Women and Orthopedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucieak15

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think about it. Anything.

Members don't see this ad.

THere are lots of women practicing as staff orthopedic surgeons and training as orthopedic residents. Although they are still a minority, there really shouldn't be an issue about it.

Are you interested in orthopedics yourself???

I used to think all women could and should do orthopedics if they want to. I still think this is true, but after doing a rotation in it, I realize that there is a requirement for a lot of brute physical strenghth to do the job. I am a petite, but strong woman, and I honestly do not think I could reduce some of the fractures and dislocations manually on a 300 lb patient. The patients are just so much bigger than me, and as a student holding the leg up during an operation, I thought long and hard about this topic.

So, you definately can do it and I think if you really love it you should, but just be aware of the job demands and challenges you may face because it is a very psysical job sometimes.

There is no reason women shouldn't be able to do Ortho, but they still comprise only 5-7% of the ortho match. It doesn't appear that the numbers are increasing this year. I have done 12 interviews so far and have usually only seen 1 or 2 women per interview with about 20-25 men. I don't think it is a matter of programs not interviewing women as much as lack of interest female students. I don't know why any female would want to hang out with a bunch of vulgar meathead ortho guys, but if you aren't bothered by our vulgarity, grab a bone saw and let's have some fun.