Will You Be RoboDoc?

I disagree with his conclusion, but I agree with his view of where medicine is going. I think, the goal of a physician will continue to be the IT guy: no one cares when everything's working as planned, but when #### hits the fan, he's the only one competent enough to fix it.

I don't think that this author knows anything about the DaVinci system or its application. This reads like a summary of company press releases more than an actual article.

For starters, there isn't a single mention of the JAMA articles about it. Increased complications in radical prostatectomy, more than doubling of procedure lengths just to begin... The increased costs have little to do with the upfront cost of the machine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that this author knows anything about the DaVinci system or its application. This reads like a summary of company press releases more than an actual article.

For starters, there isn't a single mention of the JAMA articles about it. Increased complications in radical prostatectomy, more than doubling of procedure lengths just to begin... The increased costs have little to do with the upfront cost of the machine.

Actually the prostate data for the robot is pretty good. Less bleeding/transfusion requirement, lower rates of positive margins (albeit on retrospective series), mixed data on shortening length of stay. No increased complication rates have been shown, in fact reduced intraop complications were shown (once again on retrospective data). Definitely more expensive though.