Will Pharmacy Technician experience matter in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephrp

B.S. Biology & Wildlife Conservation c/o 2018
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :) I will be applying to vet school several years from now. I quit a retail position I loved to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail setting. Will this have any impact on my vet school applications? I took this job because I thought it may be looked at positively as a medical-environment work experience, but as I look deeper into application requirements, it seems like your experience outside of classes and animal experience do not seem to make any difference unless you hopped from one job to another consistently which would be looked at negatively. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello :) I will be applying to vet school several years from now. I quit a retail position I loved to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail setting. Will this have any impact on my vet school applications? I took this job because I thought it may be looked at positively as a medical-environment work experience, but as I look deeper into application requirements, it seems like your experience outside of classes and animal experience do not seem to make any difference unless you hopped from one job to another consistently which would be looked at negatively. Thanks!

I think there is quite a bit of variety between schools in what specific things they value.

I also think there's less value in what specific job you held than in what you can say you accomplished there. There's a huge difference between "So, I, uh, worked as a pharmacy tech......" and "I started my job as a pharmacy technician, and within three months was able to make several suggestions about improving process flow. [Insert example here] allowed us to increase our order fulfillment speed by 20%."

Wayyyyyyyyy too many people just "go" to their job. Good employees go to their job, do their job, and make tactful suggestions for ways to improve things.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there is quite a bit of variety between schools in what specific things they value.

I also think there's less value in what specific job you held than in what you can say you accomplished there. There's a huge difference between "So, I, uh, worked as a pharmacy tech......" and "I started my job as a pharmacy technician, and within three months was able to make several suggestions about improving process flow. [Insert example here] allowed us to increase our order fulfillment speed by 20%."

Wayyyyyyyyy too many people just "go" to their job. Good employees go to their job, do their job, and make tactful suggestions for ways to improve things.
I understand what you're saying. I don't have a lot of work experience. While working at my previous job, I also worked a second job on top of that while in school for almost a year. I suppose that shows something. At my previous job I was also given numerous customer service awards, and was also promoted. But in the situation I am in with this technician job, it is very corporate-based. There is no room for growth until I spend 10+ years working there and am lucky enough for a position to open up. Suggestions from technicians also are frowned upon; basically anything besides "come in and do what we say" is frowned upon by corporate. So I'm stuck in the "so, i, uh, worked as a pharmacy technician...." position.

I don't think I will primarily work there forever. I plan to work 1-2 days per week there to keep my status as a tech, but also work in an animal setting after I transfer to a university in September.

I think the fact that I have been volunteering directly with animals consistently throughout my time working will help the "so, I, uh, worked as a pharmacy tech..." issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you're saying. I don't have a lot of work experience. While working at my previous job, I also worked a second job on top of that while in school for almost a year. I suppose that shows something. At my previous job I was also given numerous customer service awards, and was also promoted. But in the situation I am in with this technician job, it is very corporate-based. There is no room for growth until I spend 10+ years working there and am lucky enough for a position to open up. Suggestions from technicians also are frowned upon; basically anything besides "come in and do what we say" is frowned upon by corporate. So I'm stuck in the "so, i, uh, worked as a pharmacy technician...." position.

No you aren't. There are always ways to improve things, even if they appear to be uninterested. You just have to find ways to make the suggestion that don't rock the boat.

Don't be afraid to talk about being promoted. That speaks volumes and most schools will pay attention to it.

Volunteering is a big-ticket item at some schools. You should do well.

I don't think I will primarily work there forever. I plan to work 1-2 days per week there to keep my status as a tech, but also work in an animal setting after I transfer to a university in September.

I think the fact that I have been volunteering directly with animals consistently throughout my time working will help the "so, I, uh, worked as a pharmacy tech..." issue.
I held a student supervisor position for roughly 3 years (campus dining hall). Like your pharmacy position, it isn't animal or veterinary related. I was very able to cite it as leadership experience though (and I didn't have to stretch the truth, if you know what I mean). Perhaps your job allows you to learn the ins and outs of medication, dosing, etc.? For the longest time, I figured my job wouldn't do jack for my application. It took a bit of thinking to realize I had been developing leadership skills that whole time, even though it seems obvious. I bet your job had something to it that will still help you, application wise.

Adding to the previous comments, think about everything and anything you have learned at your job. You probably have to communicate with clients, coworkers, and supervisors constantly. Communication skills are significant to all vet schools (interactions with clients, techs, other doctors).
In general, identify each different skill set you have developed at your current position and relate that to your application.

