Withdrawing from this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolcycle_22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I submitted my primaries for both MD and DO schools this cycle (but only one school per system). After receiving my MCAT scores this cycle, I have decided to not apply this cycle and I would like to withdraw. My MCAT was very low even for DO schools and I think I can do a lot better next time around. My question is that would I have to write a whole new personal statement for the next cycle? I am working as a MA again. How do I prepare better? I feel so lost and gutted.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you submit to throw away schools for the MD and DO school? If you did then you don’t have to really change your personal statement as you weren’t aiming for those schools anyways.

It never hurts to update it though considering you’ll have another years worth of experience. Use the time to have multiple people review your application, update accordingly and then process the MCAT score. Anything below a 500 suggests material and content gaps. What resources did you use to study? What were your practice test scores looking like? Was there factors that may have made test day worse (ex sickness, anxiety) did you take full length tests at home with the same exact time scenarios and breaks?

Reactions: 2 users
Did you submit to throw away schools for the MD and DO school? If you did then you don’t have to really change your personal statement as you weren’t aiming for those schools anyways.

It never hurts to update it though considering you’ll have another years worth of experience. Use the time to have multiple people review your application, update accordingly and then process the MCAT score. Anything below a 500 suggests material and content gaps. What resources did you use to study? What were your practice test scores looking like? Was there factors that may have made test day worse (ex sickness, anxiety) did you take full length tests at home with the same exact time scenarios and breaks?
I applied to schools I didn't want to go to for verification purposes. I was scoring 508+ on the practice exams, but test day came and I started freaking out. I definitely do think I have content gap so I will spend 7-8 months prepping to take the exam next March to be able to apply to next May.
Is it considered plagiarizing if I use almost the same personal statement? Google was giving mixed answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use the same essay if you want to, and if you are worried don't reapply to those 2 schools next year.
Also, you could have new ideas & insights about your essay next year and when you re-read it, you might want to rewrite :)

Reactions: 6 users
I applied to schools I didn't want to go to for verification purposes. I was scoring 508+ on the practice exams, but test day came and I started freaking out. I definitely do think I have content gap so I will spend 7-8 months prepping to take the exam next March to be able to apply to next May.
Is it considered plagiarizing if I use almost the same personal statement? Google was giving mixed answers.
You are not plagiarizing if you are using your own writing. That's not the issue.

The question is whether using the essays that you wrote this cycle for next cycle will allow you to highlight the most impressive experiences as well as the growth and maturation that should take place between when you wrote your essays and when you will need to submit your application. Normally the most impressive experiences are the most recent ones, and they won't be there. I wouldn't wholesale take last year's app and use it for that reason. Also, you can usually improve something when you look at it months after writing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users