Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What is the distinction between pumps and heels? And I also have a very short hair cut. Is it okay to keep it this way or should I try to grow it out more? I don't think it's particularly unprofessional, but my sense of what is okay is pretty lacking.
 
What is the distinction between pumps and heels?
I'm not sure of what distinction @gyngyn is thinking about either. Pumps can have heels of any height but are probably, on average 2.5-3 inches.
And I also have a very short hair cut. Is it okay to keep it this way or should I try to grow it out more? I don't think it's particularly unprofessional, but my sense of what is okay is pretty lacking.

I'm sure its fine (not sure how you could grow your hair fast enough during interview season for it to make any significant difference).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL - yes here. I have everything you've mentioned: suits with glitter pinstripes, the leather accents which are so popular this year (although which are mostly polyurethane and hand washable), and definitely tons of things with three-quarter length sleeves!

Come to think of it, my city is infamous for being staid and buttoned-up, so I might not be the most in touch with what average professional women can wear to work. I actually liked some of the 'fun' suits I saw -- didn't mean to throw any shade on the glitter. 😉.
3/4 sleeves really bug me because I like having the option to put on a long-sleeve sweater, and shorter sleeves always bunch up underneath.

By the way, I found a Theory suit at Marshall's for $200! It's black, but wow, what a great deal!

Also, another option for the conservative grey suit at Land's End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-446940_AD.html. (And the skirt: www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-447148_AD.html)
If I receive any more II, I'm considering buying this one as a back-up. They have been great with returns, which helps because their sizing can be a little unpredictable.
 
I have an interview tomorrow and I have a quick question, if anyone could help me! I have a thin black leather portfolio which I'll be using to carry my ID, notepad and pen. However, it's too thin to slip my car key into. Is it inappropriate for me to carry a black leather purse? The most professional looking one I have is this one.

http://www.katespade.com/grove-cour...oss-body#start=12&cgid=ks-handbags-cross-body

If not, are there any other places I can keep my key?
 
I have an interview tomorrow and I have a quick question, if anyone could help me! I have a thin black leather portfolio which I'll be using to carry my ID, notepad and pen. However, it's too thin to slip my car key into. Is it inappropriate for me to carry a black leather purse? The most professional looking one I have is this one.

http://www.katespade.com/grove-cour...oss-body#start=12&cgid=ks-handbags-cross-body

If not, are there any other places I can keep my key?

Definitely not inappropriate! In fact I would recommend a purse over a portfolio. There's no reason to have a portfolio in the first place... they already have your application and resume so it's really just functioning as an accessory. A purse is far more useful and still looks professional.
 
I agree: I see no reason for a portfolio and a purse. Pick one or the other.

For those that wish to carry a single car key and a portfolio but find the key will not fit into the latter, consider safety pinning the key to the inside of your skirt, trousers, or jacket.
 
Yes they are two very different types of shoes aren't they? LOL

I classify anything that has a covered toe as a pump. Of course you can have an open toe pump but the majority of the foot is still covered. So that allows for slingback pumps, stiletto F me Loubs etc.
If nuns can play basketball in them, they are pumps. I loved that commercial! If heels are higher (or spikier), then they are"heels." I admit this is not scientific...
 
I have a pretty general question that I'm sure has been covered but most of the posts I've browsed are more specific questions- is wearing a business formal dress with pumps and a blazer equally as acceptable as a pant suit/skirt suit? I enjoy dressing well/fashionably and understand what would be appropriate for an interview setting so I'd much rather wear a flattering and appropriate dress than a suit. As long as its appropriate and not too "trendy" is this okay?
 
If nuns can play basketball in them, they are pumps. I loved that commercial! If heels are higher (or spikier), then they are"heels." I admit this is not scientific...
😛

Alright Doctor. So if an obedient chaste woman can run after a basketball in the shoe, that footwear is a "pump". Got it.

What if they are high platforms? Are those "heels"? Or just high spikes?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question regarding changing into flats for the tours - I can find a purse that might fit the flats, but it definitely won't fit the heels. Do most people carry around a larger bag that will also fit the heels?
 
Come to think of it, my city is infamous for being staid and buttoned-up, so I might not be the most in touch with what average professional women can wear to work.

LOL…that might have given away your location, so I understand. Your local professional women are not to be looked at for fashion advice. 😛

I actually liked some of the 'fun' suits I saw -- didn't mean to throw any shade on the glitter. 😉.

Well I am sort of a peacock gal, as are many in my specialty, so we are a little more "glittery" than most women in medicine, but "time and place", so I too wouldn't wear a glitter stripe or leather accented suit to an interview.

3/4 sleeves really bug me because I like having the option to put on a long-sleeve sweater, and shorter sleeves always bunch up underneath.

True. I like them because I can show off my bracelets but its warm enough here in the winter to not wear a sweater under the suit.

By the way, I found a Theory suit at Marshall's for $200! It's black, but wow, what a great deal!

Good buy! I love Theory clothes.

Also, another option for the conservative grey suit at Land's End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-446940_AD.html. (And the skirt: www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-447148_AD.html)
If I receive any more II, I'm considering buying this one as a back-up. They have been great with returns, which helps because their sizing can be a little unpredictable.

I've never purchased anything frm Lands End - although I have a nice SDN hoodie sort of thing from them and great customer service (the one I ordered was way too big and even though it was customized, they took it back which I imagine they wouldn't normally do).
 
I have a pretty general question that I'm sure has been covered but most of the posts I've browsed are more specific questions- is wearing a business formal dress with pumps and a blazer equally as acceptable as a pant suit/skirt suit? I enjoy dressing well/fashionably and understand what would be appropriate for an interview setting so I'd much rather wear a flattering and appropriate dress than a suit. As long as its appropriate and not too "trendy" is this okay?
I would venture that the answer is "yes"; a matched dress/suit combo is perfectly acceptable.
 
What do you guys think of a bag like this? I kept trying to find something that would accommodate a pair of heels and my portfolio, but I've seen some great smaller, flat bags that people have been posting on here that might be a better choice - plus, I agree that both a portfolio and a purse will probably be unnecessary. That amazing kate spade bag posted above looks like the perfect style, so if that type of design/size is also good, maybe I'll go for that. I'm just not sure what's too small (or too large)!

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-saffiano-leather-tote?ID=1711088&CategoryID=27686&LinkType=#fn=PAGEINDEX=5&sp=5&spc=2516&ruleId=&slotId=435

Edit: These seem like pretty nice smaller options? (now if only I could find ones with a price more within my budget! 😛)

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=PAGEINDEX=6&sp=6&spc=2516&ruleId=&slotId=596

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...AGEINDEX=10&sp=10&spc=2516&ruleId=&slotId=941
 
Last edited:
W

Edit: These seem like pretty nice smaller options? (now if only I could find ones with a price more within my budget! 😛)

Do you have a DSW or Nordstrom Rack nearby? I know they both carry a very similar Calvin Klein bag (although not on-line), only in stores, for cheaper than the Macy's price.

And don't forget about Target. They have some perfectly acceptable cute bags there; unless you will get good use out of it, its not worth spending money on an expensive bag *now*.
 
interview appropriate?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 224
Guyz? These OK? I think they fuggo but seem professional. Found em at a thrift store!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20140910_163613899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140910_163613899_HDR.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 280
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm a noob who thought loafers = good, but i can tell you that rebecca minkoff purse quality is total crap.

edit, tho fwiw that looks like a fine size to me

Really? It seemed like really good quality to me, but I'm not really concerned with it lasting, I just wanna know if the size/look is good.
 
I'd say that its on the larger size, but if you're a larger woman, then it will be proportional. The more classic shape and color keeps it from looking like a beach tote.
Unfortunately, I'm kind of small...as long as it doesn't look ridiculous I guess I'm fine?
It's nice-looking, but certainly not the least expensive bag with that look. Do you love that particular bag $200 more than the look-alikes? And/Or will you carry a bag of that size often enough to warrant the price tag.
Yes, I agree, but I actually already bought this bag some time ago so I'm just hoping to be able to use it!
 
Thank you for the help! I love slingbacks, but have no problem finding heels with a closed heel! ... just gotta find some band aids to wear under my panty hose!
I'm sorry but slingbacks are not conservative enough for your interview. In addition, your pants often get stuck in the heel. The shoe must have a covered toe and heel to be appropriate.
 
I'm a looongtime lurker, my first interview's in 2 weeks and I realize that I may have made a horrible mistake re: clothing

shoes are my first problem. I have these and they are amazingly comfortable; I can definitely be in these all day (and I'm pushing 5'10 so I wanted to stay my height), thoughts?: http://www.ninewest.com/BELLSLIPPER...fer&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=ninewest-catalog

shirt: I'm wearing a BR black pantsuit and want to have a blue shell/shirt. I had thought to wear a tank top and plan to keep my blazer on but it now seems that it's a bad idea to do so...?

purse: I'd thought to bring this tote (http://www.target.com/p/merona-tote-handbag/-/A-14590518#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=tote), is it a no go? I didn't know that totes were considered heinous. My alternative might be to bring just a portfolio but I'm worried it's too ostentatious since it's red (http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Belvedere-Portfolio-Refillable-579250/dp/B004OG9FQ6).

Thanks so much!
 
I'm a looongtime lurker, my first interview's in 2 weeks and I realize that I may have made a horrible mistake re: clothing

shoes are my first problem. I have these and they are amazingly comfortable; I can definitely be in these all day (and I'm pushing 5'10 so I wanted to stay my height), thoughts?: http://www.ninewest.com/BELLSLIPPER...fer&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=ninewest-catalog

shirt: I'm wearing a BR black pantsuit and want to have a blue shell/shirt. I had thought to wear a tank top and plan to keep my blazer on but it now seems that it's a bad idea to do so...?

purse: I'd thought to bring this tote (http://www.target.com/p/merona-tote-handbag/-/A-14590518#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=tote), is it a no go? I didn't know that totes were considered heinous. My alternative might be to bring just a portfolio but I'm worried it's too ostentatious since it's red (http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Belvedere-Portfolio-Refillable-579250/dp/B004OG9FQ6).

Thanks so much!
Honestly, I'm not sure this is going to work very well for you. The shoes are definitely too casual. The portfolio is pretty bold, but it may still be better than the tote. I still think you could probably get away with the tank top and blazer, but that's up to you. My main concern is color clashing - you have a blue shell, black pantsuit, brown bag, grey shoes, red portfolio... hmmm. Doing a quick search on Amazon, I pulled up a lot of black portfolios between 15 and 45 dollars. Can't you buy another one? Sorry to be such a downer - I just really want you to think through this before making a mistake. Ultimately, though, I'm not exactly a queen of fashion myself, so I could be wrong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a looongtime lurker, my first interview's in 2 weeks and I realize that I may have made a horrible mistake re: clothing

shoes are my first problem. I have these and they are amazingly comfortable; I can definitely be in these all day (and I'm pushing 5'10 so I wanted to stay my height), thoughts?: http://www.ninewest.com/BELLSLIPPER...fer&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=ninewest-catalog

shirt: I'm wearing a BR black pantsuit and want to have a blue shell/shirt. I had thought to wear a tank top and plan to keep my blazer on but it now seems that it's a bad idea to do so...?

purse: I'd thought to bring this tote (http://www.target.com/p/merona-tote-handbag/-/A-14590518#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=tote), is it a no go? I didn't know that totes were considered heinous. My alternative might be to bring just a portfolio but I'm worried it's too ostentatious since it's red (http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Belvedere-Portfolio-Refillable-579250/dp/B004OG9FQ6).