I will definitely take your advice! I am definitely in an position of independence and reliability as well as communication and will use those traits for sure when it comes time to apply.

Also, I don't know if this has been said or not. But you can definitely integrate veterinary medicine into your pharmacy tech experience. especially if you have had to fill prescriptions for canine and feline patients. I would definitely add it under additional health care experience!! IF anything I think this will positively reflect upon your application. Good Luck!

Also, I don't know if this has been said or not. But you can definitely integrate veterinary medicine into your pharmacy tech experience. especially if you have had to fill prescriptions for canine and feline patients. I would definitely add it under additional health care experience!! IF anything I think this will positively reflect upon your application. Good Luck!
You know, I didn't think about that at all. I fill several prescriptions for companion animals daily. Thanks for the information!

Umm no. Just no.

I get that the med is for an animal, but simply putting some pills in a vial is not a way to integrate vet med. You don't know why the med is being used, what side effects of that med could be, etc, etc. Not only that but veterinarians have massive problems with human pharmacies improperly filling meds and not understanding veterinary drug dosaging or side effects.

I have to disagree... you can't integrate veterinary medicine knowledge by simply getting some medications together for an owner, especially in a human pharmacy where knowledge of veterinary drugs is extremely limited.

Wow. No need to be rude, I'm saying overall it can't hurt to put it on the application. I didn't say it was the only experience to have. If you've ever worked in practice, especially as a technician you do actually work with counting and filling prescriptions quite often. At the very least you could attribute it to being detail oriented and understanding certain specifications and why it's important to have correct dosages etc.

And overall I think if you have any questions about how to incorporate your experiences into your application talk to your pre-vet advisor, and the advisor for the school you're applying to. Most are very helpful and will let you know what you need to do!

Wow. No need to be rude, I'm saying overall it can't hurt to put it on the application. I didn't say it was the only experience to have. If you've ever worked in practice, especially as a technician you do actually work with counting and filling prescriptions quite often. At the very least you could attribute it to being detail oriented and understanding certain specifications and why it's important to have correct dosages etc.

I never said don't put it on the application. The OP should definitely put the experience on the application. I am just saying that I wouldn't be extrapolating filling medications in a human pharmacy to any type of "veterinary medicine"...

I am well aware that vet techs fill meds in the vet clinic (I was one for 7 years), but it is different in vet clinic vs. a human pharmacy. That vet tech is also aware of what the medication is being used for, why the med is being used, how it is dosed, why it is dosed that way and is able to instruct owners on any potential adverse effects of said medication. Human pharmacists and pharmacy techs do not have this knowledge, and before you ask how I would know.. my father has been a pharmacy tech for 20+ years and his best friend works in a human pharmacist.. they don't have much (if any) veterinary drug knowledge, which is the point I am trying to make.

I am not saying don't put the experience on your application. I definitely agree that it should be on there, but if you are trying to relate the experience to anything veterinary medicine related, you are really stretching reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be able to relate specific traits and things you learned working in the human pharmacy and how those will help you as a veterinarian... but simply filling pet meds is not going to be enough to relate it to veterinary medicine or veterinary med experience.

You might be able to relate specific traits and things you learned working in the human pharmacy and how those will help you as a veterinarian... but simply filling pet meds is not going to be enough to relate it to veterinary medicine or veterinary med experience.
Going to agree with you on this one :)eek:). Even if you worked for 1-800-PetMeds, that still isn't veterinary/animal experience. In regards to medical knowledge, I'd say that you probably are limited to what you are reading on drug labels ("This medication may cause dizziness," "Do not take with alcohol" and so on). You can't possibly know why the meds are being used, why the doctor chose them, and why the doctor chose to prescribe the dose/dosage. That information would never be available to you.

With that being said, vet clinics are notorious for not detailing potential side effects on drug labels anyways (either it's that, or the human pharmacies don't know well enough to place those handy stickers on the vials), at least in comparison to how thorough human meds can be. You lose even more valuable information that a pharmacy tech could learn from. Usually the doctors verbally tell the clients that during the exam, but most of what you tell a pet owner is forgotten by the time they exit the clinic. Which then leads to those panicked called from owners asking why their dog is peeing like a racehorse while on pred...

I can absolutely see how pharmacy technician experience can be used on my application regarding medical experience, understanding medications overall, improving communication skills, etc. I fill medications for pets often, and I know the purpose of the drug on humans. But in no way do I know the effect on animals. I would never go into an interview saying the experience furthered my veterinary knowledge. Overall I wasn't sure if it would give my application a "boost" and whether or not people would read my application and say "that is a good experience to have".

