Will this condition disqualify my friend from a medical license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGal777

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for my friend.

She has a medical condition that will likely entail her getting a ICD (implantable cardio defib) device. Will this deny her getting a medical license to practice medicine? Should she disclose it? It is understood that she cant do radiology due to the magnets and what not.

Thanks.

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Asking for my friend.

She has a medical condition that will likely entail her getting a ICD (implantable cardio defib) device. Will this deny her getting a medical license to practice medicine? Should she disclose it? It is understood that she cant do radiology due to the magnets and what not.

Thanks.

@Goro
A cardiologist I rotated with has an AICD/Pacemaker. He's definitely licensed and credentialed by med staff at the hospital. I'd imagine as long as she's able to perform the duties of a physician it shouldn't be an issue. I'd also imagine her condition might qualify under the ADA and entitle her to reasonable accommodations while in school and residency.
As far as your friend's obligation to disclose it to school....IDK. Probably best she does so they know to not send her to MRI scanners when she's doing clerkships.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the state, licensing is a state by state process due to the constitutional classification of Medicine as an “intra-state commerce” and thus regulated differently in different states. Several state license boards have questions that are illegal under the ADA, but the process of challenging each one in the courts will take years if not decades. Most recently, Ohio and Louisiana’s boards were challenged, but many others remain.

Mental health seems to be (ironically) a bigger barrier to practice across the nation. The consequences of reporting are often punitive, mandatory sessions, interviews with the state board to “assess suitability” and even weekly witnessed drug screens despite no history of drugs...as well as months and months of delay in obtaining a license and jeopardizing people’s fellowships or jobs after residency.

A quick online search will lead you to several academic papers backing this, such as:

It is as shocking as anyone expects, but by the time licensing is an issue you have spent at least 7 years working hard to get to practice medicine. Since doctors are at the mercy of individual states, there is no large collective movement for change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A radiologist doesn't need to be near the magnet unless doing a procedure, mostly with women's imaging procedures, biopsies, etc. All the new pacers now are MRI compatible. Patients must see their cardiologists after an mri to assure their pacer has not been re programmed by the magnet.

Reactions: 2 users
Asking for my friend.

Thanks.

@Goro
I think you are a little confused.
Magnets can turn off pacemakers.
They are not an intrinsic part of a pacemaker itself.
See @Angus Avagadro's post above.

having an ICD is fine. its the absence of a pulse which is generally not preferred.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users