Will this research look good??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright, Im a Biology major, and I have done some different research then many other people here, from what i have read. I have done alot of enviromental and naturalist research. Like mapping out Owl feeding habits in our region. Doing research on how Hagfish reproduce... Researching on different salamander behavior and habitats. Its pretty much research I am really interested in. How will this look on my application?? Should I even mention it?? Thanx for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

ofcourse mention it. research is research. ofcousre they would like dental research but not many of us can do that in college. i did mine on freakin salamanders haha. good luck

xylashellx said:
ofcourse mention it. research is research. ofcousre they would like dental research but not many of us can do that in college. i did mine on freakin salamanders haha. good luck
lol hey! my vert zoology professor is a weird guy! Had to do what i had to do to get that A :p Think about pulling apart owl pellets to find the skulls of the poor mice and shrews... It can be sick sometimes! Maybe i should mention this on how it gave me the ability to stomach anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, but did you say you were "really interested in" hagfish reproduction? If I remember my zoology correctly, hagfish are covered in a thick coat of slime and loosely resemble snakes. I don't really know what to think of a person who is so fascinated by snot covered snake sex. I guess at the very least it'll make for interesting conversation at the interview.

golfmontpoker said:
lol hey! my vert zoology professor is a weird guy! Had to do what i had to do to get that A :p Think about pulling apart owl pellets to find the skulls of the poor mice and shrews... It can be sick sometimes! Maybe i should mention this on how it gave me the ability to stomach anything!

And now I'm really concerned. You're going to be working on small children and you spent your college years watching bisexual, snot covered fish humping and playing with owl poop. Excellent. I'm not sure you should share that story with the parents...

any kind of research is helpful -- especially if you get published! i studied how the brain processes music.

HermeytheElf said:
I'm sorry, but did you say you were "really interested in" hagfish reproduction? If I remember my zoology correctly, hagfish are covered in a thick coat of slime and loosely resemble snakes. I don't really know what to think of a person who is so fascinated by snot covered snake sex. I guess at the very least it'll make for interesting conversation at the interview.

Well Hermey, maybe you didnt know this... But hagfish reproduction is unknown, and there is a reward of $10,000 for anyone that figures it out... Thats a big chunk of change for a poor college student! Of course, we never figured it out, but none the less, it was educational.

HermeytheElf said:
playing with owl poop. Excellent. I'm not sure you should share that story with the parents...
:laugh: Owl pellets are different then owl poop... Owls eat the rodentia full, and they cannot digest the bones and fur, so they regergetate the bones and fur into...... Owl pellets

golfmontpoker said:
:laugh: Owl pellets are different then owl poop... Owls eat the rodentia full, and they cannot digest the bones and fur, so they regergetate the bones and fur into...... Owl pellets

My mistake. Playing with owl vomit is SO much better than playing with owl poop. That completely changes things. Also, I wasn't aware of the reward for hagfish reproduction...sounds like you are a good capitalist which makes you a-ok in my book...I had my suspicions for a minute there but it seems you aren't a dirty commie after all.

research is good. you don't want any part of your application to be empty.

HermeytheElf said:
My mistake. Playing with owl vomit is SO much better than playing with owl poop. That completely changes things. Also, I wasn't aware of the reward for hagfish reproduction...sounds like you are a good capitalist which makes you a-ok in my book...I had my suspicions for a minute there but it seems you aren't a dirty commie after all.

thanks for this...it made me laugh haha

As everyone else has mentioned, any type of reserach is great. But my suggestion is that instead of going into details about it (in your essay or interviews), you could mention how it has helped you read and research dense scientific papers, work both independently AND as a team, devotion to a topic you were interested in, etc.
best of luck.

HermeytheElf said:
:laugh: Made me laugh also! Thanx for the info guys, appreciate it greatly!

I agree any research is GREAT, however.... I have to wonder... If you are REALLY interested in this type of research why pursue dentistry? Just be sure this is what you want to do...
-C

I guess some is better than none, just be ready for a good explanation of what made you decide to do owls then going to dental school. They may see it as a plus.

Personally I did research related to dental stuff but my results were decidable inclusive so don't know if it will be any better than any other topic.