I was a pharmacy tech for 3 years in college (undergrad), and I definitely think it helped me get in. It's all my interviewers wanted to talk about. It helps in classes too.

Reactions: 1 users
I can absolutely see how pharmacy technician experience can be used on my application regarding medical experience, understanding medications overall, improving communication skills, etc. I fill medications for pets often, and I know the purpose of the drug on humans. But in no way do I know the effect on animals. I would never go into an interview saying the experience furthered my veterinary knowledge. Overall I wasn't sure if it would give my application a "boost" and whether or not people would read my application and say "that is a good experience to have".
Yeah, you can definitely know what antiobiotics, steroids, pain killers, etc. do for humans and animals. But you still don't know anything else about them, like we've said.

Definitely list it under employment. You've learned how important attention to detail is, how to communicate, blah blah blah. Just don't forget to get the actual veterinary experience you need. I wouldn't go as far to say "It will definitely help you get accepted." because it's all about how you present the position on your application and how you detail what you learned. I feel it'd come up in any interviews you might have, at the very least.

I agree completely with you on the fact that there are issues with pharmacists and veterinarians. I definitely think you need substantial experience in the veterinary field to be able to relate back to any pharmacy tech experiences you have. Pharmacy tech experience alone is insufficient. Trust me there have been several times where we've gone back and forth with pharmacists who think we are dosing wrong or that other medications can be used.

I was a pharmacy tech for 3 years in college (undergrad), and I definitely think it helped me get in. It's all my interviewers wanted to talk about. It helps in classes too.
Not sure why, but this surprises me. Of all the extensive parts of the application, that's what they want to discuss.

Yeah, you can definitely know what antiobiotics, steroids, pain killers, etc. do for humans and animals. But you still don't know anything else about them, like we've said. Definitely list it under employment. You've learned how important attention to detail is, how to communicate, blah blah blah. Just don't forget to get the actual veterinary experience you need. I wouldn't go as far to say "It will definitely help you get accepted." because it's all about how you present the position on your application and how you detail what you learned. I feel it'd come up in any interviews you might have, at the very least.
Will list it under employment then. Thanks :)

I agree completely with you on the fact that there are issues with pharmacists and veterinarians. I definitely think you need substantial experience in the veterinary field to be able to relate back to any pharmacy tech experiences you have. Pharmacy tech experience alone is insufficient. Trust me there have been several times where we've gone back and forth with pharmacists who think we are dosing wrong or that other medications can be used.
Or the pharmacy doesn't attempt to contact the clinic at all and changes things to how they think it should be....
Or the pharmacy is unclear and doesn't bother to call for clarification and fills what they think is right and it ends badly....

Calling out rx's to pharmacies was my least favorite thing to do as a receptionist. You could be as detailed as possible, but they'd either a. Call back confused and ask for some registry number for the vet when vets don't have that (only human doctors do), delaying the prescription by a day or two b. screw it up c. actually dispense it correctly. Pick one.

Working in a pharmacy, I have seen too many mistakes slip right by the pharmacist. I tell patients to double check every part of their medications with their doctors. I hope people are taking that advice for their pets, too. :(

Working in a pharmacy, I have seen too many mistakes slip right by the pharmacist. I tell patients to double check every part of their medications with their doctors. I hope people are taking that advice for their pets, too. :(
For vet clinics, the meds dispensed in-house go through the doctor (at the time of prescribing), the tech, the assistant, and the receptionist (at least in my current clinic, that tends to be the chain). I'm not saying there are never mistakes made, but that's 3 people comparing what's in the vial to what the doctor wrote. I've even caught the doctor in math errors and had to go back to her to get the right prescription clarified. Having everything and everyone under one roof allows for things to be checked, changed, and dispensed quickly and easily.

For human doctors, the office calls out to an outside pharmacy that has no other info other than what's provided. That's where the mistakes come in, excluding any mistakes made by the any pharmacist not paying attention (how many times have I been given someone else's medication in the drive-through? Lots.).

