You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Will this study habit hurt me in the long run?
Started by ATLHawks
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Well it depends if you can stay awake when you know something is important. If not, it could cause you to run into some trouble in college. Luckily, there are a lot of ways to help this problem. The most simple would be to start drinking coffee. You could also get checked out for a case of narcolepsy, but I seriously doubt you have that unless you are randomly falling asleep all of the time.
Good luck.
Good luck.
Well it depends if you can stay awake when you know something is important. If not, it could cause you to run into some trouble in college. Luckily, there are a lot of ways to help this problem. The most simple would be to start drinking coffee. You could also get checked out for a case of narcolepsy, but I seriously doubt you have that unless you are randomly falling asleep all of the time.
Good luck.
I'm sorry, I miss informed you. When I say doze off I mean I lose interest in what I'm reading and think about something else. I do not have problems with focusing, it's just when I read.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but I've never come across Lehninger's Biochemistry or Castanzo's Physiology in audio versions. Additionally, none of the exam proctors that I've encountered were willing to read my exam to me as I was taking it. In a nutshell, it would be in your best interest to become proficient in reading boring material for hours at a time (guess what your first year of medical school is going to be like).
You're not gonna find a lot of stuff you read interesting. Suck it up, and just keep pounding it into your head that although you will never ever use organic chemistry or physics or 15th century romantic literature again, it will eventually get you where you need to go, whether that's medical school, dental school or whatever ends up floating your boat.
When I read a novel for any of my English classes, I tend to doze off. I found it helpful to use an audio reader to listen to as I read. As a future Pre-Dent/Pre-Med student, will this end up hurting me? Should I get used to reading without audio?
Lol, I used to do this....heck I STILL do it. I'm a bad day-dreamer, but I still managed to do well. Make sure you're not tired though, take a power nap if anything. Read the novel at a time when you are most energetic in the day. Immerse yourself in the world of the book, in fact you could try using your imagination to play a visual story of the novel you're reading. If you block out everything, and focus on the book, it should naturally come to you.
D
deleted357625
I'm sorry, I miss informed you. When I say doze off I mean I lose interest in what I'm reading and think about something else. I do not have problems with focusing, it's just when I read.
yes that'll hurt, and first of all english class is very easy. But when it comes time for bio, chem etc better pay attention!
I found setting smaller but multiple reading goals...for some reason when I told myself I would read 100 pages one day I would get through 15. But if I told myself I will read 20 pages x 5 times, it seemed to pass quicker and I had more "reward" experiences.
Weird psychology at work there but it helped me get through endless mind-numbingly boring reading in the first two years of med school. In fact, it still helps.
Weird psychology at work there but it helped me get through endless mind-numbingly boring reading in the first two years of med school. In fact, it still helps.
I found setting smaller but multiple reading goals...for some reason when I told myself I would read 100 pages one day I would get through 15. But if I told myself I will read 20 pages x 5 times, it seemed to pass quicker and I had more "reward" experiences.
Weird psychology at work there but it helped me get through endless mind-numbingly boring reading in the first two years of med school. In fact, it still helps.
Thanks, that's really helpful
Hey ATLHawks I think you should practice actively reading instead of using audio to read it for you. My brother is a pre-med and I don't recall seeing him using audio to read for him. I tend to doze off too when I read, but I realize if I get too much sleep, I tend to doze off less.
When I first started reading my high school assignment I had the same problem too 😛 There are two ways that I learned from someone else: 1) I go to the bathroom, set my quota, and lock myself up until I've finished it; 2) I force myself that whatever I read is immensely interesting and therefore I must read it.
I'm not kidding for method 1 because it worked well for me. The bathroom is a pretty quiet place you know, and whenever you're done with your work you feel glad about what you accomplished. Helps you keep your focus too because it's quiet.
