1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Will this work...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by EyeCandy, Apr 16, 2002.

1. EyeCandy

EyeCandy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was hoping someone could shed some light on my letter of recommendation situation. Would it be wise for me to have a letter from a physical sciences professor (statistics, calculus, etc) as my non-science letter of rec rather than from a sociology, history, or another social sciences professor??? All input is appreciated. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'll try to shed some light.....

To be honest with you, if your dental school of interest requires a "non-science letter", I would strongly recommend you to obtain one from a current practicing dentist that you have shadowed and learned from. If you haven't shadowed any dentists yet, then I would suggest you start to do that as well.

Otherwise, your plan of getting a "non-science" letter from a physical science professor should be fine! A "non-science" professor is a "non-science" professor, doesn't matter if (s)he teaches Calculus, Drawing, or Sociology!

I'd go the dentist route of getting a "non-science" letter!

Good luck :cool:

4. brianm74

brianm74 Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Yah-E on this- shadowing dentists looks good on the application, plus you get a letter of recommendation as well. Also, experiences in shadowing dentists gives you ammunition when you write your personal statement for the AADSAS application.

5. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

anyone w/ credential that will write you an AWSOME letter will be fine...but a dental profession that's highly respected would be best!

6. EyeCandy

EyeCandy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the input guys!!
    I may have left some stuff out about my letter of rec situation but I do have volunteer experience and a couple of cool science profs that will write a letter for me. My concern was weather I should use a physical sciences (stats, calc, etc) prof's letter to fulfill the non-science letter that most schools seem to want their applicants to have. The reason why I am thinking about having a physical sciences prof letter is b/c I know a math prof really well and would rather ask her instead of a social sciences prof. I know that there are a lot of dental school acceptees that frequent this forum who know about the specifics of the application process...I hope you guys can help, thanks.