rsgrig36

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everybody, due to financial reasons I am considering changing my major (technically, concentration). Would switching from a Sportsmedicine (Pre-Med concentration) to a Sportsmedicine (Health/Fitness concentration) make me less appealing to medical schools? The Pre-Med track takes more science courses, if I do the H/F major then I would just be doing the required courses (maybe a few extras if I can fit them in).

Thanks

WhitJord85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everybody, due to financial reasons I am considering changing my major (technically, concentration). Would switching from a Sportsmedicine (Pre-Med concentration) to a Sportsmedicine (Health/Fitness concentration) make me less appealing to medical schools? The Pre-Med track takes more science courses, if I do the H/F major then I would just be doing the required courses (maybe a few extras if I can fit them in).

Thanks
W/o knowing the specifics of your program, I would say the only downside would be that you might lose out on some of the upper level bio/chem classes. But as long as you take all the required classes for the schools you want to apply to and do well in them I don't think it would be a problem.

Plenty of people apply to medical school and get in that didn't major in bio or chem. If you really want specifics ask your pre-med advisor. If you don't think they know what they are talking about... call the admissions office of the schools you are most interested in.

elftown

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I don't think any medical school will know that your undergrad had two different tracks, let alone that you chose the "less appealing" one.

DitchDoc73

5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think any medical school will know that your undergrad had two different tracks, let alone that you chose the "less appealing" one.
+1 Jut finish any Bachelor's degree (with the pre-reqs), and you will be fine...My 2 cents!

Odanada

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
The emphasis of my major was not seen at any time by admissions. I switched from Public Health Industrial Hygiene to Public Health Education. No one ever asked about it.

As long as you have your pre-req's it won't matter.