Withdraws and Fails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZ123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was just curious, i was talking to someone that is also applying to PT school this year and she asked me if i could give her my honest opinion on her stats. Her stats are about 3.1 overall with a GRE score of 1000. She has about 8 Withdraws and 1 failed class and she retook the class and got a B+ in it. Pre-req is about 3.4.

i didn't even know what to say about it so i just told her i didn't know. what do you guys think about this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

8 withdrawals?! :eek:

Wow. That's a lot... Unless it was a total semester withdrawal because of a medical issue or something.

I mean, I'd be a little worried with all those withdrawals. That's a LOT of explaining to do, as far as saying that the PT rigorous schedule could be handled...

I had one "D" and one "W" and I was still accepted lol....but not to the schools you friend propbably wants to apply to. BTW, I din't even retake the "D" for a better grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that she needs to be prepared to account for those withdrawls try to put it in a more positive light. Its hard to give advice without knowing if she withdrew from a few classes in different semesters or all in one semester because of an emergency. Her pre-req GPA is pretty good. PT schools want to know that an applicant is committed and able to handle the course-load.

like others have said, offhand it looks bad. but, if she can explain it, then that's another thing. What classes were the withdrawals in? I had one W from freshman year from chemistry (wasn't pre-PT then), which I then retook years later. If the Ws are in classes that are irrelevant to PT (like art history or something), then it's not as impactful.

Tell her to take advantage of the section on the app that gives her space to explain if her transcript doesn't accurately reflect her academic abilities.