Technology wireless help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that70sShow

Jul 5, 2007
Reaction score
ok I have an issue: I'm moving to a place that has no broadband/DSL, nothing. They gave me..a dial up line =( I wanted something faster, so I got a verizon wireless USB modem (USB 760) and I'm on this plan:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

The 5GB one, and...it works like crap:scared: Is there anything I can get (with no DSL, cable infrastructure installed) that's comparable to DSL, high speed stuff? I can't even watch a 5 minute youtube video without it stalling every 3 seconds..:mad:

This is the USB modem I got:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4327

Is there a better one? thx..

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it's no wonder you're having trouble, that is def. their crap model USB modem. If you can hook an external antenna into it I would do that in order to get better reception, otherwise you will need to get a new modem, preferably one that doesn't suck. Also, depending on your computer system, you might be able to install a card and use the antenna in your system that you use for Wi-Fi, that would offer a significant improvement over what you have. Good luck.

Good God, where did you move? Toad Spit, Nebraska? What place has no high speed internet whatsoever? Sheesh, even DSL seems crude to me.

:scared:

You have my deepest sympathy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have 3G access, ditch the modem altogether. Get on a plan/provider that allows tethering (if none do, just hack your phone) and use the 3G for your internet use on your laptop. And a pre-emptive "I don't care" to anyone who is gonna lecture me on hacking/jailbreaking.

If you have 3G access, ditch the modem altogether. Get on a plan/provider that allows tethering (if none do, just hack your phone) and use the 3G for your internet use on your laptop. And a pre-emptive "I don't care" to anyone who is gonna lecture me on hacking/jailbreaking.

ok what's 3G?

ok what's 3G?

Exactly.

If they don't even have DSL or cable modems where you are, it's unlikely that they have a robust 3G cellular network. Tethering isn't really ideal for your main method of internet access, anyway.

Satellite. Seriously.

Well, it's no wonder you're having trouble, that is def. their crap model USB modem. If you can hook an external antenna into it I would do that in order to get better reception, otherwise you will need to get a new modem, preferably one that doesn't suck. Also, depending on your computer system, you might be able to install a card and use the antenna in your system that you use for Wi-Fi, that would offer a significant improvement over what you have. Good luck.

I'm so confused..Can I have step by step instructions? I'm willing to try the antenna thing.. I could get a new modem too - can you give me a link of what I should buy? I guess I'm going to return this modem tomorrow (its the trial period now, at no cost).. uhh I have HP Pavillion dv 9000...ok I'm just taking a shot in the dark, this is what I see on my computer:

c:\ 55 GB free of 85
D:\ 95 GB total
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz
Memory: 2GB
RAM: 2046 MB
64-bit operating system
Windows XP I think

Thanks..

Last edited:
Good God, where did you move? Toad Spit, Nebraska?

Ok y'all are gonna laugh..Upper East Side NYC.. its one of those Really Old buildings, its...well its a dormitory-type subsidized housings that never caught up to the 20th century.. there's no internet infrastructure whatsoever except on the 1st floor, you have to hook up your computer to a cable on the 1st floor only (they do this for cost purposes too)..but I wanted to access internet from my "dorm" room... they gave me a dial-up line..thats it:confused:

Also: 2nd question: which speed should I get? I looked at the status of what I have now (we have verizon (something you plug in with a cable) at home), it says 100mbps..that can't be right..all the other plans say something like 1.2 mbps..so..I'm going to get 1% of my speed:confused::confused::confused:

Philistine. I wouldn't drink Starblech's coffee if you paid me.

Their beans are over-roasted. I agree, it's not to everyone's taste.

That may be one reason why most people order their flavored drinks. These are, of course, more expensive than a cup of black coffee. Good strategy, no? ;)

Their beans are over-roasted. I agree, it's not to everyone's taste.

That may be one reason why most people order their flavored drinks. These are, of course, more expensive than a cup of black coffee. Good strategy, no? ;)

I only frequent a local indie coffee shop. I went to Starbucks once and got a vanilla latte. It was like drinking Wite-Out. I actually drove back through the drive through to ask them if they forgot to put the coffee in the drink. :smuggrin:

So I returned the verizon wireless crappy modem today, and I'm now looking for a better modem/way of connection..

Blue Dog just curious do you still think satellite is the way to go? (Starbucks is not an option for me since I like to hang in my room and surf:cool:)

Blue Dog just curious do you still think satellite is the way to go? (Starbucks is not an option for me since I like to hang in my room and surf:cool:)

Well, when I originally posted that, I thought you were living in BFE.

Satellite is still an option, assuming you can put a dish on your building and have a clear line of sight to the satellite.