1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Will owning a condo affect my med school fin

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by MT2MD, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MT2MD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello, I am a non-traditional (25yrs) that will be applying to medical school soon. My mother is buying a condo soon and because of family reason, my name will also be included in the deed. How will this affect my medical school financial aid. I will not be the one paying the mortgage. This will be the only property we own.

- I tried searching on the site but the latest thread was from 2007, just wanted to get so updated info. Thanks

2. Phlame217

Phlame217 PGY-1 IM
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Since stafford loans aren't affected by credit, then they won't. If you have to get Grad Plus loans, then they require credit approval. My wife and I purchased a house Feb of 2011 and it hasn't had any effects on my loans.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. plauto

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe that FAFSA does not care whether you own a place or not, so your fin aid package should not be affected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Financial assets are counted. Not real estate.