Will this count as a Stats class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pshere

Reaction score
I am taking a course called Statistics and Research Methods for my core requirement for a Psychology major. I was wondering if this will count as a Stats course for Math also instead of my Psych. Also, I took an Intro to Prob/Stats course freshmen semester so will that also count as a Stats class?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably best to check with individual programs you are interested in applying to. Some schools explicitly state that the Stats requirement must be taken from the mathematics department. I personally went back and took a stats course after unsuccessfully trying to get waivers for multiple programs.

It seems as it should. If it is listed as a mathematics course, it definitely will.

I know Biostats is usually counted even though it is listed as a biology course, so this should not be too different. But like stated, just double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can perhaps try to get a letter from the department saying the course is equivalent to an intro level undergrad statistics course. You can then submit the letter either as part of your application or, upon acceptance, for prerequisite review.

Do you need it to count as a stats course? I think you could honestly get away with either. Your intro to prob/stats class also counts so you could just put that. I was a social science major as well and took a similar research methods for social science course and just counted that as not BCPM and no one noticed or cared but I also took a stat class in the stats department so I was sure I was satisfying the stat requirement.