Will there be a way to find out if you are not ranked before match week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a silly question, but assuming you do auditions and get at least like 6 interviews, there is always a chance of not matching. I was wondering, prior to the applicant submitting their rank list, is their any way they can find out if they have not been ranked at all? Just so they have some realistic expectations when submitting their app?

I'm a DO student with low stats and I just want to have an idea as to what to expect before ranking; i.e. whether I'll have to do SOAP. Would someone offer you an interview invitation if they have no intention of ranking you at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Other than your home program, no one is going to waste time interviewing you if you have no chance of being ranked. But your performance at the interview could tip the scales one way or another. But no, there is no way to know if you're ranked or not. And even if you knew you were only ranked at one program, you could match there. So, if you end up with only 6 interviews and poor stats, you should plan on being in SOAP. Better to be prepared for SOAP and not need to do it than the opposite.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you thinking about having to SOAP now when you probably haven't even gone on one interview yet....thinking a little too far ahead here I think.

Why are you thinking about having to SOAP now when you probably haven't even gone on one interview yet....thinking a little too far ahead here I think.
What's wrong with being prepared for the worst? It doesn't hurt, right?

having a low COMLEX score, all I can do is panic and worry about not matching. It's a tough world out there, especially when you're flying alone.

Other than your home program, no one is going to waste time interviewing you if you have no chance of being ranked. But your performance at the interview could tip the scales one way or another. But no, there is no way to know if you're ranked or not. And even if you knew you were only ranked at one program, you could match there. So, if you end up with only 6 interviews and poor stats, you should plan on being in SOAP. Better to be prepared for SOAP and not need to do it than the opposite.

By prepared, do you me expect or actually do somethings to prepare for the SOAP. If there are things to prepare for it now, I would like to know. Thank you.

There's nothing to really "do" to prepare for SOAP other than clear your schedule for the days between No Match Day and Match Day. Since it all goes through ERAS, there's no longer any need to prepare an army of supporters with fax machines. But you need to be available to do phone interviews at the drop of a hat. So have at least 2 phone #s available for you to use and respond to every email/ERAS message within seconds.

The major preparation you need would be psychological/emotional.

What???? What kind of questions is this???

What's the purpose of going through the match process if there are ways to find out about the results beforehand. I am confused.

Well, you could always ask. Might not quite give you the results you're looking for though. (i.e. possible match violation with consequences that could be anything up to a ban from the match)