William Carey 2017 MS in Biomedical Science program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackStar90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to start this thread for anyone who has already gone through the WC MBS program as well as those who still plan on applying even though a tornado ripped through the campus as well as those who have been accepted and plan to attend still. I'm open to all insight about the program and medical school. I will admit I am concerned about the rebuilding of the campus but I've heard some pretty good things about the program from friends that are in it and those who went through it. I'm just welcoming more insight about the program. My current situation is that I've been accepted into the MBS program. I'm waiting to hear back from:

Creighton's certificate post bacc program
PCOM Georgia's Special Masters program

As well as interview invites from two Allopathic medical schools and three Osteopathic medical schools.

I guess part of what I would like to hear would be peoples perspectives on the WC program and what they think would be in my best interest. Although I would say as of right now the WC MBS is still my top back up plan because their percentage of students that get into professional schools is pretty solid.

I look forward to hearing what my fellow colleagues have to say!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about the program. I only went to USM. I'll probably apply. I haven't seen any facts or figures about graduates.

I don't know much about the program. I only went to USM. I'll probably apply. I haven't seen any facts or figures about graduates.

Cool just contact Miss Woodlin or the director Dr. Roark. The numbers are pretty good as far as percentage of students getting into professional programs. And they have room for around 100 students but he chooses to keep it small at around 30 students. Best of luck! It's a good program.

What's the gpa requirement for this program for admissions into the DO school? Their site says an applicant need about 20-25 on the mcat and about 80% make it to professional schools, but it fails to state how many make it to WMC DO program. Is this also a 1 year program? And are the classes doable? Thanks!

What's the gpa requirement for this program for admissions into the DO school? Their site says an applicant need about 20-25 on the mcat and about 80% make it to professional schools, but it fails to state how many make it to WMC DO program. Is this also a 1 year program? And are the classes doable? Thanks!

They do not state any GPA requirement from what I know. And to be honest mine was not all that. I can probably almost guarantee your GPA won't be a problem. I feel like they look at the applicant as a whole just like the medical school admissions board. As far as % getting into WC you will probably want to contact Miss Woodlin for that info. E-mail is best right now unless their phones are back up. I say that because many of the MBS students apply to other programs for Dental, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy school. So to get a more definitive answer you will probably need to contact them. Now what attractedme to the school is that for the people I know that got into the program and were aiming for medical school all got into a medical school. For the ones I know it was William Carey's COM but they have told me that some of their former MBS classmates got into Allopathic schools too. So I would say go for it! It's only like 30$ to apply. Has MCAT prep and you basically take classes from the same professors that teach on the COM. And the school actively recruits from the program. So granted you get in, just be very intentional in your interest in WC COM and I'm pretty sure you will get in granted you do well in the program and decent on the MCAT.

As far as classes being doable. I personally feel like all programs are doable the minute that program has a graduating class lol. From what I hear and when I visited it is a close knit community and the professors go out of their way to make sure you grasp the material. The prior students that are now in the COM say it's a step down in difficulty from the COM but it's still no cake walk beacuse if you do well in the program you will definitely do well in the COM. And I have heard from every one of them to make sure you have a good study group because you may not do well independently. I hope this helps!!!

Reactions: 1 user
They do not state any GPA requirement from what I know. And to be honest mine was not all that. I can probably almost guarantee your GPA won't be a problem. I feel like they look at the applicant as a whole just like the medical school admissions board. As far as % getting into WC you will probably want to contact Miss Woodlin for that info. E-mail is best right now unless their phones are back up. I say that because many of the MBS students apply to other programs for Dental, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy school. So to get a more definitive answer you will probably need to contact them. Now what attractedme to the school is that for the people I know that got into the program and were aiming for medical school all got into a medical school. For the ones I know it was William Carey's COM but they have told me that some of their former MBS classmates got into Allopathic schools too. So I would say go for it! It's only like 30$ to apply. Has MCAT prep and you basically take classes from the same professors that teach on the COM. And the school actively recruits from the program. So granted you get in, just be very intentional in your interest in WC COM and I'm pretty sure you will get in granted you do well in the program and decent on the MCAT.