As for method 2, I make myself into believing that what I read is some sort of a fairy tale that MUST be true. I understand there may be differences among people so they might not work, but these techniques were just my .02 to remain focused during reading 🙂
I'm not kidding for method 1 because it worked well for me. The bathroom is a pretty quiet place you know, and whenever you're done with your work you feel glad about what you accomplished. Helps you keep your focus too because it's quiet.
As for method 2, I make myself into believing that what I read is some sort of a fairy tale that MUST be true. I understand there may be differences among people so they might not work, but these techniques were just my .02 to remain focused during reading 🙂
When I first started reading my high school assignment I had the same problem too 😛 There are two ways that I learned from someone else: 1) I go to the bathroom, set my quota, and lock myself up until I've finished it; 2) I force myself that whatever I read is immensely interesting and therefore I must read it.
I'm not kidding for method 1 because it worked well for me. The bathroom is a pretty quiet place you know, and whenever you're done with your work you feel glad about what you accomplished. Helps you keep your focus too because it's quiet.
As for method 2, I make myself into believing that what I read is some sort of a fairy tale that MUST be true. I understand there may be differences among people so they might not work, but these techniques were just my .02 to remain focused during reading 🙂
The bathroom method is interesting. I've never heard of it before actually. I might actually try it once school starts and see how well it works.
Are you sitting on the toilet while reading? Cause that will give you hemorrhoids.
Are you sitting on the toilet while reading? Cause that will give you hemorrhoids.
What if you close the lid and sit on top of the lid? Then it becomes a chair... Case solved 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sitting on the toilet while reading? Cause that will give you hemorrhoids.
Actually, that was the tradeoff and I had to insert "bullets" of suppository Preparation-H to remedy the repurcussions.
*joking
I didn't sit on the toilet. I worked inside the tub, and carried with me a few books inside the tub as well so that I don't have to run in and out of the bathroom. And zwitterion, that's actually a good idea as long as the lid doesn't break 😛
When I read a novel for any of my English classes, I tend to doze off. I found it helpful to use an audio reader to listen to as I read. As a future Pre-Dent/Pre-Med student, will this end up hurting me? Should I get used to reading without audio?
If you can't read a novel, which is like a movie, how will you read class notes and textbooks, which are like lectures?
I suppose you could watch recorded lecture videos over and over, but that is a very slow way to review compared to reading notes/textbooks.
If you can't read a novel, which is like a movie, how will you read class notes and textbooks, which are like lectures?
I suppose you could watch recorded lecture videos over and over, but that is a very slow way to review compared to reading notes/textbooks.
Alright thanks. I actually begun the year actually reading my books. Thanks anyway
Ok, this is the high-yield (no fluff, everything needs to be memorized and are testable) review sheet of 8 hours, or 2 days, of lecture on Biochemistry:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...jAtYzQ5Mi00NWExLWJjYjQtNzM1NzM1NjVmMmMw&hl=en
Remember, though, that all this info will be delivered at a much slower pace in lectures, with pretty powerpoints and animations.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...jAtYzQ5Mi00NWExLWJjYjQtNzM1NzM1NjVmMmMw&hl=en
Remember, though, that all this info will be delivered at a much slower pace in lectures, with pretty powerpoints and animations.
When I read a novel for any of my English classes, I tend to doze off. I found it helpful to use an audio reader to listen to as I read. As a future Pre-Dent/Pre-Med student, will this end up hurting me? Should I get used to reading without audio?
Yes. Build your reading skills now.
Reading will be the primary info delivery method for your career.
I would recommend taking a couple No Doze pills, then sitting down at the library and pouring water on your crotch, that way you're awake and you have no choice but to sit in front of your book and read...
But seriously; I agree with the other poster about setting small goals to achieve. Promise yourself you will get through X paragraphs, then take a short break, then repeat.
But seriously; I agree with the other poster about setting small goals to achieve. Promise yourself you will get through X paragraphs, then take a short break, then repeat.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 544
E
- Question
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 944
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 600
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 5K