For vet clinics, the meds dispensed in-house go through the doctor (at the time of prescribing), the tech, the assistant, and the receptionist (at least in my current clinic, that tends to be the chain). I'm not saying there are never mistakes made, but that's 3 people comparing what's in the vial to what the doctor wrote. I've even caught the doctor in math errors and had to go back to her to get the right prescription clarified. Having everything and everyone under one roof allows for things to be checked, changed, and dispensed quickly and easily. For human doctors, the office calls out to an outside pharmacy that has no other info other than what's provided. That's where the mistakes come in, excluding any mistakes made by the any pharmacist not paying attention (how many times have I been given someone else's medication in the drive-through? Lots.).
I believe in retail pharmacy (at least in my chain of stores) errors come into play primarily because of the sheer lack of time and high amounts of stress for pharmacists and techs. It could be dispensed incorrectly simply because the tech who processed it into the computer read the script wrong. Usually the person filling doesn't have the opportunity to view the prescription to correct it. The pharmacist is so busy and pressured by the ridiculous "check 150 scripts per hour" quota in additional to all of the other retail nonsense they have to deal with, that they glance at the prescription instead of taking the time to thoroughly read it and verify. Lots of times a vet facility will call in a prescription with the correct dosage and quantity with no need for a pharmacist to verify the dosage is correct, but it is still dispensed wrong simply because of carelessness. We also have a lot of that happen with giving out the wrong meds. (Like when pharmacists accidentally put someone else's bottle in with your medication bag, what?)

I believe in retail pharmacy (at least in my chain of stores) errors come into play primarily because of the sheer lack of time and high amounts of stress for pharmacists and techs. It could be dispensed incorrectly simply because the tech who processed it into the computer read the script wrong. Usually the person filling doesn't have the opportunity to view the prescription to correct it. The pharmacist is so busy and pressured by the ridiculous "check 150 scripts per hour" quota in additional to all of the other retail nonsense they have to deal with, that they glance at the prescription instead of taking the time to thoroughly read it and verify. Lots of times a vet facility will call in a prescription with the correct dosage and quantity with no need for a pharmacist to verify the dosage is correct, but it is still dispensed wrong simply because of carelessness. We also have a lot of that happen with giving out the wrong meds. (Like when pharmacists accidentally put someone else's bottle in with your medication bag, what?)
Yeah, I can recall opening the bag at home to find someone else's medication instead of my own. Once, the wrong medication was filled for my grandpa. Luckily, we're all pretty good about knowing what he's on. Turns out what they had filled could have caused serious problems not excluding death....

You can't ever justify mistakes like that, especially in that field. Yeah, it's busy. Everyone in every field is busy. Sure, you should always double check your own meds. I'm not ragging on pharmacies, but those errors aren't uncommon. I now triple-check my grandpa's meds every time they're filled.

I think pharmacy experience would be a great thing to talk about in your app. Even if it's not veterinary experience, the principles of filling scripts and the importance of minimizing errors, cost of drugs, etc... are certainly applicable to vet med. I would think being able to intelligibly talk about that, and being able to talk about how that might benefit you in the future, or some insight about most drugs being dispensed inhouse at vet clinics and such would make you stand out.

Yeah, I can recall opening the bag at home to find someone else's medication instead of my own. Once, the wrong medication was filled for my grandpa. Luckily, we're all pretty good about knowing what he's on. Turns out what they had filled could have caused serious problems not excluding death....

You can't ever justify mistakes like that, especially in that field. Yeah, it's busy. Everyone in every field is busy. Sure, you should always double check your own meds. I'm not ragging on pharmacies, but those errors aren't uncommon. I now triple-check my grandpa's meds every time they're filled.
Oh, no. I'm not justifying it at all. It's not okay and sometimes the pharmacists I work with almost blame the customer when mistakes are made. If it was up to me, pharmacists would do nothing but check prescriptions. Retail pharmacy in general is just complete nonsense to me. Too many technicians are hired who lack basic life skills, and those are some of the people filling medications. Good thing you double checked.

I think pharmacy experience would be a great thing to talk about in your app. Even if it's not veterinary experience, the principles of filling scripts and the importance of minimizing errors, cost of drugs, etc... are certainly applicable to vet med. I would think being able to intelligibly talk about that, and being able to talk about how that might benefit you in the future, or some insight about most drugs being dispensed inhouse at vet clinics and such would make you stand out.
This is essentially what I was asking in the first place. Thanks for your feedback :)

Not sure why, but this surprises me. Of all the extensive parts of the application, that's what they want to discuss.
The thing with interviews is that for the ones that are open file, your interviewer(s) has already seen the details of your application. They're really looking to get to know you as a person, and a lot of times are interested in things in your life outside of vet med, or things that didn't get as much attention/detail in your app. I've been asked about hobbies, family history, and in both interviews that I did this cycle we talked extensively about my fiction writing. If you apply and get interviews, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ask you a lot about your pharmacy work.