Winter Break Step 1 Study Schedule - Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aloha_Medicine

Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers,

I am an M2 who is scheduled to take Step 1 in mid-May. I am interested in feedback for my proposed winter study schedule, and hearing what has worked for others. My target score is eventually 235+.

Our school has finished all organ blocks, and the remaining content for next semester consists of multisystems and some other miscellaneous material. Our dedicated step study starts in mid-March, giving me 2 months of dedicated time. I am currently on winter break until January 11th. Resources I have been using during school include First Aid, Pathoma, B&B, Sketchy, and Anki.

For winter break, my goal is to go through the Amboss step one question bank. I've done about 200 questions over the past couple of days with a 45% correct rate. Note so far I did these in study mode and not exam mode in 20 question intervals. Moving forward, my plan is as follows:

Mon - Friday: Three 60-minute blocks of 40 questions in the morning. Two hours of reviewing the questions at night. One hour of anki throughout the day.
Saturday: Five hours of review work, catching up on anything I didn't get to during the week. One hour of anki throughout the day
Sunday: One hour of anki throughout the day, otherwise rest, relax, and enjoy the break!

The last weekend of winter break, I plan to take a full-length diagnostic practice test to see where I'll be. Next year, I plan to revolve my study plan around UWorld/Rx.

Here are some specific questions I have:
1. Have people found it more useful to do questions by system or mixed together starting off? While the goal is to simulate the test with mixed questions, I am split on whether it would be worth it to start my review with questions by system to help guide my studies.
2. In addition to the 6 NBME practice tests, what practice tests are available? I would prefer to save those for dedicated. I could save 280 amboss questions for a mock practice test, but I think the ratio of questions for each system would be off and I wouldn't get any type of score report.
3. What techniques have you guys found useful for reviewing questions? So far, I really like the explanations amboss provides and the quick links to its content summaries.

In general, I am open to all other feedback, criticism, and suggestions. SDN really helped me with my MCAT study schedule back in the day and so I am here again asking for help. I appreciate you all!

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot properly be reviewing 3 sets of 40 in 2 hours.
It takes 2 hours to review a single set of 40 questions at the start.

Anki should not be on a time frame.
I am a massive fan of anki, but you need to spend as much time as you need to do ALL your reviews EVERY single day, plus your new cards which should be at least 50.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, I'm in a similar boat. I'm shocked you guys get an entire month off for winter break, wow. I had the same question regarding doing mixed question blocks or not, and from what I've read, seems like people do systems-targeted blocks for qbanks other than UWorld. Would love to hear from those who have been through it already.