Withdraw your application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla2134

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should i write them a formal letter or just an email?
The reason i ask because i am afraid that what if in the future i apply to their residency and they know that i withdrew from their school, my chance will decrease.
So should i write a formal letter indicate the reasons that i withrew or does it even matter?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would write a formal letter. When I called a school that Im not accepting their offer, they told me to write a brief formal letter and to send it asap to them.

I would just call. That's what I am doing. They will appreciate the immediate notification. And so will those who are waiting.

(edit) Haha nevermind... Do what sfrice says

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm writing a stock formal letter and filling it in for all the schools.. As well as a phone call. I believe the residency admissions is separate from the d-school admission. So I dint think that will matter. Plus it's 4 years later, reasons/circumstances can be very different and they will take that into account

blegh... how do you write something like that? "i've been accepted elsewhere and wish to withdraw my application from your school..."? i don't think that sounds entirely right

blegh... how do you write something like that? "i've been accepted elsewhere and wish to withdraw my application from your school..."? i don't think that sounds entirely right
I won't give a reason. Just simply say "I wish to withdraw my application. Thank you for your consideration."

I just wrote a form email similar to futuredent020

So far I have gotten back responses thanking me for being so prompt and for actually telling them. Schools are happy when they have a shorter stack of apps to deal with IMO.

I just wrote a form email similar to futuredent020

So far I have gotten back responses thanking me for being so prompt and for actually telling them. Schools are happy when they have a shorter stack of apps to deal with IMO.
So they don't mind e-mails? That would be much easier.

So they don't mind e-mails? That would be much easier.

They dont mind them at all.

Louisville, Detroit-Mercy, VCU, Maryland, UPenn are all cool with it so far.

They dont mind them at all.

Louisville, Detroit-Mercy, VCU, Maryland, UPenn are all cool with it so far.

Good to know.

I would write a formal letter. When I called a school that Im not accepting their offer, they told me to write a brief formal letter and to send it asap to them.

I think what they meant is for you to SIGN their official paper document that'll arrive as part of your acceptance letter. On there it'll have a box for you to check if you're declining your offer as well as a little space for you to state your reasons. At least that's what Western has for theirs. Don't know about the other schools.

I had 2 interviews schedules post DEc 1st, since I could not fit them in my schedule in Oct-NOv. I called Minnesota and Detroit mercy to cancel the upcoming interviews since I got accpted to my top choice school. Both Minn and UDM said to email them to withdraw my app, but they did cancel the interviews over the phone. So for those who are waiting to hear from those 2 schools-hopefully you will get a call soon inviting you for an interview.

^^ thank you, that was a nice thing to do.