DO With repeated grades factored into GPA, do I have a chance/what can I do to improve my chances?

Aug 6, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  2. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,
With AACOM factoring repeated courses into my GPA, it is incredibly low- think mid 2's, though I don't have the heart to calculate it yet. I repeated/need to repeat a few of my prereq science courses, and though my final grades were A's, I don't know how to salvage my chances. My repeats were due to suffering from mental illness and adverse life situations throughout the duration of school.

Despite these setbacks, I received an award as one of the top graduates of my university for campus involvement- co-founder of a (medically relevant) student organization, 3yrs of research experience, wrote a thesis and graduated with distinction and was the primary presenter of two posters at numerous research symposia, winning a monetary prize for one. In addition to consistently working as a tutor/student workshop leader part-time, I have 3 healthcare certifications and interned in the triage of a free clinic for two years. I'm on the verge of starting an AmeriCorps position while completing my remainder retakes in orgo 1 and biochemistry- debating whether or not to take orgo 2 (for the first time) before taking the MCAT. I completed a double major in neuropsychology and biology, and my psychology GPA is nearly perfect while the one for bio is in shambles. And to all the condescending...members I see posting all the time, I don't need to be told how these extracurriculars don't hold their weight when compared to a poor GPA. Believe me, I know. These serve to prove my commitment to the field, despite the setbacks I've faced- basically, now I need a GPA fix (and a stellar MCAT score)...I'll be taking it next year, I approximate.

Apart from these retakes, is there anything I can do to salvage my situation? I was thinking of doing a SMP but I'm very apprehensive about the cost...does anyone have any suggestions for alternative routes, or even good SMPs to consider? Will a good MCAT score alone salvage this situation, and if so, what is the range that I should aim for?

Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
Hi everyone,
With AACOM factoring repeated courses into my GPA, it is incredibly low- think mid 2's, though I don't have the heart to calculate it yet. I repeated/need to repeat a few of my prereq science courses, and though my final grades were A's, I don't know how to salvage my chances. My repeats were due to suffering from mental illness and adverse life situations throughout the duration of school.

Despite these setbacks, I received an award as one of the top graduates of my university for campus involvement- co-founder of a (medically relevant) student organization, 3yrs of research experience, wrote a thesis and graduated with distinction and was the primary presenter of two posters at numerous research symposia, winning a monetary prize for one. In addition to consistently working as a tutor/student workshop leader part-time, I have 3 healthcare certifications and interned in the triage of a free clinic for two years. I'm on the verge of starting an AmeriCorps position while completing my remainder retakes in orgo 1 and biochemistry- debating whether or not to take orgo 2 (for the first time) before taking the MCAT. I completed a double major in neuropsychology and biology, and my psychology GPA is nearly perfect while the one for bio is in shambles. And to all the condescending...members I see posting all the time, I don't need to be told how these extracurriculars don't hold their weight when compared to a poor GPA. Believe me, I know. These serve to prove my commitment to the field, despite the setbacks I've faced- basically, now I need a GPA fix (and a stellar MCAT score)...I'll be taking it next year, I approximate.

Apart from these retakes, is there anything I can do to salvage my situation? I was thinking of doing a SMP but I'm very apprehensive about the cost...does anyone have any suggestions for alternative routes, or even good SMPs to consider? Will a good MCAT score alone salvage this situation, and if so, what is the range that I should aim for?

Read this:

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads