Wingate vs. UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beng

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a double major Bio/Chem and am thinking of applying to pharmacy school here locally in NC. My two choices are UNC and Wingate. Now I've heard really good things about UNC but Wingate seems to be a not-as-upthere school as UNC is. Am I right here? Or am I totally off? How does Wingate rank as a pharmacy school vs. UNC, and if you're feeling extra helpful how does UNC rank as a pharmacy school, it just seems that nobody in this forum is raving about getting into UNC. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There have been plenty of treads about UNC. UNC is a very good school, with a "clinically orriented" progam as my interviewer put it. The ratings out there are really just opinions of people in the field and faculty at schools, so don't put too much stock in them. You really should look for a school that you'll like the program structure and location. That said UNC is certainly up there in the world of pharmacy schools and obviously has strong name recognition.

I didn't apply to UNC, but I believe it is highly ranked. Also since you live in NC it will be cheaper to go there. I interviewed and was accepted at Wingate (and I will be attending it in the fall), and I think it is/will be a great school, but they haven't graduated a class so it's hard to tell how it ranks. I recommend researching these two schools a little more (and other schools), and check out the other threads on wingate and UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wingate has become my top choice, over UF... I don't know about UNC though. I liked the idea of having over 2250 hours of experience by the time I graduate. The small class size was a big selling point for me too. Although, I'm not too worried about "rank"... since I don't expect it'll impact my possible residency or future job applications. Too many residencies are going unfulfilled so competition isn't intense.

I belive UNC was ranked 3rd nationally in the latest US News rankings for whatever that is worth. It's obviously a great school, especially if you are interested in clinical practice as mentioned above. If I got into both there wouldn't be much debate...UNC has a proven track record and outstanding reputation.

UNC, NO QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have met several admissions representatives at my current school and there are ENDLESS clinical opportunities when you do your rotations, even a rotation at the FDA in Washingon, D.C.!!!!!!!!!