As far as classes being doable. I personally feel like all programs are doable the minute that program has a graduating class lol. From what I hear and when I visited it is a close knit community and the professors go out of their way to make sure you grasp the material. The prior students that are now in the COM say it's a step down in difficulty from the COM but it's still no cake walk beacuse if you do well in the program you will definitely do well in the COM. And I have heard from every one of them to make sure you have a good study group because you may not do well independently. I hope this helps!!!

It does help, thanks for replying. I hope to apply to this program after receiving my mcat (they also take GRE scores) score in may. I did receive an email from Ms.Woodland and I'll post her response below for current and future applicants:

" Our normal class size ranges from about 30-35 on average. Usually we have about half of our students who apply to our DO school. Of that number about 40 to 50% that get an interview actually get into our DO school. For example, last year about 14 MBS students got an interview with the DO school. 7 of them ended up getting in"

It does help, thanks for replying. I hope to apply to this program after receiving my mcat (they also take GRE scores) score in may. I did receive an email from Ms.Woodland and I'll post her response below for current and future applicants:

" Our normal class size ranges from about 30-35 on average. Usually we have about half of our students who apply to our DO school. Of that number about 40 to 50% that get an interview actually get into our DO school. For example, last year about 14 MBS students got an interview with the DO school. 7 of them ended up getting in"

Nice! And from what the director Dr. Roark said is that the only thing that stops WC MBS students from getting in is the MCAT. He told me if you get a 500+ and do well in the MBS program (granted you build some type of relationship with your professors so you can get good letters or rec) it's basically a walk in into the COM! So whatever way you can, try to study for the MCAT before taking the 5 week prep class so that the class is a review and not you trying to cram 4 years worth of material into 5 weeks. I'm actually studying for the MCAT now LoL. Even if for now you do 30 mins a day or something, try to get it in.

Now I will say May is a little late so you may want to go ahead and apply now and get all your Information in and them tell them that you are waiting for your scores. Keep in mind that although they have room for like 100 students they only let in ~30. Hopefully you get in this year because I'm gonna try my best to have the class unified so we all do well.

Has anyone else been accepted yet?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

My application was recently completed and sent to the MBS office for review on March 2nd. I was wondering how long it took for you to hear back from them and how they sent your acceptance letter (through email or mail)?

My application was recently completed and sent to the MBS office for review on March 2nd. I was wondering how long it took for you to hear back from them and how they sent your acceptance letter (through email or mail)?

Nice, so I finished all my stuff Jan. And got accepted like mid Feb. So I would estimate you hearing something by like the end of the month or early to mid next month.

For those who have already been accepted, would you mind sharing your MCAT score/ GPA? I have confidence in my GPA, but am worried about my non-competitive MCAT score. I got all my materials into the admissions office last week. Curanda Woodland said it should be about a week (two weeks maximum) to hear back from the admissions committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have already been accepted, would you mind sharing your MCAT score/ GPA? I have confidence in my GPA, but am worried about my non-competitive MCAT score. I got all my materials into the admissions office last week. Curanda Woodland said it should be about a week (two weeks maximum) to hear back from the admissions committee.
494, I think they consider a range of things, especially if you GPA is good as long as you meet the 490 benchmark you should be good to go. Your score is probably even better than mine.

Plus they have that MCAT prep course for 5 weeks so don't even stress it. Just pray and relax! (And let us know when you get in!) I want to start a good group of study partners. We need a 4.0's haha.

Plus they have that MCAT prep course for 5 weeks so don't even stress it. Just pray and relax! (And let us know when you get in!) I want to start a good group of study partners. We need a 4.0's haha.

Yes, I will definitely need that MCAT course! I will keep y'all updated. Hopefully, I will get accepted and be ready to bust some butt!

I just realized I forgot to tell you how I got the acceptance. I got it via E-mail. My bad !

The tentative dates for the Prep course will be July 10- August 19th.

I was just accepted today? Does anyone know how much the MCAT course is and should we sign up for the MCAT after the course is over?

I was just accepted today? Does anyone know how much the MCAT course is and should we sign up for the MCAT after the course is over?

Super CONGRATS! It's included in tuition. I think it's approximately 1,500 give or take according to a buddy of mine who is about to graduate from the program and she took it the Saturday before school started but for us according to the dates given seems like the course ends the Sat before classes start. I guess it depends on if you feel ready to take it. But I'm pretty sure they are going to encourage us to take it before classes start or at least within those first few weeks before the classes turn up.

Congrats! I'm thinking of applying concurrently with my app to their DO School (haven't heard back yet for an interview :( )

Would you mind telling me what your GPA and MCAT are? I have a good MCAT score (508) but a very bad GPA (>2.5 but <3.0) so I'm nervous about applying. Thanks!

Congrats! I'm thinking of applying concurrently with my app to their DO School (haven't heard back yet for an interview :( )

Would you mind telling me what your GPA and MCAT are? I have a good MCAT score (508) but a very bad GPA (>2.5 but <3.0) so I'm nervous about applying. Thanks!

My MCAT was not good, 492. My GPA is a 3.6. I think your MCAT score will give you a good chance! Let us know when you hear back! Good Luck!

So my application has not been reviewed yet by the admissions committee because I will not have my Bachelors degree until may. To those that were accepted, do you already have a bachelors degree or did you ask for them to make a contingent dicision?

So my application has not been reviewed yet by the admissions committee because I will not have my Bachelors degree until may. To those that were accepted, do you already have a bachelors degree or did you ask for them to make a contingent dicision?
I had gotten my bachelors May 2016 before getting accepted. But from what I heard from Miss Woodland they are trying to get the class size numbers up so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just finish strong!

Congrats! Another future study buddy!

Thank you! I am really excited to start this journey. I noticed you mentioned dates that you had found for when the MCAT prep course starts. What is the date for that? I know classes start August 28th.

Thank you! I am really excited to start this journey. I noticed you mentioned dates that you had found for when the MCAT prep course starts. What is the date for that? I know classes start August 28th.

The agreement to pay the class deposit I signed said August 21st classes start. Did yours say different?

The agreement to pay the class deposit I signed said August 21st classes start. Did yours say different?

My agreement does have a different date it says August 28, 2017.

My agreement does have a different date it says August 28, 2017.
Hmm. Ok I'll have to check this out. That would be crazy if they changed the date lol. But I guess that would actually be better of they kept the prep course time the same it would give around a week in between.

Hmm. Ok I'll have to check this out. That would be crazy if they changed the date lol. But I guess that would actually be better of they kept the prep course time the same it would give around a week in between.

Mine also says the 28th, and I believe Mrs. Woodland informed me classes start the 28th.

Ok, thanks. Not Ideal what happened with my contact but sounds good.

Whoa major typo here lol I meant to say no idea what happened with my contract. Lol. Looks like that changed the starting date from what they planned in Jan.
IMG_20170412_161456.jpeg

My MCAT was not good, 492. My GPA is a 3.6. I think your MCAT score will give you a good chance! Let us know when you hear back! Good Luck!

Hey sorry I haven't been on SDN for awhile. I actually was quickly admitted within about 4 days. I went down personally to talk with Dr. Roark and it looked like a very close-knit community and a great program for students looking for a smaller program.

I actually just received an interview on May 15th for their DO program, so I'm really hoping to get into it. Wish me luck!

I have a BS from 2016. As long as you receive the the degree, I think you'll be good for admission! Good luck.

Hey sorry I haven't been on SDN for awhile. I actually was quickly admitted within about 4 days. I went down personally to talk with Dr. Roark and it looked like a very close-knit community and a great program for students looking for a smaller program.

I actually just received an interview on May 15th for their DO program, so I'm really hoping to get into it. Wish me luck!
Good luck I hope you get in!

Has anyone heard anything else after sending in their seat deposit? Just wanting to know if I should be registering for classes or something right now

Has anyone heard anything else after sending in their seat deposit? Just wanting to know if I should be registering for classes or something right now
No I haven't. I logged on and we aren't even able to register yet.

Posted in another thread, but I'm closely related to someone in the WCU MBS program. To say that the level of disappointment in this program is high would be a disappointment. We're all disappointed in it. I've heard the education for one year is great. It is time consuming. It's challenging. The 80% might be correct. But it would include dental, PT, PA, Pharmacy.

