withdrawing acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got accepted to my 1st choice school but have already sent my deposits to other schools where i had been accepted to earlier. what do i need to do to tell them that i am not coming to their school anymore? will an email suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would do it in a certified letter. More professional and you know it got there.

I don't think a certified letter is really necessary unless there is a reason that you need to show proof that you showed the school that you notified them of your withdrawal.

I think you can call them and say "Hey, I just want to let you know that i won't be able to accept your offer of admission. I'm sending a letter to let you guys know too but I just wanted to give you guys the heads up." ... and follow up with a nice letter notifying them that you are withdrawing yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'm sending plain snail-mail letters. Nothing too fancy, just a few words about what I liked about the school and a few words about why I'm not going. This is more than necessary, but I figure they were nice enough toconsider and accept me, I might as well give them a reason. I then send it regular mail.