Withdrawal dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celeritus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - need a little advice.

I recently got accepted to one of my top choices ("program A") and have an upcoming interview at another program ("program B"). While I don't really have a strict ranking or hierarchy of preferred schools, I doubt I would go to program B over program A (they're really in different tiers - in terms of med, grad, and MSTP strength); however, program B would require no money to attend the interview (I live nearby), has a location slightly more preferable to A, and I remain slightly curious about the program (again, despite the fact that I doubt I would be swayed enough to attend B over A).

I feel the most appropriate thing to do would be withdraw, so as not to waste their and my time and energy (especially since I'd be heading straight from this interview to schools I'm more invested in), not to mention freeing up a slot to someone with a greater interest in B. But my curiosity about program B makes me hesitant. Anyone been in a similar situation? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
drop the interview now. this will allow the program a week to get someone else to fill your spot. this is the fair thing to do for other applicants that might attend that program. good karma.

Hey all - need a little advice.

I recently got accepted to one of my top choices ("program A") and have an upcoming interview at another program ("program B"). While I don't really have a strict ranking or hierarchy of preferred schools, I doubt I would go to program B over program A (they're really in different tiers - in terms of med, grad, and MSTP strength); however, program B would require no money to attend the interview (I live nearby), has a location slightly more preferable to A, and I remain slightly curious about the program (again, despite the fact that I doubt I would be swayed enough to attend B over A).

I feel the most appropriate thing to do would be withdraw, so as not to waste their and my time and energy (especially since I'd be heading straight from this interview to schools I'm more invested in), not to mention freeing up a slot to someone with a greater interest in B. But my curiosity about program B makes me hesitant. Anyone been in a similar situation? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Don't be a fool! go to the interview. Your comments suggest that you are not at all certain about school "A". You never know- maybe you'll find something about school "B" that is more important to you than rankings. It also costs you nothing but a couple of days, and at least you will learn something about that program, which you are certainly curious about. I predict in 5 years, when your research is bogged down and you are depressed at school "A", you start to wonder... "maybe I should have gone on that interview to school B, it may have been a better fit for me...". At least if you go on this interview, you can save yourself from this future fantasy.

So, why is this a question? You got the interview, it costs nothing for you to go, and you're halfway interested. Why not go? You owe it to yourself to definitively prove (as best you can at this stage) that school B is not for you. You may love it. You may hate it. But at least you'll know. Heck, you're not giving them the chance to "wow" you, and that is a wasted opportunity. While it's good to know you have a program in the bag, it's always better to have options. Always give yourself options.

You're freerolling. Even if you are only marginally interested, you should go. Filling holes in the application schedule in a week is nice and all, but neither you nor your family will be proud of applicant X for making the best possible decision.

So, why is this a question? You got the interview, it costs nothing for you to go, and you're halfway interested. Why not go? You owe it to yourself to definitively prove (as best you can at this stage) that school B is not for you. You may love it. You may hate it. But at least you'll know. Heck, you're not giving them the chance to "wow" you, and that is a wasted opportunity. While it's good to know you have a program in the bag, it's always better to have options. Always give yourself options.
Agree. I wound up changing my plans and attending one of the last schools I interviewed at. You will never know if you don't go, OP. :)

I was in a similar but not quite the same position as of yesterday. I canceled my interview that is supposed to be next friday. Same deal: I consider this school a tier below other places that I've gotten into already in all categories (except maybe pediatrics, but this isn't a residency!). This is the university in the city where I grew up, and I did all my research there--so the difference for me is that I know what they have to offer in the research realm. At the same time, I felt like I owed it to them to at least interview, given that I HAVE done all my research there. But it really doesn't have any research in the area that I am interested, so I have no intention of attending their school. So I canceled.