Thanks so much!
Those shoes! They are not formal enough for this situation.
The bag is not business class.
I have less problem with the color of the portfolio, but I don't recommend it.
 
Thanks @gyngyn and @clairephillips ! I actually have the black shoes, not gray. I'll keep my eye out for pumps but will still plan on those for the campus tour re: comfort.

I bought everything piecemeal over a long time so I was just realizing that I might have a problem where the whole that I want is definitely not the sum of my parts.
 
I'm a looongtime lurker, my first interview's in 2 weeks and I realize that I may have made a horrible mistake re: clothing

shoes are my first problem. I have these and they are amazingly comfortable; I can definitely be in these all day (and I'm pushing 5'10 so I wanted to stay my height), thoughts?: http://www.ninewest.com/BELLSLIPPER...fer&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=ninewest-catalog

As others have said, these are not appropriate for a medical school interview. I understand that you might want to wear flats but a small heel is more professional and frankly, since you're already tall, its not like you're fooling anyone by wearing flats.

You want something like this, this, this, or this. If you must do flats, these or these are acceptable


shirt: I'm wearing a BR black pantsuit and want to have a blue shell/shirt. I had thought to wear a tank top and plan to keep my blazer on but it now seems that it's a bad idea to do so…?

A sleeveless blouse is fine. However, it depends on how you are defining "tank top". If the material is silk, crepe de chine, or a fine quality flat knit cashmere or even polyester, it will be fine. If it is cotton knit/jersey/t-shirt material, it is not. You also need to be careful about any arm tattoos, and whether or not your bra straps show under the straps and below the arm holes. So a "tank top" is fine if the material and fit are appropriate.

purse: I'd thought to bring this tote (http://www.target.com/p/merona-tote-handbag/-/A-14590518#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=tote), is it a no go? I didn't know that totes were considered heinous. My alternative might be to bring just a portfolio but I'm worried it's too ostentatious since it's red (http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Belvedere-Portfolio-Refillable-579250/dp/B004OG9FQ6).

Thanks so much!

Totes are not "heinous". However, I have been quite vocal about them for the following reasons:

1) some have posted totes made of cotton or plastic, in bright colors, so they honestly look like a beach bag
2) some have posted very large totes. Interviewers are going to wonder, "what does she need to carry with her that she needs a bag so large? Is she high maintenance? What's in that bag?".

All you need is a small purse or portfolio; you don't need to carry something so large that it looks like you're smuggling in an entire drugstore full of makeup.

I don't have a problem with the red of your portfolio, but with a blue top, its not really going to match or even coordinate; that's what will turn me off more than anything. Same goes for the brown tote. Your shoes and bag should match. I realize that in "popular" style they do not, but medicine and a medical school interview are conservative, so that means matching bag, shoes and belt.
 
I bought a navy suit from J Crew and was thinking of wearing this top with it (white with light pink pinstripes)
http://uniqlo.scene7.com/is/image/UNIQLO/goods_11_129056?$pdp-medium$
Good? Not too staid, right?
Also will be wearing black pumps w/2 3/4" heel
Going to go to Target for a bag per @Winged Scapula 's advice b/c suit was spendy!
Honestly, I do think its a bit staid. Personally I find blouses, rather than the button up cotton kid, are more flattering on most people and less staid.

Good call on the Target bag; look online as well if you can't find anything at the store, as they have lots more available on line. Check Amazon as well (especially if you have Prime).
 
Honestly, I do think its a bit staid. Personally I find blouses, rather than the button up cotton kid, are more flattering on most people and less staid.

Good call on the Target bag; look online as well if you can't find anything at the store, as they have lots more available on line. Check Amazon as well (especially if you have Prime).

I tried it on this weekend and was disappointed—the collar seemed to interact weirdly with the lapels of my suit and it just felt boxy and unflattering, as you say. I guess I just loved the idea of pink pinstripes with navy!
Moving on, will check out some of the blouses you linked to earlier. Thanks for all your help on this thread!