Withdrawal from course help??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny807

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I took calc based physics this semester just to keep my options open because I wasn't definitely decided on a major. But half way through I picked my major and it only requires algebra based physics. I'm not doing awful but am not doing great in physics right now. Does anyone have any experience with a withdrawal/ how medical schools look at a withdrawal? It's either that or tough it out and hope to get a B/B- if I do well on the next couple of tests, I just don't want to risk getting a C.

Pros of withdrawing - I have extra room in my schedule to fit in algebra based physics next semester, I would preserve my gpa and hopefully do better in the algebra based since I have previous exposure, I feel like I would be better prepared for the MCAT if I take it again, not required for my major, can focus on other classes now

Cons- I would have a "W" on my transcript and would probably have to explain that, I would have to sit through physics again instead of just getting it over with

I also emailed a bunch of medical schools and the ones that replied said one W shouldn't affect my application, I just don't know how much I should trust it though. This debate has been eating away at me and I'm so torn at what I should do. My gpa right now is high, I haven't gotten anything lower than an A- in a science courses yet.

Any opinions?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: