Withdraw application? Low MCAT, weak EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maroaj9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.73cGPA 3.65sGPA from top 25 undergrad
27Q MCAT (9PS, 8VR, 10BS)
NY Resident

-Varsity athlete huge commitment per week
-3 hours shadowing just 1 doctor
-30 hours clinical volunteering
-40 hours in research lab simply as an assistant, no publication or presentations whatsoever
-15 hours other non-medical volunteering

Submitted to AMCAS but not verified yet... so pretty late app

Really need people's thoughts on my options:
1) Withdraw application, commit to gap year, study all semester for MCAT and continue to help extracurriculars
2) Allow application to go through to just a few schools, still study all semester for MCAT and continue to help extracurriculars

Applying to Rosalind Franklin, Eastern Virginia, SUNY (Upstate, Downstate, Buffalo, Rochester), Albany

Members don't see this ad.

Throw in more safety schools and you'll get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be open to DO schools if I need to re-apply next cycle. Do y'all think my extracurriculars are sufficient enough to cover my low MCAT?

I think you should take a year off, get some solid volunteering experience working with patients (30 hours wont really cut it), and retake MCAT in spring. I was in a similar situation to you last year. I had a 30 MCAT, a summer of research, and 40 hrs shadowing. I spent the year volunteering 5 hrs a week at a hospice and 6 hours a week at a cancer hospital. I got to take care of patients directly and learn how to talk to them. Also improved my MCAT from 30-35. You sound like a smart kid--pretty impressive gpa from a tough school. I think you are better off getting additional experience and improving the MCAT a little rather than getting an acceptance at a DO school.

I think you should take a year off, get some solid volunteering experience working with patients (30 hours wont really cut it), and retake MCAT in spring. I was in a similar situation to you last year. I had a 30 MCAT, a summer of research, and 40 hrs shadowing. I spent the year volunteering 5 hrs a week at a hospice and 6 hours a week at a cancer hospital. I got to take care of patients directly and learn how to talk to them. Also improved my MCAT from 30-35. You sound like a smart kid--pretty impressive gpa from a tough school. I think you are better off getting additional experience and improving the MCAT a little rather than getting an acceptance at a DO school.

This is solid advice. Your 3 hours of shadowing is pretty bad.