Withdrawing from Biochem II

Started by TR Grant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TR Grant

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,


I'll begin with a little background info as to my specific scenario. I am a non-traditional student who is on track to graduate this May with a BS in Biomedical science and minor in chem. I have also previously obtained a bachelors in nursing, and have worked as an RN for about 4 years. Unfortunately, due to my other obligations, (working overnights as a critical care RN, research, volunteering, 3 other 400 level science classes, studying for the MCAT etc), I had to withdraw from my biochemistry II course, and am now auditing it. FYI, this is the second part of a 1 year biochemistry sequence that mostly covers metabolism, respiration etc. I also do not need biochemistry II to graduate, and was told that I have satisfied the basic science course requirements to apply to medical schools. I managed to pull a B+in biochem 1 by working my A** off, my cumulative is a 3.87.

My primary question is if a "W" on my transcript might be offset in my case with the extracurriculars and work schedule (there are times when I'll be up for 25-30 hours at a time 2-3 days per week 😴). I have no other Ws on my transcript by the way.

I realize biochem is pretty important for any pre med student, and that Ws can raise red flags for ADCOMs. Would it be better to try and take the course at a later date, even if it will drop my GPA? Or just continue with graduation this spring as planned?

Thank you for reading the long-winded post. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Best,
TG
 
Hello Everyone,


I'll begin with a little background info as to my specific scenario. I am a non-traditional student who is on track to graduate this May with a BS in Biomedical science and minor in chem. I have also previously obtained a bachelors in nursing, and have worked as an RN for about 4 years. Unfortunately, due to my other obligations, (working overnights as a critical care RN, research, volunteering, 3 other 400 level science classes, studying for the MCAT etc), I had to withdraw from my biochemistry II course, and am now auditing it. FYI, this is the second part of a 1 year biochemistry sequence that mostly covers metabolism, respiration etc. I also do not need biochemistry II to graduate, and was told that I have satisfied the basic science course requirements to apply to medical schools. I managed to pull a B+in biochem 1 by working my A** off, my cumulative is a 3.87.

My primary question is if a "W" on my transcript might be offset in my case with the extracurriculars and work schedule (there are times when I'll be up for 25-30 hours at a time 2-3 days per week 😴). I have no other Ws on my transcript by the way.

I realize biochem is pretty important for any pre med student, and that Ws can raise red flags for ADCOMs. Would it be better to try and take the course at a later date, even if it will drop my GPA? Or just continue with graduation this spring as planned?

Thank you for reading the long-winded post. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Best,
TG
One W shouldn't be an issue, my transcripts are rather full of them as i had a tumultuous start to school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,


I'll begin with a little background info as to my specific scenario. I am a non-traditional student who is on track to graduate this May with a BS in Biomedical science and minor in chem. I have also previously obtained a bachelors in nursing, and have worked as an RN for about 4 years. Unfortunately, due to my other obligations, (working overnights as a critical care RN, research, volunteering, 3 other 400 level science classes, studying for the MCAT etc), I had to withdraw from my biochemistry II course, and am now auditing it. FYI, this is the second part of a 1 year biochemistry sequence that mostly covers metabolism, respiration etc. I also do not need biochemistry II to graduate, and was told that I have satisfied the basic science course requirements to apply to medical schools. I managed to pull a B+in biochem 1 by working my A** off, my cumulative is a 3.87.

My primary question is if a "W" on my transcript might be offset in my case with the extracurriculars and work schedule (there are times when I'll be up for 25-30 hours at a time 2-3 days per week 😴). I have no other Ws on my transcript by the way.

I realize biochem is pretty important for any pre med student, and that Ws can raise red flags for ADCOMs. Would it be better to try and take the course at a later date, even if it will drop my GPA? Or just continue with graduation this spring as planned?

Thank you for reading the long-winded post. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Best,
TG
TR Grant, sounds like you're OK with this one. I doubt you'd be pre-screened out based on a single W. If it came up at the interview, you'd be very right in saying that you were disappointed when a personal scheduling conflict popped up shortly after the add-drop period expired. Rather than try to do a poor job in a course you were really interested in, you wisely decided it was too important to try and half @ss it. This explanation is entirely plausible in light of your excellent academic performance thus far and would likely not raise any red flags.
 
Some schools require more than 1 biochem?
Not to my knowledge.
My school offers a 300 level "general Biochem" for gen bio majors that is one semester long, and slightly watered down. I took the 400 level Biochem 1, which is the first part of a two semester sequence. It is slightly more in-depth and intended for Biochem and chem majors. The Biochem 2 course covers metabolism/cellular respiration and such, which is why I still chose to audit the course. Important knowledge to have in your back pocket for the MCAT.