Withdrawing Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aishoo84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the "appropriate" way of withdrawing applications/interviews... I recently got accepted to NSUCOM--which was my top choice.... I am still waiting for the official acceptance letter to arrive in snail mail.... I have 4 other Out of state interviews lined up so far-- DMU, A.T Still/KCOM, WVSOM, and KCUMB......those interview r scheduled for early november back to back... I dont want to withdraw from those schools until i get my official acceptance letter from NSU--just to be on the safe side..... Given the fact that i got accepted to NSU last week, it might take 2 more weeks until i get my letter.... Should I call the schools to withdraw my applications or would an email suffice? And what if I dont get my NSU acceptance letter till last minute and have to withdraw from the other schools a day before my scheduled interview? would that look really bad?
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I e-mailed to withdraw all of my applications, and every school replied back to confirm my withdrawal. I would try not to wait until the last minute to withdraw because they would not be able to fill that interview slot in that amount of time. Ethically, you should withdraw as soon as possible.

If you're going to withdraw, call or email - either is fine.
But there is no need to wait until you have a letter - what do you think - it was a prank phone call from Nova?!! :laugh:
Anyway you could start by calling Nova and asking how long it will be until this proof of acceptance letter ;) comes in the mail, then you'll have an idea of timing your withdrawls.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i know it wasnt a prank...i hope..lol... but still.... i just wanna have it on paper....and yeah I would feel really bad holding up interview slots... so i really would like to withdraw asap..so that other serious applicants can get a chance at interviewing....i hope nova sends out my letter fast!

i called AZCOM and CCOM and they both said that i should send an email stating that i wish to withdraw. so then i e-mailed the rest of the schools and received confirmations back from all but TUCOM-CA.

congrats on being accepted to your top choice!

lol, i know it wasnt a prank...i hope..lol... but still.... i just wanna have it on paper....and yeah I would feel really bad holding up interview slots... so i really would like to withdraw asap..so that other serious applicants can get a chance at interviewing....i hope nova sends out my letter fast!

LOL! I know - I would feel the same way, so I don't blame you for wanting that letter in hand at all.

Maybe if you ask them they can give you an idea of when it will go out in the mail, so you'll have an idea of how much time you'll have to cancel.

BTW - congratulations on getting in to your #1 choice!! And so early on!! Nice job! :thumbup:

LOL! I know - I would feel the same way, so I don't blame you for wanting that letter in hand at all.

Maybe if you ask them they can give you an idea of when it will go out in the mail, so you'll have an idea of how much time you'll have to cancel.

BTW - congratulations on getting in to your #1 choice!! And so early on!! Nice job! :thumbup:

hehe, thanks... i guess being paranoid is just part of being pre-med..hehe... but yeh, the ppl that have already gotten acceptance packages from NSU are saying that it took around 2 weeks for the letter to come.... so granted that I also receive my letter within the next week, I would have time to give the schools a one week notice.. which i guess isnt too bad...

I sent an email to all of them. I heard back from all the schools except AZCOM. Instead a week later I got a phone call saying that they were worried I did not show up for my interview. I looked back, sure enough I had sent them an email but nobody bothered to read it I guess.
I think an email is fine.
Good luck