Wishes for programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread that would discuss the graduate programs which we attend. Specifically, I would like to offer a thread in which we can point out things that have made life difficult along the way, possibly the opportunity for some advice from others or a "what I learned the hard way". Also, we could discuss what about our programs might be special or particularly rewarding. This should probably be done in relative anonymity (i.e., don't use your school's name), but it doesn't have to be mean spirited. I think we can constructively critique our respective institutions, and cathect along the way to the benefit of others. Anyone care to start?

I would, except I don't start my clinical program until Sept. If this is just another failure of a thread, then oh well, but we could learn about issues with advising, cattyness, supervision, dealing with the freaks from other disciplines like I/O, cog. and soc. etc. :scared: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Alright I'll give er a go :cool:

I Wish:

1)... that graduate programs would indicate on university webpages or someplace during the application process the average time it has taken recent graduates to complete their degree. I find that many programs will 'on paper' claim 5 or so years to complete, while in actuality it may be 6 or 7 (or more), and that no one has completed their degree in the stated number of years in over a decade.

2)... that graduate programs would have some consistency with the focus, material and depth of coverage, order of coverage, and expectations. You'd think APA would step in there and take care of this... but all they provide is their "rough guidelines" that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. What the hell is the point of accreditation?

3)... that clinical supervisors could agree on expecations for students. If you are doing a clinical report for three different supervisors, they will tell you three different ways of writing it and will give you three different sets of recommendations that they expect in them. This can be good, in that you get multiple perspectives, but it can often be quite confusing. Some supervisors are open to hearing your own feedback, questions, and ideas, wheras others will take an autocratic role and will be offended by you asking questions (no matter how tactful). As a result, you may have to 'feel-out' your supervisor or 'ask-around' to see what their take is on clinical supervision (or else risk getting burnt).

I could go on... and I may when some other thoughts hit me...

I have a love-hate relationship with my program right now. I think a program can really be only as good as the facutly that you correspond with on a daily basis. There are a couple faculty members within my program who I don't meld with. These are the ones who like to spoon-feed material to their students and don't expect individual thought or ideas. Then there are a few faculty members that encourage critical thinking, fresh ideas, and opinions. These are the ones that really challenge me on a daily basis and make me think that this is all going to be worthwhile in the end... that maybe I can get out of this program all the things I had hoped to.

word. :cool: