women attire, again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zappeuse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it OK to wear purple shoes with heels, very simple (but purple) on the interview? with a brown suit. They fit together but I am not sure about the color. thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

is it OK to wear purple shoes with heels, very simple (but purple) on the interview? with a brown suit. They fit together but I am not sure about the color. thanks..

I'd recommend against heels in general unless you know you could run a marathon in them (or at least walk a couple of miles), I wore heels to my first (home) iv and was like, never again, I had to go home barefoot on a rainy day after my iv was over cuz my feet hurt so much.

And I guess it's better to judge from a photo, but brown suit and purple shoes ring warning bells for me, but I don't know the shades and if they match, but I'd go with black and/or flats.

IMHO, heels are fine as long as they're not too high and as long as you're used to heels (ie. you can keep up with the group when touring the hospital, walking up and downstairs). i personally have been wearing heels and have seen many girls in heels thus far.

purple+brown i'm not as sure about... probably depends on the shade of each.

thank you..they fit very well together, here in europe most feedback is like WOW but interview is not a fashion show so i might switch to a more modest combination..

I vote no for the purple shoes. Maybe try brown. There have been several ladies in brown suits at my interviews but I haven't noticed what colour shoes they're wearing.

I've been wearing wedges and they are very comfortable. It was a great decision.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Europe is a bit more fashion-forward than the US. What plays in, say, France may not play in Mississippi. I dunno, but yeah, I'd play it safe with neutral colors (black, brown, gray). Also depends on what you are applying in, psychiatry is probably more accepting than surgery.

And admittedly, I hate wearing heels and am not as used to them as other women. I'm also interviewing in very cold places where there likely will be ice/snow on the ground and heels aren't a good combo with those. Again, in the south they may expect heels more than in the frozen tundra. Wedges are a good compromise.

Wear black shoes with black or gray suits.
Wear brown with brown.
Wear either with navy.

Please don't wear brown shoes with a black suit. You'll look like this is your first time dressing up in a suit ever.

Get your pants hemmed while wearing your interview shoes. Don't skip on hemming unless the pants magically fit perfectly off the rack. Pants that are too long also look like this is your first time wearing a suit.

I wear flats or a kitten (1/2 to 1 inch) heel. Wedges look good as long as the wedge is the same color as the shoe. NOT CORK.

Also, I have seen one person change into more comfortable shoes for the tour. This seemed like a good idea, except her comfortable shoes were black fuzzy ugg boots and they were conspicuous.

Regarding heels: how long is too long?

You should be able to walk and climb stairs in whatever you wear, nothing clumsier than a girl who can't walk in her own shoes. And get someone else to confirm that you can walk in them, selfevaluation fails many people in this regard

I wore the same suit I bought 4 yrs ago for my med school interview. I spent $400.00 on it and it still fits so, why not? It is not like I have any extra $$ anyways...