DO With repeated grades factored into GPA, do I have a chance/what can I do to improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cogdisso

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
With AACOM factoring repeated courses into my GPA, it is incredibly low- think mid 2's, though I don't have the heart to calculate it yet. I repeated/need to repeat a few of my prereq science courses, and though my final grades were A's, I don't know how to salvage my chances. My repeats were due to suffering from mental illness and adverse life situations throughout the duration of school.

Despite these setbacks, I received an award as one of the top graduates of my university for campus involvement- co-founder of a (medically relevant) student organization, 3yrs of research experience, wrote a thesis and graduated with distinction and was the primary presenter of two posters at numerous research symposia, winning a monetary prize for one. In addition to consistently working as a tutor/student workshop leader part-time, I have 3 healthcare certifications and interned in the triage of a free clinic for two years. I'm on the verge of starting an AmeriCorps position while completing my remainder retakes in orgo 1 and biochemistry- debating whether or not to take orgo 2 (for the first time) before taking the MCAT. I completed a double major in neuropsychology and biology, and my psychology GPA is nearly perfect while the one for bio is in shambles. And to all the condescending...members I see posting all the time, I don't need to be told how these extracurriculars don't hold their weight when compared to a poor GPA. Believe me, I know. These serve to prove my commitment to the field, despite the setbacks I've faced- basically, now I need a GPA fix (and a stellar MCAT score)...I'll be taking it next year, I approximate.

Apart from these retakes, is there anything I can do to salvage my situation? I was thinking of doing a SMP but I'm very apprehensive about the cost...does anyone have any suggestions for alternative routes, or even good SMPs to consider? Will a good MCAT score alone salvage this situation, and if so, what is the range that I should aim for?

Members don't see this ad.

Cowboy up and calculate that gpa so we can answer accurately

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
With AACOM factoring repeated courses into my GPA, it is incredibly low- think mid 2's, though I don't have the heart to calculate it yet. I repeated/need to repeat a few of my prereq science courses, and though my final grades were A's, I don't know how to salvage my chances. My repeats were due to suffering from mental illness and adverse life situations throughout the duration of school.

Despite these setbacks, I received an award as one of the top graduates of my university for campus involvement- co-founder of a (medically relevant) student organization, 3yrs of research experience, wrote a thesis and graduated with distinction and was the primary presenter of two posters at numerous research symposia, winning a monetary prize for one. In addition to consistently working as a tutor/student workshop leader part-time, I have 3 healthcare certifications and interned in the triage of a free clinic for two years. I'm on the verge of starting an AmeriCorps position while completing my remainder retakes in orgo 1 and biochemistry- debating whether or not to take orgo 2 (for the first time) before taking the MCAT. I completed a double major in neuropsychology and biology, and my psychology GPA is nearly perfect while the one for bio is in shambles. And to all the condescending...members I see posting all the time, I don't need to be told how these extracurriculars don't hold their weight when compared to a poor GPA. Believe me, I know. These serve to prove my commitment to the field, despite the setbacks I've faced- basically, now I need a GPA fix (and a stellar MCAT score)...I'll be taking it next year, I approximate.

Apart from these retakes, is there anything I can do to salvage my situation? I was thinking of doing a SMP but I'm very apprehensive about the cost...does anyone have any suggestions for alternative routes, or even good SMPs to consider? Will a good MCAT score alone salvage this situation, and if so, what is the range that I should aim for?

Read this: