Withdrawal Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

londregc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to graduate this month from my undergraduate. I am going to receive a C in the second half of anatomy but I have the option to withdraw from the course if I want to. I am scheduled to retake this course regardless over this summer before I apply in the fall so that I will have a better grade for my application. Do you think it would look better to withdrawal from the course or take the C?

Members don't see this ad.

I will let others chime in on this one... it depends, if the C is going to hurt your GPA heavily then defiantly withdraw immediately! It is really important to protect your overall GPA score since your pre-req score wont be hurt cause you are planning on retaking the class and getting a perfect 4.0 at a local CC (hint hint). However, if the C wont hurt your GPA I would finish the course so schools can see you completed the course without a failing grade. If you have a W, schools have no clue as to why or when you dropped the course and those terms could have been much worse than having a less than satisfactory passing grade. Some schools accept a C's some don't...

Hope that helps your decision

I will let others chime in on this one... it depends, if the C is going to hurt your GPA heavily then defiantly withdraw immediately! It is really important to protect your overall GPA score since your pre-req score wont be hurt cause you are planning on retaking the class and getting a perfect 4.0 at a local CC (hint hint). However, if the C wont hurt your GPA I would finish the course so schools can see you completed the course without a failing grade. If you have a W, schools have no clue as to why or when you dropped the course and those terms could have been much worse than having a less than satisfactory passing grade. Some schools accept a C's some don't...

Hope that helps your decision

Doesn't PTCAS average your two grades if you retake a course? Because my concern then is that the best I can do then in Anatomy II is a B after it is averaged (assuming I receive an A on the retake and it is averaged with a C)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you withdraw, just make sure you're ready to explain why you withdrew. They will ask you why at your interview. PTCAS does take the average of the grades, but some of the schools look at the higher grade. What are your stats? Why are you getting a C in the class, BTW?

Kevin

I'd withdraw. Make sure you have a good reason thought up like Kevin said. But I believe ptcas averages them, so if you take the c and get an a next time around, you essentially end with a b. Which, imo, is acceptable. On the flip side, if you take the c and turn around and get an a, you can talk about how you grew as a student and perseverance and all that lovely stuff.

I'd withdraw. Make sure you have a good reason thought up like Kevin said. But I believe ptcas averages them, so if you take the c and get an a next time around, you essentially end with a b. Which, imo, is acceptable. On the flip side, if you take the c and turn around and get an a, you can talk about how you grew as a student and perseverance and all that lovely stuff.

Agreed. Withdrawal isnt a big of a problem as most people think. In fact it can save your GPA. Just make sure you are able to explain it, as mentioned above. Anyway, it looks like you are going to retake it in summer. You can either finish it or withdraw. But you have make sure you get a A or B. Best of luck!

I would definitely withdraw from the class. Anatomy is one of the most important prereqs, and it won't look good that you got a C in it so recently, whether or not your schools take the most recent grade or average the two for retakes. You'll still have to explain why you withdrew from the course, but I think that will look much better than a C in Anatomy would look.