Withdrew from MD Program in 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavender201

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope you are all doing well. I'm new to SDN but I could use some help and guidance at this time. I recently left medical school in my second year just a quick background about me:
  • BA in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (3.2 GPA)
  • MS in Biomedical Science (3.0 GPA)
  • MCAT: 501 (multiple attempts)
  • Prior to starting medical school was wait-listed at two DO programs on the East Coast, and accepted to Temple's Podiatry program
  • Previous MA experience in OB/GYN, Published one paper in Undergrad with Microbiology bench work experience
  • Lots of leadership, community service, and shadowing experience
  • Began MD program at SGU in 2020 (Term 2 was Credit Remediated, Term 3 Failed the first time and repeated with a passing grade, Term 4 took an LOA for the first time and repeated 2 more times and Failed)
  • From August 2020-June 2022 I was Online, I moved to Grenada for Medical School in July 2022 and Withdrew from the MD program in July 2023

I'm not exactly sure on how to proceed forward with my Career aspirations in medicine. The biggest reason for me to leave medical school was the burn out, lack of professionalism and bullying from SGU, and rigor of the curriculum. I know I tried my very best and gave every effort and energy I could into those three years I was there. I put relationships and personal experiences on the side and fully focused on working and studying hard. At the end of the day it came down to me not being proud to graduate from an institution like SGU, and I know that experience will be similar at another Caribbean school so although I am passionate about medicine and continuing my career in it here are my non-negotiables:

• Will not go back to a Caribbean medical school EVER
  • Aiming for a career with a great job market after graduating what will allow me to earn a six-figure starting salary
Any thoughts, suggestions, follow-up questions and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You could try for PA school. The chances of getting into a US MD/DO school aren’t great since you’ve already matriculated at a medical school, but you could still give applying a shot.

Last edited:
Podiatry might be a good bet to stay in the medical field and make 6 figures - have read here before that MD/DO matriculation is very difficult to impossible with a prior medical school withdrawal.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, I think you are going to find that you are going to face the consequences of betting on yourself and losing by going the Caribbean route. While “go to PA school” is frequently advised, everything I have read is that PA schools tend not to look favorably on students who failed out of medical school (ie this is this second choice). That would presumably go double for students who failed out of Caribbean school. There are just plenty of qualified students who genuinely want to be a PA and haven’t faced academic hardship, so there is generally no need to take a chance on someone in your situation. You are welcome to try but I don’t think it’s going to be very fruitful.

The corollary to this is, you are probably unqualified to do just about anything right now. You’ve spent the last 3+ years in medical school, so any of your prior skills have atrophied. Podiatry is one option that I sometimes seen thrown out, you can take a look at our podiatry forum and see if that is something that appeals to you. But whatever you do, it’s going to take some significant additional training to get the kind of compensation you’re asking for, so before you rush off in a new direction really make sure that you’re making the right decision for yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
Your path to becoming a physician is at the end; odds of getting in to medical school after prolonged attempts to pass a caribbean med school is essentially zero.
If you want something medicine related:
RN-->NP (likely easier to get into than PA school)
pharmacy
optometry
cardiac perfusionist
podiatry (but I think it's fairly competitive?)
CNM

Reactions: 2 users
Thank You all for your suggestions and recommendations.

Here are a few options I was considering, and problems I’m facing to provide context to my situation.

- any professional school or program that I would apply to I would like to matriculate into for the starting class of 2024
- Cardiac Perfusion, Podiatry, Dentistry and PA were the ones that I was considering
- Going to medical school the systems I enjoyed studying the most were Pulmonology, Pathology, Peds, Gastroenterology, Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine. However, since I didn’t get a chance to rotate in my third year so I haven’t had first hand experience in some of these.
- I need a job in the meantime, where I can make a salary between 70-80k so I can pay back some of my student loans, thankfully with savings I’ve been able to pay off a few of the ones I accumulated through my experiences prior to medical school but I would like to be able to make a living while working towards another professional degree
- I am willing to work in a Pharmaceutical company, as a clinical research coordinator or associate, healthcare consulting, anything that would help me get to that competitive salary
- If I’m applying to PA or Podiatry do I need to retake the MCAT?

Pathologist assistant is another thought—lots of jobs, and starting salary is about $100k.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Thank You all for your suggestions and recommendations.

Here are a few options I was considering, and problems I’m facing to provide context to my situation.

- any professional school or program that I would apply to I would like to matriculate into for the starting class of 2024
This seems like a stretch given that most application seasons are already underway and you don’t actually know what you want to do. even if you could be successful, jumping headlong into a new career without really knowing what you’re getting into seems like a bad idea.
- Cardiac Perfusion, Podiatry, Dentistry and PA were the ones that I was considering
You aren’t competitive for dental or PA. Not sure about the other two.
- I need a job in the meantime, where I can make a salary between 70-80k so I can pay back some of my student loans, thankfully with savings I’ve been able to pay off a few of the ones I accumulated through my experiences prior to medical school but I would like to be able to make a living while working towards another professional degree
- I am willing to work in a Pharmaceutical company, as a clinical research coordinator or associate, healthcare consulting, anything that would help me get to that competitive salary
I think this is almost certainly not possible. You are not qualified for these jobs, nor would such a job be particularly useful in getting you relevant experience for whatever your next career is, nor would most employers be super excited about hiring someone who is planning to stay less than a year. This comes back to figuring out what you want to do—start with that, and then find a job that will get you closer to that goal. Keep in mind that entry level jobs suck, so you’re probably not going to get a job you are happy with at first. Everyone has to do a job that isn’t super exciting well to get to do something better.
- If I’m applying to PA or Podiatry do I need to retake the MCAT?
Not sure about podiatry. I don’t think PA uses the MCAT.
Pathologist assistant is another thought—lots of jobs, and starting salary is about $100k.
These programs are at least as competitive as PA, if not more so.

Podiatry takes the MCAT. PA uses the GRE. :)

Also, @lavender201, consider applying for income-based repayment on your loans. Of course, it's good to pay them down, but this way you don't feel so pressured to get a job with a certain salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps take some computer science courses and get a job as a software engineer. This will take 1-2 years at most and you are likely to get a six-figure salary.
I’ve heard the market is tight for entry level positions, especially for people who don’t have a formal degree and have only done boot camp type stuff

Sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, I think you are going to find that you are going to face the consequences of betting on yourself and losing by going the Caribbean route. While “go to PA school” is frequently advised, everything I have read is that PA schools tend not to look favorably on students who failed out of medical school (ie this is this second choice). That would presumably go double for students who failed out of Caribbean school. There are just plenty of qualified students who genuinely want to be a PA and haven’t faced academic hardship, so there is generally no need to take a chance on someone in your situation. You are welcome to try but I don’t think it’s going to be very fruitful.

The corollary to this is, you are probably unqualified to do just about anything right now. You’ve spent the last 3+ years in medical school, so any of your prior skills have atrophied. Podiatry is one option that I sometimes seen thrown out, you can take a look at our podiatry forum and see if that is something that appeals to you. But whatever you do, it’s going to take some significant additional training to get the kind of compensation you’re asking for, so before you rush off in a new direction really make sure that you’re making the right decision for yourself.
OP didn’t say anything about failing out. Withdrawing for personal reasons vs failing out are two entirely different things.

Reactions: 1 user
OP didn’t say anything about failing out. Withdrawing for personal reasons vs failing out are two entirely different things.
It was in there, just kinda buried

Began MD program at SGU in 2020 (Term 2 was Credit Remediated, Term 3 Failed the first time and repeated with a passing grade, Term 4 took an LOA for the first time and repeated 2 more times and Failed)

It was in there, just kinda buried
I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I withdrew for personal reasons, please be kind as I haven't shared every aspect of my journey on here just the surface level things. Thank You.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This seems like a stretch given that most application seasons are already underway and you don’t actually know what you want to do. even if you could be successful, jumping headlong into a new career without really knowing what you’re getting into seems like a bad idea.

You aren’t competitive for dental or PA. Not sure about the other two.

I think this is almost certainly not possible. You are not qualified for these jobs, nor would such a job be particularly useful in getting you relevant experience for whatever your next career is, nor would most employers be super excited about hiring someone who is planning to stay less than a year. This comes back to figuring out what you want to do—start with that, and then find a job that will get you closer to that goal. Keep in mind that entry level jobs suck, so you’re probably not going to get a job you are happy with at first. Everyone has to do a job that isn’t super exciting well to get to do something better.

These programs are at least as competitive as PA, if not more so.
Seriously - I would apply to Epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I withdrew for personal reasons, please be kind as I haven't shared every aspect of my journey on here just the surface level things. Thank You.
I am certainly trying to be as kind as possible. You are welcome to use whichever terminology you prefer. I will say that regardless, because of the portion that I quoted, the perception is going to be that you were unable to handle the academic rigor of medical school. You need to have an honest assessment of how your application will be perceived as you try to plan your next move.

EDIT: It appears the OP has locked this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users