Wisdom from Reddit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I typically spend very little time reading the Premed board on Reddit, but I came across this advice to people who will interview this upcoming cycle. That is, if in person interviews begin again.
The original post was wondering if Med schools would secretly plant regular Med students with people interviewing for the day. Kind of a paranoid / conspiracy theorist view of life. But of all the rude and emotional comments I found this to be useful:

Just a tip, never complain. Not about your boss, your training, your situation, your interview. Not in your essays, and definitely not on your interview day. But even then, I have dozens of other stories. Don't get caught taking a nap in the waiting room prior to your interview. Don't state how you can't wait to get home once today is all over. Don't stand off by yourself during social or group events. Don't bust out your phone when you could be socializing with other interviewees or current students. Mostly, just stay alert and demonstrate common sense.

Members don't see this ad.

That is, if in person interviews begin again.
The original post was wondering if Med schools would secretly plant regular Med students with people interviewing for the day.

I don’t know what med student would wanna waste they damn study or free time playing spy for a whole interview day.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t know what med student would wanna waste they damn study or free time playing spy for a whole interview day.

Me as a med student. I've been training my whole life for this moment. I've watched every season of Burn Notice at least three times.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said, the premise was ridiculous. But when schools are trying to weed out toxic personalities, the advice is decent.

Like I said, the premise was ridiculous. But when schools are trying to weed out toxic personalities, the advice is decent.
Or what if every other student at your interview is a spy and the school just wants to see how you interact with different people? Didn't think about that one did you buddy?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

I wouldn't say its ridiculous in theory... okay it's still pretty ridiculous. I think toxic people are a big issue in medicine, and I have more than enough data that up.

The issue is it's like coming up with a really good method of cleaning up crap out of a carpet, when you could just... I don't know.... stop crapping on the carpet?

Edit: Can we just acknowledge the title of this thread is Wisdom from Reddit is an oxymoron. I have the most insightful posts there, and I'm a dipstick.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
We have not perfected android technology yet, so we just deal with illegal surveillance objects that record your every move and listen to all your conversations. Kinda like a baby monitor. (Sigh.)

Reactions: 2 users
This thread should have been started April 1st, would make more sense.

I wouldn't say its ridiculous in theory... okay it's still pretty ridiculous. I think toxic people are a big issue in medicine, and I have more than enough data that up.

The issue is it's like coming up with a really good method of cleaning up crap out of a carpet, when you could just... I don't know.... stop crapping on the carpet?

Edit: Can we just acknowledge the title of this thread is Wisdom from Reddit is an oxymoron. I have the most insightful posts there, and I'm a dipstick.
My exact thoughts about the thread title! But thanks to the OP for just posting a pearl they picked up there and not linking the whole discussion!