Dr. Roark is a nice guy from what I've heard. However, they've currently sent out 6 secondaries to current MBS students. 17 applied out of the program. There was allegedly a 3 person MBS committee that decided whether or not an MBS student got a secondary and therefore got an interview. They cut off the MCAT at around 495 from what I've been told. They essentially disregarded MBS performance as the student of the year, who had a 4.0 GPA in the MBS program, did not get a secondary. There were several other students who I've been told have fairly strong (above 3.5 MBS GPA) performances but were not given an interview.

According to the operating rationale, Dr. Weir, the Dean of Admissions, believes there is a correlation between MCAT and board scores, which might be fair in general, but the research does not bear this rationale out given one thing that's currently circulating, which will be addressed with a link below. I've read two of the widely referenced articles published on this topic and there is a GENERAL correlation between between MCAT and board scores, but there is no research that would allow anyone to conclude that a 500 would indicate an increased probability over someone with a 495 to pass/score well on the USMLE/COMLEX. The separation and classification of these studies based on scores is not a major consideration. The only study I read considered "high" scorers as 35 and "low" scorers as 28. That's an 11 point difference for the purpose of the study converted to the new MCAT, and the conclusion was the 11 point difference had moderate to low correlation generally speaking. A 5 point difference is half that and the correlation would be even lower.

Anyway, I say all that to say this:

WCU College of Osteopathic Medicine and Millsaps College confirm partnership for medical students | William Carey University

Students have found out that Dr. Weir initiated a partnership with his alma mater, Milsaps, to GUARANTEE admission to the WCU COM. The requirements are 500 MCAT and 3.25 UGPA. So, 500 MCAT is the baseline to operate from. There are students in the low to mid 490s with relatively strong performances (above 3.5) in WCU's own Master's program who didn't receive interviews. So you go from 100% chance coming from Milsaps with a 3.25/500 to a 0% with 495/3.5+ MBS GPA at WCU. The board score argument is also not germane given the separation between 500 and 495. Even at 492 it would be a low correlation because the University of Minnesota's study concluded low to moderate correlation.

One obvious question is why WCU COM partnered with a Methodist school to guarantee admission to 10 students to increase recruitment efforts at Milsaps when WCU's OWN UNDERGRADUATE UNIVERSITY DOESN'T HAVE THIS TYPE OF AGREEMENT IN PLACE. It's a recruitment tool for Milsaps. Why WCU wants to recruit good students to Milsaps as opposed to their own school is beyond me. Mississippi College would make more sense. I promise, though, Dr. Weir would not want to commit 20% of his class potentially to students tied into Milsaps and WCU.

The other obvious question is why they don't consider the Master's work in their own program taught by the WCU's COM faculty as superior to an undergraduate education at Milsaps.

The glaring deficiency in their rationale is published stats by the AAMC indicate one is more likely to be accepted to allopathic medical school with a 3.6/494-497 than someone with a 3.2/500. Yet, the new initiative that guarantees admission to Milsaps students bucks this trend. The sliding scale descriptively employed seems not to apply here. Also, this is master's level work and it's less respected than Milsaps UGPA.

So DO NOT EXPECT THIS PROGRAM TO GET YOU INTO WCU COM WITHOUT A 500ish MCAT. They'd argue it's not portal and it doesn't replace MCAT. But last year students with lower MCAT scores were accepted leaving the current students confused to say the least. They're partially arguing the competitive applicant class with higher average MCAT scores this year as the reason for fewer interviews. However, if that's the case, and it fluctuates depending on the applicants, WHY AGREE TO GUARANTEE ADMISSION TO 10 MILSAPS STUDENTS WITH 3.25/500? In 3 years, 500 may be low for WCU.

So, the 50% stats MIGHT have been true last year BUT they must be contextualized. Several got in off the WL. And this year's class WILL NOT get 50% of applicants into the COM as of now. At best, 6/17 will be admitted as it stands now.

I'll update if it changes, but the secondary submission deadline has passed. There is more I've been told, but this accurate summarizes many current MBS students' attitudes toward the MBS program. I'd look into an MBS program that's portal if nothing changes. Otherwise you're taking an unnecessary risk. Risk/Reward ratio here is out of control. You're taking "medical school equivalent classes". You can't make Cs like med school students can, granted I'm sure med school classes are more difficult. You're judged on the GPA still.

Instead of doing MBS, which costs 20-40k, take a 5-10k loan out. Find the best MCAT prep class you can. Sublet an apt for a few months. Score well on MCAT. Then you're good. This is assuming you have a reasonably competitive UGPA. If you have 3.5+ UGPA, why risk taking "med school equivalent classes" at 20-40k that could hurt your chances of getting in if there's little to no reward in the context of getting in WCU? To be fair, there might be some bump from being an MBS student, but it's not much. The education is solid, but I'm sure it's solid almost everywhere. So either go MCAT route or go MBS with official portal program.

Have y'all thought about housing and loan money to live off of? I've tried contacting Finacle aid with questions I have about what students in this program usually do for housing and money to live off of, but they haven't returned my calls.

Have y'all thought about housing and loan money to live off of? I've tried contacting Finacle aid with questions I have about what students in this program usually do for housing and money to live off of, but they haven't returned my calls.
Yeah, from my understanding you get 6 K each trimester for a refund check.

Most students get an apt. We can live on campus too but it's more expensive. I'm actually trying to figure out where I'm going to be living at right now. Lol

Call Lorna Mitchell she is the financial aid counsler for the COM

Office: 601-318-6009
E mail: [email protected]

Has anyone heard if there are any required events we need to attend the week between the end of the MCAT course and the beginning of classes? I registered for the MCAT August 24th and am hoping there's nothing that conflicts with that date. Also, would anyone be interested in starting a facebook page for this years class?

Has anyone heard if there are any required events we need to attend the week between the end of the MCAT course and the beginning of classes? I registered for the MCAT August 24th and am hoping there's nothing that conflicts with that date. Also, would anyone be interested in starting a facebook page for this years class?
That may be a question to email them. They have been pretty quiet in relation to the program lol.

I'm definitely interested in starting a FB page. I asked Miss Woodland about that in April she told me to remind her sometime in May perhaps now one of us can tell her to make the FB page and add ppl.

Helloooo just got accepted to this program and i'm thinking about attending. what other programs did you guys choose this one over? is there a facebook group? and have you guys looked in to housing yet?

Helloooo just got accepted to this program and i'm thinking about attending. what other programs did you guys choose this one over? is there a facebook group? and have you guys looked in to housing yet?
Congrats! No Facebook group yet. And this is currently my top choice. To be honest the MCAT prep program is really a gem. Granted you're aiming for medical school.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile app

Hey guys! I was just accepted today. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!! Let me know when a Facebook group is set up.

I'm having to move back to MS from out of state... if anyone has any suggestions on an affordable place to live in a nice area let me know!

hey, anyone accepted recently or weighing this program against others? just curious about everyones thought processes, how they feel about the program, etc. Post here or you can hit me in the pm's if you'd like

hey, anyone accepted recently or weighing this program against others? just curious about everyones thought processes, how they feel about the program, etc. Post here or you can hit me in the pm's if you'd like
After much thought and consideration, I decided to choose this program over LMU Biomedical Sciences. WCU is about an hour away from my family on the MS gulf coast so it will be a much easier move for me. The MCAT prep course was another big factor for me. If you're looking to raise your MCAT and science GPA I think this will be a great program!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Just wanted to let ya'll know to expand your studying beyond Kaplan's prep. I'd suggest using AKLectures.com for biochem/bio and Chadsvideos.com for chemistry. These are free sources and are amazing! I used these religiously.

I'd also suggest reading through (multiple times) the reddit psychology 100 page study guide.

And make sure to do atleast 5 practice exams (3 AAMC, the Section bank multiple times, and 1-2 non-kaplan practice exam) ontop of the kaplan exams!

Although Kaplan is great, I think the BMS program at WCU only administers one practice exam, which I believe is no where enough. Otherwise, you all should be prepared in terms of content review! I got a 508 and studied for a month and a half using the stuff I just posted.

Good luck to everyone taking the MCAT; ya'll got this!

Reactions: 3 users