Withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strech

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my question is this. I have my deposit down at one school and already sent in my acceptance letter. I just go into my top choice school and now I need to withdraw from my previous acceptance.

What is the proper way to do this, a phone call, a letter, or an email?

Members don't see this ad.

just make a phone call. quick and easy

Usually you make a phone call, and then most schools will ask for it in writing, in which case you just send them an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my question is this. I have my deposit down at one school and already sent in my acceptance letter. I just go into my top choice school and now I need to withdraw from my previous acceptance.

What is the proper way to do this, a phone call, a letter, or an email?

Same situation happened to me. I accepted at one school while I was waitlisted at my first choice. One week later, I got the call from my first choice and had to send word to the other school (I think I actually sent a letter although now a classy withdrawal e-mail is just as good). I ate $1000 for the deposit on the former school, but I ended up saving tens of thousands in the long run.

Congratulations on your first choice and good luck in d-school :luck:

I did it by letter, and I made sure to thank them for the opportunity to interview at their school and for the acceptance.

that was the best part of the whole application cycle for me. i loved writing the schools telling them i am no longer interested in their school. yessssssss