Withdrew from 4 classes.. Worries me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dasaniii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm applying for this cycle as a rising senior at a good public university, but I have 4 W's on my transcript... 3 of them are actually pre-reqs, bio 1, gen chem 1 and ochem 2.

I dropped Bio 1 and Gen Chem 2 in my freshman year, and I dropped Ochem 2 and entomolgy (<-- yeah i know.. Pretty sad..) in my sophomore year.

When I retook them, I got B's in all 3 :( I don't want to give excuses, but these classes in my university were notorious for being weed out classes. For each class, half of the class (200 ppl) withdrew. But I know that I could have done better.. So it's my fault in the end :/

I had around 3.4 oGPA until the first semester of sophomore year, but I managed to maintain 3.7+ till the end of junior year. This cycle, I applied with 3.57 sGPA and 3.63 oGPA, and I'm planning on taking upper level science courses to improve my GPA and rigor in my senior year.

So guys, I'm wondering if my early mistakes can be forgiving to the admission committees. I clearly have an upward trend, but it worries me a lot.

Btw my DAT is 21 AA, 22 TS (19 Bio, 23 GC, 25 OC), 18 RC, 21 QR and 23 PAT.

What do y'all think..?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm applying for this cycle as a rising senior at a good public university, but I have 4 W's on my transcript... 3 of them are actually pre-reqs, bio 1, gen chem 1 and ochem 2.

I dropped Bio 1 and Gen Chem 2 in my freshman year, and I dropped Ochem 2 and entomolgy (<-- yeah i know.. Pretty sad..) in my sophomore year.

When I retook them, I got B's in all 3 :( I don't want to give excuses, but these classes in my university were notorious for being weed out classes. For each class, half of the class (200 ppl) withdrew. But I know that I could have done better.. So it's my fault in the end :/

I had around 3.4 oGPA until the first semester of sophomore year, but I managed to maintain 3.7+ till the end of junior year. This cycle, I applied with 3.57 sGPA and 3.63 oGPA, and I'm planning on taking upper level science courses to improve my GPA and rigor in my senior year.

So guys, I'm wondering if my early mistakes can be forgiving to the admission committees. I clearly have an upward trend, but it worries me a lot.

Btw my DAT is 21 AA, 22 TS (19 Bio, 23 GC, 25 OC), 18 RC, 21 QR and 23 PAT.

What do y'all think..?
I think you have a decent chance. Good upward trend with good GPA and DAT scores. It clearly shows that you are improving and working harder. Just be able to explain those W's on your transcripts during interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
You've retaken them so that's good, but be ready to answer questions regarding those W's if you get interviews.

I think you have a decent chance. Good upward trend with good GPA and DAT scores. It clearly shows that you are improving and working harder. Just be able to explain those W's on your transcripts during interviews

Thanks for replying! So you're saying that my 4 W's won't hinder me from getting interviews? :O

You've retaken them so that's good, but be ready to answer questions regarding those W's if you get interviews.

Thanks for the reply! I am confident that I can explain it during interviews haha.. But do you think they won't hinder me from getting interviews? hm..

Thanks for replying! So you're saying that my 4 W's won't hinder me from getting interviews? :O
I think so since you've shown great improvements, along with great DAT scores. But again, be prepared to explain your W's at your interviews

Reactions: 1 user
That I'm not sure of. Your GPA is above average as well as your DAT so they may invite you to get a better feel for you as a person. Who knows, but good luck! You definitely have a solid chance.

B's aren't bad. Its much better than getting a C or worse since W's don't affect your GPA. I actually didn't realize that I had a W in one of my upper divs my junior year (some random natural sciences course) until AADSAS auto-corrected it for me. Upward trend + good DAT will get adcoms to see you as a strong candidate.

W's will not prevent you from getting interviews. I had one and I still got an interview invite recently and it's likely they won't ask me or you why you withdrew from a certain course, especially when your DAT is strong.

We meet again >:O. Honestly, I think if you just give a good reason you'll be fine :). You seem like a strong candidate mah friend

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmmm I think a lot of us have met each other before ;) but yes to OP to reiterate again, stats-wise you are great!
We meet again >:O. Honestly, I think if you just give a good reason you'll be fine :). You seem like a strong candidate mah friend

Reactions: 1 users
You can't withdraw in dental school.

You can't withdraw in dental school.

Thank you for your reply. I am fully aware of that, and I hope admissions are forgiving because I made those mistakes early in my college years. I clearly showed an upward trend with no W's ever since the 2nd semester of my 2nd year. I will be more than happy to explain this to them at the interview, but I was wondering if it would be hard for me to get an interview in the first place.

I have more W's than you and am getting interviews. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your reply. I am fully aware of that, and I hope admissions are forgiving because I made those mistakes early in my college years. I clearly showed an upward trend with no W's ever since the 2nd semester of my 2nd year. I will be more than happy to explain this to them at the interview, but I was wondering if it would be hard for me to get an interview in the first place.

~

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think withdrawing is better than getting a D or failing - especially as a freshman when everything is so new and can be difficult for some people. Don't stress. I agree with others - be able to explain it.

I have more W's than you and am getting interviews. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile
Hey! thanks for replying. Were the classes you withdrew pre-requisite classes? I really hope I can get interviews haha..