With VSAS closure extended to May 11, should I consider emailing programs directly to schedule aways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title

I'm on the fence whether attempting to contact programs directly would look good or bad given the current state of affairs. I currently have nothing scheduled for next year and was hoping that I could get a few aways set up at the few programs I have at the top of my list. Just wondering if any neurologists/residents could give me specialty specific feedback. I know it'll vary by whoever is reading said email but its getting a little nerve-wracking here for an M3 who didn't even get to rotate in neuro this year planning to apply :/. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Like you said, this is going to vary based on programs. Mine for example is not considering accepting VSAS rotators any time in the near future. Our own med students are in dire need to restart their core rotations and neurology is a core rotation. We will be expecting to have ~10 students on at any given time during this upcoming fall. This will make it very very hard to accept external students.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Like you said, this is going to vary based on programs. Mine for example is not considering accepting VSAS rotators any time in the near future. Our own med students are in dire need to restart their core rotations and neurology is a core rotation. We will be expecting to have ~10 students on at any given time during this upcoming fall. This will make it very very hard to accept external students.
Being a DO with no home program its gonna be an uphill battle. I've been working on a few case reports and such but other than studying for Step 2 idk what else to do with myself haha thanks for givin me some perspective though

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a DO with no home program its gonna be an uphill battle. I've been working on a few case reports and such but other than studying for Step 2 idk what else to do with myself haha thanks for givin me some perspective though
Don’t sweat it. Seriously. I did not do a single away rotation. I’m a DO too. The only thing that you need to figure out is how to secure LORs.

If things return to baseline, then yeah do an away or two. But if things don’t, you’ll still be more than OK given that you have average application profile and no red flags.

Remember, COVID is a global problem. Everyone, not only you, is affected by it. This means that all other DO applicants will be just as “hurt” by not doing aways. Make the best out of your situation and you’ll be fine.

Don’t sweat it. Seriously. I did not do a single away rotation. I’m a DO too. The only thing that you need to figure out is how to secure LORs.

If things return to baseline, then yeah do an away or two. But if things don’t, you’ll still be more than OK given that you have average application profile and no red flags.

Remember, COVID is a global problem. Everyone, not only you, is affected by it. This means that all other DO applicants will be just as “hurt” by not doing aways. Make the best out of your situation and you’ll be fine.
I have a meeting with a possible mentor at the local hospital system next week so hopefully a few meetings and (hopefully) a rotation in July will be enough to get a good one

Reactions: 1 user
Coming from a DO that did 3 away rotations, they are not necessary whatsoever. Waste of money if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Coming from a DO that did 3 away rotations, they are not necessary whatsoever. Waste of money if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
That's reassuring I appreciate it. I'm super average across the board on paper but come off better in person. So comments on MSPE will be fine but I was overthinking it. Thanks!