Will this even matter...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycneighbor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a third year undergrad at a quarter system school with a cumulative GPA of 3.81 and a science GPA of 3.78. I could wait it out until spring grades are out, and if things go well, I could move up to a 3.84/3.80, but if I get a couple of A-s, I could easily just end up at 3.82/3.77. Is it worth it to wait, or to take the risk? Is hitting the 3.8 mark for science GPA a big deal for some of the top schools?

If I don't wait, I can turn my application in on the first day. I have a solid MCAT score, strong ECs (leadership, research, awards, working to pay through school, shadowing, teaching), and strong LOCs.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

As a junior most schools like to see your spring grades. I would wait as you will not be late applying. I mean even if you apply on june 2nd you wont even get your 1st secondary until late june so i wouldnt worry. Furthermore if paranoid, SDN posts all the prompts as soon as they come out basically. So you could be writing your 2ndaries even before you apply.

The increase in your gpa will not matter. But im not sure about the other thing the above poster said about them wanting to see another quarter of classes since you are a junior.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got enough units to graduate right now, and so I think it shows that I can handle the coursework. I'll also update schools periodically throughout the cycle on my course grades, but I think that if the GPA increase isn't going to matter, isn't it best to submit it as early as possible?

I've got enough units to graduate right now, and so I think it shows that I can handle the coursework. I'll also update schools periodically throughout the cycle on my course grades, but I think that if the GPA increase isn't going to matter, isn't it best to submit it as early as possible?

Yes its best to submit as early as possible.

The difference in your GPA won't matter.

I've also heard that schools like to see your spring grades if you're a junior... but so what if you don't submit them? I doubt any school will not give you a secondary or not interview you just because you didn't submit your spring grades (if you've had good grades all along).

Someone can correct me if you know otherwise, but I just can't imagine that ever happening.

The difference in your GPA won't matter.

I've also heard that schools like to see your spring grades if you're a junior... but so what if you don't submit them? I doubt any school will not give you a secondary or not interview you just because you didn't submit your spring grades (if you've had good grades all along).

Someone can correct me if you know otherwise, but I just can't imagine that ever happening.
I agree, ive been told by many adcoms that they want spring grades as a junior but if your GPA is strong and you have all your pre reqs done, I cant imagine them doing anything more then possibly asking for an update before they further evaluate you for an interview.