Will this even work?

Started by JP1982
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JP1982

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the Air Force, and I work weird hours that make it difficult to go to a traditional school. I've been enrolled in an online degree program at American Military University to get a degree in Sports and Health Sciences. Since the school requires me to take a science class, I knocked out Intro to Physics rather early. Now, I'm planning on going to either the state school or the tech school in my city to knock out all of my other sciences. I realize that there will be some schools that will look down on this, but do you guys think that getting a Bachelor's from an online institution is something that is insurmountable, or will I be able to leverage a high UG GPA along with a high science GPA and a good MCAT score?
 
I don't think it's insurmountable, but it might make things a little more difficult. There are some schools that won't take your app serious if you have mostly online or cc coursework.

The best thing you can do, is contact the admissions dept at a few med schools of interest. Be persistant because it can be difficult to get much info out schools before you apply. If you can take most of the science pre-reqs at a more traditional school, you will probalby be better off.

Perhaps the uniformed services med school (not sure if that is the correct name) would be more open to applicants in your situation, given your service record.