step 1: 239 Step 2: 237

I just got me step 2 back today and it was a 237. Feels bittersweet since I got a 246 on UWSA2 right before, but my exam got cancelled and moved last second so I went in anxious and left thinking I failed, so I'll take it.

I'm applying anesthesiology this year and have already gotten interviews at some really great academic spots. Will my step 2 coming back hurt my chances at these place and for more interviews down the road

That’s not a big enough discrepancy to draw attention at a rank meeting. It may be brought up in interviews to see how you respond but shouldn’t really overall affect your application if you make a good impression on interview day. Those are middle of the pack scores that demonstrate you can pass board exams. You might bump up a few spots if you make a good impression or someone vouches for you but as long as you don’t have any red flags, there are enough spots at good programs that you should match somewhere where you will be happy.

what are red flags? Arrests, failed classes, time off, acknowledging anesthesia is your back up choice, answers that make it seem like you don’t know what anesthesiologists do, drinking too much at dinners, inappropriate topics of conversation

Even just being boring and blending in is fine for middle of the pack people. At the end of the day, even for interviewers with a passion for the process and academics, most of the time they are left scribbling illegible nondescript comments in the minutes between interviews and then are on to the next one.

It is very hard to remember who is who at the end of the day unless your app has something inherently interesting like former college athlete or sushi chef etc. This is exactly why letters of rec have become more important. Greater chance for someone who knows you to provide a one liner for your interview summary than someone who has only spent a few minutes with you that has limited time generate meaningful comments.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not an enormous concern, but certainly doesn’t help. It’s going to be a very strange application cycle, I anticipate programs will fill as much as possible from within as long as the prospective residents are legitimate.

I feel like programs should look for whether or not the resident has personality problems or drug issues. That's like 90% of the headaches.