Wisconsin is opening up a new school by 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

They tout wanting to train the next gen of pharmacists to provide enhanced services... yet we can't get paid for them. I think it's great and all but they should wait until there is a proper market place for that kind of training. As it is now clinical pharms are employed as a cost savings measure to improve metrics in hospitals and will also typically make less than retail anyway.
 
Wisconsin seems like one of the few places left with a halfway decent job market. I don't see why we want to ruin that.

We already have one state school and one me too school. That's enough as it is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^^ I agree, no need for another pharmacy mill. Concordia opening made it easy for Wisconsin students to stay in state for pharmacy school if they wanted, but another school in Milwaukee would really crowd things.
 
I used to think the forecast of complete pharmacist saturation was being overstated, but what I was naïve to, was that there would be no end to the opening of pharmacies. The best future job for a pharmacist that I now see, is in opening their own pharmacy school. Maybe someone with an entrepreneurial spirit could set up an MLM business for pharmacy schools? I guess it would be more like a franchise business, since the francisee would be selling a service, and not an actual product...I'm not a business person, but however someone set that up, it could be quite lucrative for that person, as well as for the first people with enough foresight to buy into the business. I don't have the business acumen to set it up, but if someone else does, I'll be willing to pony up payment and be your first franchisee or first layer of your MLM. The city I live in does not have a pharmacy school, so obviously it needs one!
 
The supply of pharmacists is projected to increase by 35 percent between 2012 and 2025 (Exhibit 1), reflecting growth over the past decade in the annual number of new pharmacists trained. Demand for pharmacists, which is determined by the number of prescriptions filled, is projected to grow by 16 percent. It is projected that supply will exceed demand in 2025, suggesting that the U.S. will have adequate numbers of pharmacists to meet future demand.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/supplydemand/usworkforce/projections/pharmacists.pdf
 
The supply of pharmacists is projected to increase by 35 percent between 2012 and 2025 (Exhibit 1), reflecting growth over the past decade in the annual number of new pharmacists trained. Demand for pharmacists, which is determined by the number of prescriptions filled, is projected to grow by 16 percent. It is projected that supply will exceed demand in 2025, suggesting that the U.S. will have adequate numbers of pharmacists to meet future demand.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/supplydemand/usworkforce/projections/pharmacists.pdf

That's extremely concerning, especially since they project things based on script count which doesn't always equate with new jobs. Unless within this time frame clinical pharmacy and billing for pharmacist services becomes mainstream and that opens up a new job market then I fear that after 2025 salaries may begin dropping and grads having a harder time getting jobs with their increased student loan debt (which will probably be much higher in 10 years anyway). I settled on pharmacy and worked on my undergrad back in 2007 when things were still good, started pharmacy school in 2012 and now I'm becoming increasingly concerned especially since I graduate in May.
 
Last edited:
In Wisconsin, pharmacists are already providers and dependent prescribers. Although the prescribing authority hasn't been reviewed by the state board. They are finally just getting around to review the technician licensing requirements which were first proposed several years ago. They still haven't clarify how we are going to submit the pick up information for C-2s and 3s, and that is required by next spring. Initially, they said they wanted to open a college in Green Bay. Right now, the market for pharmacists is fine. If you want to head up to the north woods, it is very good. If you want to stay in Milwaukee or Madison, the market is more even. There are about 250 PharmD graduates per year.
MCW is not a diploma mill. It is a respected health care school in the state.
Long-term the market will right itself, but the question is how long will this take?
 
No, the market is not fine. I live and practice in the Milwaukee area and we do not need another pharmacy school. I also know pharmacists all over the state and there is no shortage. The market is the same here as it is all over the country - applicants >>>>positions (including the northwoods). Wisconsin is well stocked with pharmacists not only from the schools in the state, but also with transplants from states with too many schools, such as Illinois. There are not even enough qualified pharmacists to teach the students rotating through practice sites now and they want to open another school!? Who are they going to hire as faculty? Using provider status as a reason to open a new school is just a front to hide their true motivations -> $$$$. MCW is a respected prestigious institution. If they have no issue milking the pharmacy cow, I’m sure others will soon follow suit. Opening a new school is criminal no matter how one rationalizes it. These crooks need to be dragged in front of a judge.
 
Last edited: