winter driving question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjc1201

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it a good idea to drive to interviews in snowbelt cities or cities in mid-west?? How bad are those snow stroms? Is a front-drive mid-size sadan OK?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you schedule the programs with the roughest weather earlier.

Originally posted by jjc1201
Hi,

Is it a good idea to drive to interviews in snowbelt cities or cities in mid-west?? How bad are those snow stroms? Is a front-drive mid-size sadan OK?

It's not a good idea to drive during the bad weather months. As pimmar suggested, interview at the mid-west programs before the bad weather starts.

They can get pretty bad. Schedule early if you can. However, I (a through and through sunny weather gal) survived bad snowstorms in the NE a couple of years ago - so if you have to, use the safest car, have your roadside assistance up-to-date, and leave yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.

Thanks guys for the advice!

Is there big difference in weather between Dec and Jan? which month gets more snow?

If I can't schedule for early (November) interview, is it better to schedule the interviews in early Dec and late Jan than late Dec and early Jan?

As far as the driving question goes. I grew up in Idaho, UT, and CO, so I have driven in it all, but from the nature of your question, I would say you haven't, so I wouldn't suggest starting when you have such an important appointment to make. When I came out to interview I drove between appointments, and the roads were just fine.

I am now in the midwest. While I have only seen one winter, I would say January will get worse weather, but you can't count on it. However, even back in the west, the majority of days the roads are just fine. It is just if you happen to get the bad luck of needing to drive during a storm that you have to worry about it.

Now, here are the winter tips I give my California and Arizona friends. Keep an eye on the weather. If there is a possibility of a storm, leave enough time in your schedule that you can pull of the road and hit a hotel for the night if needed. Bring a sleeping bag or clothes, so you could sleep in your car if you were to slide off the road in the middle of no where. Bring a cell phone. If you can, practice turning and stoping in an empty parking lot before you hit the road.

Just my thoughts.

Betta go buy a new Hummer H2 and put on 23" Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 HeavyDuty Snow tires!!! :)

More seriously, I'd just be extra careful, use common sense, and allow extra distance for stopping. Oh also if your car has ABS, just slam the brakes and hold it even if u start feeling the car sliding.. the abs will do the work for you... but if u don't have abs, you're gonna have to pump your brakes 30+times/sec to make it stop w/o hitting the car in front... also if u buy snow tires the narrower they are the better in snow. finally, make sure you take some extra food, heavy clothing, water, blankets, first aid kit etc in the car in case u get stuck in major blizzard .. may save your life

The weather in January is usually worse than December but you have to deal with more people traveling (shopping, coming home on break etc.) in December. A FWD car definitely helps and of course a 4X4 is best. I can only recall a few times, here in the midwest and when we lived in New England, when I really probably could not have made it to an interview (ie Blizzard conditions) but I have always lived where we got a fair amount of snow so I know how to drive on snow and ice. If you have no snow/ice experience then you could run into trouble. When road conditions are severe is really takes it's toll on you mentally and I would be worried that you may end up late to an interview and really frazzled. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello! i'm from ohio and boy, you make is sound like i live in iceland! its not that bad if you have driven in snow before. if you haven't, just be extra careful, leave earlier. this is for ohio only...cause i don't know other places. i guess ask the people from places like syracuse, rochester, wisconsin, etc. good luck driving! always keep your cell phone on you as well as a flash light, your triple A card, clothes to change into post-flat tire, etc!

gwen