Withdrawing from classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian26

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Ive already been accepted into both UMSL and PCO but Im thinking about withdrawing from one of the classes Im in for this last sem. I found out that basically, I wont get credit for the course and it wont count towards my GPA and if I withdraw by tommorow I get some of my money back. I dont have any other W in any of the courses ive taken, anyone have any idea how schools will look at this or will it not matter considering Ive been accepted already?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a pre-requisite for optometry school or just an elective? If it's not required by either schools then what's the point of taking the course, besides for your own personal enjoyment. If I were you and I didn't absolutely need the course then I would withdraw and save some money. But its always good to call and ask each optometry school what they think.

I found out that basically, I wont get credit for the course and it wont count towards my GPA...

Oh...I didn't see this at first. If you don't get the credit and the course is not graded than what's holding you back from withdrawing? To me, its a relatively easy decision. Withdraw and save yourself money, stress, and time OR Complete the course and have nothing to show for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah thats what I was thinking, But I just dont know how schools look at W's? Ive never had one. Its an ANAT course, which is reccomended but not required... I didnt realize I dont get any credit for it till today actually... Ive already submitted the paper work for withdrawl...

Anatomy...? Okay that makes things a bit more difficult cause I'm sure completing the course will undoubtedly help you for your first year of optometry school.....but you won't get credit for it.

Can you withdraw from the course and just show up to lectures to audit periodically? That's what I would do. Actually...I would probably just withdraw and never come back again. That way you get back some of your tuition and you can attend lectures without any stress for grades or what not. Well...you wouldn't be stressed for grades even if you were in the course but you know what I mean.

In ur situation I guess it doesnt really matter if u take the course b/c u have already been accepted. And usually they ask u about any W's u have gotten in the interview, but again u dont have to worry since u have been accepted.

But its good to take reccommended courses right? to strengthen ur application? B/c I am actually taking Anatomy and Biochem right now, Biochem is required for one school that I have applied to and im taking anatomy b/c its reccommended. I know taking this class will help with my first year of opt. school, but in terms of getting into school...it should only help to strengthen the appilcation right or do they not even care since its not a pre req?

Thanks

Yah it should help out, but when I spoke with a few of my friends who are in their first year right now said that what they learned in Anat here didnt help them at all. So I can just dl the lectures if I really want to still, and plus I have a book... Ive e-mailed UMSL to double checke hopefully I get a response back before I have to leave for school.

thanks for the advice all!

I know quite a few med schools make acceptances contingent on completion of all coursework you're currently enrolled in (if I'm remembering this right, you indicate somewhere on AMCAS what you'll be taking in your last year of school). Not sure if it's the same with optometry, but worth checking with the admissions office before you do it.