WMU vs Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aurora1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was accepted to WMU a few months ago and it was my only acceptance and I was very happy. I was accepted to Drexel yesterday afternoon with only a few days to narrow down my decision. Any input is much appreciated!

WMU
Pros:
Small class size
Administration is VERY responsive and helpful
Positive experience at my interview day-students seemed generally happy
High match rates
High step pass rates
Kalamazoo has a relatively low cost of living

Cons:
Decompressed curriculum, would like the opportunity to complete research during the summer
Step during year 3
Kalamazoo-I want to work in an urban environment
Newer school, only 2 classes graduated so far
Not as many clinical sites

Drexel
Pros:
Location, as stated above I want to work in an urban environment
More established
Step after year 2, good pass rates
Closer to home (MA)
More opportunities for research

Cons:
No in-person lectures (not too important to me, but it would be nice to have the option to sit in the classroom for lectures)
Larger class size
Higher cost of living in Philly

Members don't see this ad.

I’m personally not a fan of Drexel. When I was researching it it seemed to have a weirdly tenuous relationship with its teaching hospital(s). I would at least look into that first.

Depending on what you find when researching I’d add: even though Drexel is a known product, since WMU has graduated some classes you do have some perspective on whether the school is supporting its students adequately, and I wouldn’t let its newness stop you from going if you think you’ll be happier there.

I have an excellent relationship with the administration at DUCOM, fwiw.

Yeah, HUH has some problems but I am going to graduate from DUCOM having only done one two-week elective there. So, I feel like the sky isn’t falling.

PS: there are a lot of naysayers who “hate” Drexel on here based on what they read on SDN. It made me really apprehensive on going there at all (even as my only acceptance) because of what is written on here. Guess what? We match well, I will have my MD. Go where you’ll be happiest with the most support. DUCOM costs a ton, so keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an excellent relationship with the administration at DUCOM, fwiw.

Yeah, HUH has some problems but I am going to graduate from DUCOM having only done one two-week elective there. So, I feel like the sky isn’t falling.

PS: there are a lot of naysayers who “hate” Drexel on here based on what they read on SDN. It made me really apprehensive on going there at all (even as my only acceptance) because of what is written on here. Guess what? We match well, I will have my MD. Go where you’ll be happiest with the most support. DUCOM costs a ton, so keep that in mind.

Noted!