withdrawing an eras application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentdoc8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you withdraw from an program on ERAS but did interview with them but didn't rank them, are they still able to see where you've matched to on match day?

Members don't see this ad.

So even if you withdraw your application on ERAS (essentially as though you didn't even apply to their program to begin with), if a program ranks you, they will STILL be able to see where you've matched?

Why on earth would you care if a program sees where you matched? None of the programs are under any impression that anyone interviewed at just one program...

We don't care so much about who did NOT match with us as much as we care about who did. I can't hire everyone who interviewed here so I'm just glad they end up matching somewhere. Trust me - that program isn't going to be offended and say nasty things about you because you matched at another program.

Thank you so much everyone for your reply and insights. I hope this silly/obscure inquiry will help others in the future should they just simply wonder....what better place to post this question here since eras doesn't seem to answer it in their pages of instructions.

Another quick question is if program directors care if the person matched into a different field?- does this offend the program or say nasty things as you had indicated in your post? After this question is answered, i'm closing this thread!

Not really. It happens.

The only time I get angry is when I truly feel I've been lied to. Someone applies to my IM program, and their application looks like they are applying to Rads (lots of rads research, experiences etc). They tell me in their PS and at their interview that they've totally changed their mind, and now they are applying to IM instead. Then they match in Rads. Sure, maybe they had a "change of heart" again, but really we all know they applied as a backup. Mostly, I'm angry that someone else didn't get a chance to interview with us because they filled a spot. But it's all water under the bridge.

Another quick question is if program directors care if the person matched into a different field?- does this offend the program or say nasty things as you had indicated in your post? After this question is answered, i'm closing this thread!

I was surprised the first time it happened, but not angry or offended--maybe blind-sided is the most accurate description. I'll admit that it was a little awkward because that person matched to his preferred specialty at my institution. But our paths never crossed, and I think of it as more of a humorous anecdote in retrospect.