Will schools send secondaries or IIs if I don't have all prerequisite courses indicated in primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WPXN Learner

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here's the situation: I recently submitted my primary application. However, I realized that I didn't indicate all the prerequisite courses that were required in the primary application. I'm concerned about how this might affect the secondary applications and potential interview invitations.

In my case, I plan on completing these courses before matriculation, but they won't be started by the time secondary applications are sent out or interviews are scheduled.

My question is whether medical schools will still consider sending me secondary applications or interview invitations if I haven't indicated all the prerequisite courses in my primary application.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience or has knowledge about this particular situation. Did you receive secondary applications or interview invitations despite not having all the prerequisites indicated in your primary application?

Additionally, if anyone has advice on how to address this issue with medical schools or suggestions on what steps I should take, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. Your insights and experiences will undoubtedly be valuable to me and others who might be facing a similar predicament.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have listed every course you have taken up to the date of your submission of your application.
Did you do that?
If you are still in college, schools know that you have more terms and more courses coming up.
Complete your pre-reqs by the time you graduate & you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
You should have listed every course you have taken up to the date of your submission of your application.
Did you do that?
If you are still in college, schools know that you have more terms and more courses coming up.
Complete your pre-reqs by the time you graduate & you should be fine.
Yes, I listed all completed courses. My concern is with some prereq courses that I have yet to take but have not indicated in future coursework. Thank you for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our committees like to autosend to everyone who submits their primary to us. Others will screen so it will depend on how much they would look for your listing of all your prereqs. Another one of my committees (not medicine) had us document every outstanding prereq that had to be taken; in that situation, if the candidate was interviewed, the best outcome was a decision-hold, contingent on successful completion of prerequisites as technically they could not receive an offer until they showed they passed their prereqs.

At most medical schools typically, prerequisites are not checked as part of the admission process but as part of the post-acceptance / pre-matriculation phase. As has been previously stated this is because most do not require prereqs to be completed prior to applying but rather prior to matriculation. Additionally, there is no reason for a school to somehow verify prereq completion / scheduled for thousands of applicant where there will only be a few hundred matriculants in the end. There are a few medical school where specific sections of the secondary which more for the admissions committee ease in looking at what a student has done.

Reactions: 1 users