With my GPA/MCAT am I a decent MD/PhD applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntelligentFault

Reaction score
So I'm a re-applicant, it's been about 5 years since my last application, during which time I got way more clinical/research experience. I've always been torn between medicine and research and in the time that I've been working in psychiatry research I've seemed to find such a perfect balance but I might have screwed myself over in undergrad and now have a 3.5 sGPA. Do I have a hope in hell at an MD/PhD or should I stick to MD and try to just do research during my degree?

• State/Country of Residence: New York
  • Ties to other States/Regions: Grew up in/did undergrad in/have family in Texas
  • Year in School: Out of school (full time job post masters)
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Psychology major/biology minor
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): Masters in clinical psychology
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.69 (undergraduate = 3.63, graduate = 3.91)
  • Science GPA: 3.50 (undergraduate = 3.42, graduate = 4.0)
  • MCAT Score(s): 518
  • LORS: 7 total (not sending all of them to every school). 3 PIs (one is an MD) and 4 professors (3 science and 1 non science; 2 undergrad and 2 grad)
  • Research Experience: ~7500. I've done some undergrad research into memory (2 semesters), interned in a psychiatry lab where I did a thesis and was published/did a poster (one year), interned in a basic neuroscience lab where I did a poster/was published (2 years), and now work full time as a clinical research coordinator in a psychiatry lab at a major hospital (2 years)
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): 2 posters (one at a major neuroscience conferences and one at my grad university where it won an award), 2 accepted publications (one review as first author and another as third author), 2 additional publications under review (middle author in a long list)
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ~40 in a blood/tissue center, ~1800 as a unit clerk at a rural hospital, and now ~5000 as a clinical research coordinator helping diagnose psych patients or assist in ketamine/ECT (Volunteering as a crisis advocate to start in the fall. :'( Delayed cause of covid )
  • Physician Shadowing: ~86 hours between two hospitals with anesthesiology, internal medicine, and general medicine
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~115 with jumpstart (teach for america program).
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: VP of a graduate psych society, missions chair for a sorority, and community service award
  • Other Employment History: Teaching assistant for 1 year, resident assistant in undergrad for 2 years, and worked at a college bar for 1 year
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Y

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to have all experiences that are needed. Certainly, you are competitive across the country, but in particular, you are match for all of the Texas MSTP.

Thank you! Do you think that it will hurt me with Texas MSTP that I've been living out of the state for a while?

Members don't see this ad :)
@IntelligentFault It looks like you have strong research experience and while its hard to account for that in the table, check out the info on MSTP Information particularly the ranges of GPA if that is what you are most concerned about. We are gathering more data from programs directly but unfortunately won't have that available until the next big site update in a few months. It seems like from your post you stand a good shot, esp with the great mcat and research

Last edited: