Withdrawing from a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderTXgirl

TEXAS A&M c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice on a predicament I am in....

I am a post bac student, and I have been working full time at a clinic for the last two years after graduation. While working, I have been finishing up my pre reqs, taking two classes at a time. This semester I am taking Biochem 2 (required), and another advanced bio course (not required). I am also on the waitlist at my IS school this year (first app cycle).

The problem is that the extra bio course I am taking is really taking up a lot of time (and the prof is terrible), and I would really like to focus more time on biochem. At this point in the game, I would receive a "W" for withdrawing, but it may hurt my chances for an A in biochem if I stick it out. I am concerned that my decision either way would affect my chances next year if I have to apply again.

Should I stick it out in the two courses to avoid the "W", or is the A in the required course more important? Any advice is greatly appreciated!:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice on a predicament I am in....

I am a post bac student, and I have been working full time at a clinic for the last two years after graduation. While working, I have been finishing up my pre reqs, taking two classes at a time. This semester I am taking Biochem 2 (required), and another advanced bio course (not required). I am also on the waitlist at my IS school this year (first app cycle).

The problem is that the extra bio course I am taking is really taking up a lot of time (and the prof is terrible), and I would really like to focus more time on biochem. At this point in the game, I would receive a "W" for withdrawing, but it may hurt my chances for an A in biochem if I stick it out. I am concerned that my decision either way would affect my chances next year if I have to apply again.

Should I stick it out in the two courses to avoid the "W", or is the A in the required course more important? Any advice is greatly appreciated!:(

Howdy!
I had one 'W' on my transcript for a pre-req but I re-took it and got an A. I also had a C in a NON pre-req science course and it didn't seem to matter that much.
Take what you will from that but my advice would be to weigh your options carefully. If you can keep both just put more time and effort into the pre-req to secure an A, even if that means you will only get a B in the other course. Or if that's not a possibility just drop the other course - especially if it's your first W - but remember you may have to explain why there's a W on your transcript - I mentioned it in my app but very briefly.

Howdy!
I had one 'W' on my transcript for a pre-req but I re-took it and got an A. I also had a C in a NON pre-req science course and it didn't seem to matter that much.
Take what you will from that but my advice would be to weigh your options carefully. If you can keep both just put more time and effort into the pre-req to secure an A, even if that means you will only get a B in the other course. Or if that's not a possibility just drop the other course - especially if it's your first W - but remember you may have to explain why there's a W on your transcript - I mentioned it in my app but very briefly.

I'd also probably call the school and ask. My guess is you'll probably be fine since it's not a pre-req, but you don't want to find out the bad news after getting called off the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've not been accepted yet, though I did have an interview at UTK, so I'm not an expert... but I've got several Ws on my transcript. From what I understand, those don't calculate into the GPA, so they don't matter. And at UTK, the interview team doesn't know your GPA/GRE/course load, so they can't dock you for it.

My advisers always told me a W is better than not doing well in one or more classes.

Good luck making your decision.

I'm a little surprised with the responses so i dunno if you will like my opinion or not (i also did not apply to texas so im not sure about that specific school).

I had a W on my transcript but even though it is not factored into your GPA it will show up and they will probably ask you about it. Also, W's are forgiven more during your first two years, not your last two. Upward trends are good.

Since you are on the waitlist already it won't matter as much...but don't think that that cant influence their decision. Most people decide to take W's if they are going to fail the course, but it sounds like you are doing fine in it. If you are debating about choosing to get a W and an A vs. two Bs, definitely take the 2 Bs. W's on a transcript don't look good, especially late in the game. Some people have written about dropping classes after being accepted but it is usually for an elective not a major science course.

First off, before you do anything...call the school to make sure. But my thinking is, you are still fighting for a spot in school....withdrawing won't look too hot. And what happens if you don't get off the waitlist? You have to apply next year and they will probably ask you why you have a W if you are only taking two classes. Saying the teacher was bad won't be a good reason.

So unless you think you may fail the course, I'd stick with it. Getting two decent grades is better than acing one and withdrawing from another (especially since they are both upper level sci)

I had a W and it didn't hurt me, but the situation was a little different - it was a prereq that I retook for an A later, and I had to withdraw because of technical problems (the digital lab software for the online chem class stopped working on my computer halfway through the semester and I couldn't go on). However, they might not look so favorably on a W that came about b/c you didn't want to chance a dip in your grades –*it smells slightly of a pre-allo "gunner" attitude that places grades above interest in the material.

This will all be moot if you get called off the waitlist - your acceptance should only be conditional on the prereqs, not electives (although you should still check). However, in that case, all you need to do is pass biochem anyway, so you might as well keep both and avoid the question. If you don't get called in, the W could ding you.

...basically, what Kat said. I guess I thought I had more to contribute, but the only thing I disagree about is the waitlist thing - I think they've already given you a rank on the list, and withdrawing shouldn't shift you up or down that list.

I dropped a course this semester. It was a long story but basically the prof would not let me make up an exam and after many e-mails explaining to him that the weather was bad and the only road to the school had been closed and it was impossible for me to get to the exam he decided to let me take it but only on x day at x time and if I could not make it then I should just drop the class (his words exactly). I was then forced to try to find a different time to go to my lab. So after I got this feeling that he was not happy having to rearrange his schedule I felt like he would use it against me when grading and just decided to drop it. Saved me a lot of hassle but it also dropped this semester to less than full time so I am a little concerned about it and how I will have to explain it should I need to apply next semester. I will have to see how it works out in the end.

I would only drop the class if absolutely necessary. If you are just afraid of getting a couple of B's I would not drop the class. Even if you get an A in biochem and a C in the other upper-level class is probably not going to kill your chances. I would only drop the class if you are going to fail it. As in complete F or D. Because you do not want them to think that you can not handle the course load that comes with vet school. That is the only thing I would be concerned about.