With an Extreme Upward Trend, Can I Make It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg0220

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Really in need of some honest and critical advice on my situation.

At the moment, completing 70 credits I have a 3.0 cGPA and 1.8 sGPA (20 credits worth). Obviously, I am in a bit of disarray. I am starting to turn things around this semester, however, and with my major (microbiology or neuroscience) just about all of my classes the rest of my college career are sGPA courses. I will have two more years after the conclusion of this Spring Semester.

Going through my graduation planner I calculated that realistically I believe I can pull off a 3.8 the rest of the way if I really continue to dedicate myself and finally show my endless passion to become a doctor. In the end I would have a 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA, and let's say I get a 32-34 MCAT score.

Work: I work as a primary care assistant at a disabled home where I administer meds, do PT/OT exercises with patients, and help them with their daily cares. This would amount to around 3000 patient experience hours.

Volunteering: I'd expect to have around 400 clinical and 200 non-clinical, all long term volunteering (not much on and off).

Leadership: Welcome Week Leader, Manager at a unique job over the summer (managing produce and lemonade/fruit stands at fesitvals)

Research: None yet, but plan on participating in a UROP and getting involved in some micro or neuro labs.

With all of that being said, any tips? Critical advice? Assuring advice? All is welcome! I would really appreciate input!

Thanks so much guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Really in need of some honest and critical advice on my situation.

At the moment, completing 70 credits I have a 3.0 cGPA and 1.8 sGPA (20 credits worth). Obviously, I am in a bit of disarray. I am starting to turn things around this semester, however, and with my major (microbiology or neuroscience) just about all of my classes the rest of my college career are sGPA courses. I will have two more years after the conclusion of this Spring Semester.

Going through my graduation planner I calculated that realistically I believe I can pull off a 3.8 the rest of the way if I really continue to dedicate myself and finally show my endless passion to become a doctor. In the end I would have a 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA, and let's say I get a 32-34 MCAT score.

Work: I work as a primary care assistant at a disabled home where I administer meds, do PT/OT exercises with patients, and help them with their daily cares. This would amount to around 3000 patient experience hours.

Volunteering: I'd expect to have around 400 clinical and 200 non-clinical, all long term volunteering (not much on and off).

Leadership: Welcome Week Leader, Manager at a unique job over the summer (managing produce and lemonade/fruit stands at fesitvals)

Research: None yet, but plan on participating in a UROP and getting involved in some micro or neuro labs.

With all of that being said, any tips? Critical advice? Assuring advice? All is welcome! I would really appreciate input!

Thanks so much guys

Do you have any reason to think you're going to score 32-34 other than that's what you want? Have you done any practice exams or familiarized yourself with any of the material on the test?

A bit of a rough estimation at this point, but yes. The general courses I have been getting mostly C's in I reviewed over the summer, I know it sounds somewhat stupid but I really feel I have a much firmer grasp on those classes at this point and that my grades in them will not hinder me on the MCAT when I begin to study for the MCAT. I strongly believe I can prepare well and succeed with around a 32-34 score. What will it actually be? Maybe higher, maybe lower, time will tell. MCAT score is really irrelevant at this point, maybe I shouldn't of included somewhat of a rough guess haha

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit of a rough estimation at this point, but yes. The general courses I have been getting mostly C's in I reviewed over the summer, I know it sounds somewhat stupid but I really feel I have a much firmer grasp on those classes at this point and that my grades in them will not hinder me on the MCAT when I begin to study for the MCAT. I strongly believe I can prepare well and succeed with around a 32-34 score. What will it actually be? Maybe higher, maybe lower, time will tell. MCAT score is really irrelevant at this point, maybe I shouldn't of included somewhat of a rough guess haha

When it's time for you to take the test, I recommend you get the Exam Krackers materials. I used them on my 2nd attempt (completely half assed) where I didn't even read all the lectures, just got the basics down over about a 2 week period and improved my score from a 19 to 26. I know that's still not a competitive score, but that was what I did as an immature kid in 2 weeks of studying. I suck at these tests and if I can improve by that much, I am sure anyone can...That's more a testament to their materials than my test taking abilities.

i second using the examkrackers material! they cover the material so that you understand the concepts and the books themselves aren't painful to read. I'd also say SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION LITERALLY THE FIRST DAY THE APP OPENS. you can submit your app without your LORs or MCAT score. I have friends with 35+ scores on their MCATs and solid gpas who applied late and as of now are still hanging out on waitlists for instate schools. There is no such thing as a safety med school btw, the entire process is mentally draining. Score well, bring up the gpa, and GET EVERYTHING IN EARLY

also, SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY APPS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. GET EVERYTHING IN EARLY

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT get yourself into any situation during the remainder of your academics that will result in you being the recipient of any institutional action. Academic dishonesty will get you Pete Rosed.

Ace everything from here on in and you should be fine. Retake any F/D/C grades in the sci courses.

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much guys

I dont mean to sound like a jerk, but you NEED to get the sGPA up as much as you can. With a 1.8, you will get no looks at all. Sub 3.0 sGPA you will get no looks. Get that up, kill the MCAT. I found that EK was good for biological sciences, but not for physical. Berkely was great for physical. ECs are looking pretty good so far, do the research though, especially with a neuroscience major. Patient experience looks really great! That is really important. Try to shoot for 1000 total hours volunteering, if you can. But seriously, gotta get the sGPA up. Apologies for the bluntness, good luck with everything!

Appreciate the bluntness man, in fact I love it. I am someone who needs the criticism. Thanks to all for the helpful responses, I will be sure to look into EK when the time comes and get this sGPA. I hope to be posting a follow up thread in the future as I apply to medical schools!

Knowing the material is one thing, but taking the actual test is another. The MCAT is a different kind of a test and people that know the material like the back of their hand can still be caught off guard and do terrible. I recommend you not make any assumptions about your score until you actually take a practice test.

I think even with a good MCAT, a 3.2-3.4 GPA will not get you much love from MD schools.