Wisconsin Supplemental App

Started by variegata
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

variegata

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm a procrastinator/really busy except now that it's a holiday and I'm still working on Wisconsin's supplemental app.

Of course, I have a question on Thanksgiving, when I can't call them, so maybe someone here knows.

In the Personal Section, they're asking their tax questions only regarding Wisconsin state income tax returns, right? So when they ask if I'm a dependent or if I filed my own, I don't need to answer since I'm out-of-state and have never filed a return in Wisconsin?

And if I listed when I last voted, I don't need to list when I last registered to vote (since I don't remember anyway)?

Blehhh. Happy Thanksgiving though!
 
Well, you aren't alone! I'm still working on it too.
I was under the impression that those questions were to determine if you were a Wisconsin resident. So if you're out of state, and aren't trying to be in-state, I guess those don't matter that much? I haven't looked at that page that closely yet, but I think for the "tax return" question it was addressed to Wisc. residents only? I'll have to look at it again.
 
Okay, so for the question
"Have you filed a State of Wisconsin (not federal) Income Tax Return" I selected "No" and then left the rest blank...I assumed it only applied to Wisc. tax returns.

For the voting, I'm registered in New York, so just put that. I haven't voted in like five years (I know, I know, I should, but I'm too lazy to worry about it while I'm out of state). I just put the the registration dates.


ETA:
For the contribution to diversity question, do you think medical history/challenges could apply? I guess it makes me "different" but I'm not relaly sure if they're looking for something in particular or not.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guess I'll just leave the tax and voting sections as is, then.

The diversity question sounds very open ended. I haven't written mine yet. It may end up being very similar to the one I did for CSU. I think as long as you express yourself well, what exactly you write about isn't such a big deal.
 
I just paid my $ and hit submit. Woohoo! last application is in and done.

Does anyone else think the $56 app fee is kind of a random number? NOT complaining as it is cheaper then many other schools but how do they come up with $56... not 55 or 60 but right in the middle.
 
I just paid my $ and hit submit. Woohoo! last application is in and done.

Does anyone else think the $56 app fee is kind of a random number? NOT complaining as it is cheaper then many other schools but how do they come up with $56... not 55 or 60 but right in the middle.

Maybe that's exactly what it costs to pay someone to look at the supplemental and they decided not to round up? 🙄
 
I assume there is some shady back room where they just roll a pair of dice each year.
 
That's a good point, logic would make far too much sense. Maybe it's one of those future predicting cow deals, where they set a cow loose in a pen with a grid and the first square with a plop is the lucky number?
 
That's a good point, logic would make far too much sense. Maybe it's one of those future predicting cow deals, where they set a cow loose in a pen with a grid and the first square with a plop is the lucky number?

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows its a monkey shooting darts at a dartboard with all our names on it.
 
No no no, we're talking about how they decide fees. The admissions decisions are a whole different kerfuffle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just submitted mine. I hated that stinkin' diversity question though, it about killed me.

Guess we get to wait until March now. :whistle:
 
Blah, it has been done.
I'm hoping that the diversity stuff will help me out, but I'm a little worried about the whole "what has adversely affected your qualifications" thing. It feels a bit like a trap, but that's probably because I'm paranoid. :scared:
 
I just submitted mine. I hated that stinkin' diversity question though, it about killed me.

Guess we get to wait until March now. :whistle:

I totally agree with you.. My brain is fRIED from finals and since I procrastinated this one stupid question ... my answer is c.r.a.p. IMO....
The diversity questions alllwayss kill me...🙁

Do any of you guys "recycle" your answers from supp app to supp app? For example, I used a ginormos chunk of FL's supp and I put it in my WISC supp application...😛
 
i recycled everything lol i dont have time and im lacking motivation to write something new. i used my diversity Q from missouri/(i think colorado too). Then for my extra experience section/work/animal i used something i had previously written up for my research and my "journal" of new animal experiences lol
 
Yeah, I think my answer to the diversity question was quite possibly the worst answer to an essay question I have ever written, it was very short and probably seemed as though I had something other going on other than dedicating myself to the essay...oh yeah....FINALS:meanie: Why do you have this thing due when finals are coming up? I know we had time to do it before, but that time was used for studying for FINALS.

Sigh
 
Yeah, I think my answer to the diversity question was quite possibly the worst answer to an essay question I have ever written, it was very short and probably seemed as though I had something other going on other than dedicating myself to the essay...oh yeah....FINALS:meanie: Why do you have this thing due when finals are coming up? I know we had time to do it before, but that time was used for studying for FINALS.

Sigh

Glad im not alone!!😍
 
I'll join you guys in the "my answer to the diversity question was pretty lame" category. Haaaate questions like that (mostly because I don't think I really have anything diverse to write about). Definitely recycled a lot of material from my Missouri and NCSU applications - why start from scratch for the same question?
 
Was I the only one that used nearly every available letter for the diversity question? The question was a blank check really, you could talk about anything that makes you special compared to the rest of the applicants.
 
Was I the only one that used nearly every available letter for the diversity question? The question was a blank check really, you could talk about anything that makes you special compared to the rest of the applicants.

Nah, I used it too. I talked about my geographic diversity from the normal applicant and also about how my life has been a bit different than your average applicant.