Will this work...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeCandy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could shed some light on my letter of recommendation situation. Would it be wise for me to have a letter from a physical sciences professor (statistics, calculus, etc) as my non-science letter of rec rather than from a sociology, history, or another social sciences professor??? All input is appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try to shed some light.....

To be honest with you, if your dental school of interest requires a "non-science letter", I would strongly recommend you to obtain one from a current practicing dentist that you have shadowed and learned from. If you haven't shadowed any dentists yet, then I would suggest you start to do that as well.

Otherwise, your plan of getting a "non-science" letter from a physical science professor should be fine! A "non-science" professor is a "non-science" professor, doesn't matter if (s)he teaches Calculus, Drawing, or Sociology!

I'd go the dentist route of getting a "non-science" letter!

Good luck :cool:

I agree with Yah-E on this- shadowing dentists looks good on the application, plus you get a letter of recommendation as well. Also, experiences in shadowing dentists gives you ammunition when you write your personal statement for the AADSAS application.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone w/ credential that will write you an AWSOME letter will be fine...but a dental profession that's highly respected would be best!

Thanks for the input guys!!
I may have left some stuff out about my letter of rec situation but I do have volunteer experience and a couple of cool science profs that will write a letter for me. My concern was weather I should use a physical sciences (stats, calc, etc) prof's letter to fulfill the non-science letter that most schools seem to want their applicants to have. The reason why I am thinking about having a physical sciences prof letter is b/c I know a math prof really well and would rather ask her instead of a social sciences prof. I know that there are a lot of dental school acceptees that frequent this forum who know about the specifics of the application process...I hope you guys can help, thanks.