Withdrawals on Med/Dental School Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

entdreams47

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all - Was wondering what I should do in this situation.

I am in my first semester as a post-bacc premed student and did terribly on my first bio exam. I took bio I in college, this course fulfills the second bio requirement but it is not required or helpful for the MCAT/med school. Its evolution and ecology. There are a bunch of other bio courses I could take later on that would fulfill this requirement. I got a 67 on my first exam ( Embarassing - I did not even think it was difficult but all of the open ended ones were graded SO harshly.) It is worth 18%. This class is 5 credits because it is combined with lab which I have an A in. Since it is weighted so heavily, and I would be lucky to redeem this to a B/B+ Should I get out quick??? I have one W from my first semester of college (was failing) and one from my last semester (already had all my credits done to graduate and the course was worth way more work to just be a class I was taking out of personal interest - also had some health issues) Is it worth it to take a 3rd W???
 
Hey y'all - Was wondering what I should do in this situation.

I am in my first semester as a post-bacc premed student and did terribly on my first bio exam. I took bio I in college, this course fulfills the second bio requirement but it is not required or helpful for the MCAT/med school. Its evolution and ecology. There are a bunch of other bio courses I could take later on that would fulfill this requirement. I got a 67 on my first exam ( Embarassing - I did not even think it was difficult but all of the open ended ones were graded SO harshly.) It is worth 18%. This class is 5 credits because it is combined with lab which I have an A in. Since it is weighted so heavily, and I would be lucky to redeem this to a B/B+ Should I get out quick??? I have one W from my first semester of college (was failing) and one from my last semester (already had all my credits done to graduate and the course was worth way more work to just be a class I was taking out of personal interest - also had some health issues) Is it worth it to take a 3rd W???


If the deadline for withdrawing is coming up quickly, I would consider it. With your exam score, the highest possible grade you could get is a 93.9% (assuming everything else is a 100%). If you have some time to before the deadline, I would try and improve on the other exams and make the decision down the line. A couple B/B+ grades won't kill your application