Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what I thought it would be. I think I will just go with if I dislike it, it's appropriate, if I like it, it's not. jk
Try to find something that is both "you" and professional. It's one of the keys to finding happiness in medicine.
 
Those tops are all good. I'm a little unsure on the third -- Is it trying to play with navy? with black? with both?
Yes, Ann Taylor (which all 3 photos are from) has been showing a lot of navy and black this year.

I agree; they're all fine for interview purposes. @zen006 - if you've not tried on AT silk blouses, know that many of them have some spandex and will gape at the middle if you have a modest bust and can be too form fitting.
 
Yes, Ann Taylor (which all 3 photos are from) has been showing a lot of navy and black this year.

I agree; they're all fine for interview purposes. @zen006 - if you've not tried on AT silk blouses, know that many of them have some spandex and will gape at the middle if you have a modest bust and can be too form fitting.

thank you so much, I actually haven't worn a silk blouse, and I'm on the smaller side of things as far as busts go... I will play it safe and steer clear!
 
I need some help regarding what kind of suit to wear for my interviews. I've never worn a suit before and I was wondering if I could get away with wearing either of the below suits. Both pants are simple but the blazers have different details, like the darker collar on one and the puffy shoulders on the other.
I want to look professional but also add a personal touch to my outfit. I plan to wear plain short heel black shoes with no jewelry and possibly a small purse. I am concern that this kind of suit is not conservative enough and it will make me look unprofessional.
Thanks in advance for the help!

View attachment 185779 View attachment 185780 View attachment 185781
Left to Right:

1) Absolutely not.
- pants too short
- pleats out of style; no cuffs on pants
- waiter jacket not professional
- contrasting color not professional

2) appropriate color; no to cap sleeves

3) absolutely not
 
Went to my first interview yesterday and thought I'd input my thoughts on dress... Reflections on my own dress: I wore a navy wool dress with matching blazer from banana republic. I also wore black pumps (3 inch heels) and a black purse. I was nervous that id feel out of place in a dress and that my heels were too high. Neither was the case. I felt good, which made me more confident. Lesson learned- wear what makes you feel good, within reason.

I did spot some fashion don't s, though. One girl had a sheath dress with no sleeves, and no blazer. I don't think it was appropriate, although with a jacket it could have been quite nice. A couple others wore coordinated sperates, and looked very underdressed. I would recommend making sure everything fits right, as well. Didn't care much for the pantsuit look, although some looked fine, others looked dumpy.
Last, but not least, hair! A few girls had some seriously messy hair going on. Just put out back into a neat pony! Looks so much better, imo
 
Just a little promotion here: every Sept/October Ann Taylor sells Ann Cares cards. For the purchase of a $25 card, 90% of the proceeds go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (a very reputable charitable organization) and you get $20 off each $100 spent at AT (or $25 if you use an Ann Taylor credit card, so it pays for itself). So for those of you still shopping, this might be a way to save more money. The cards are available now and usually good through October and can be used on sale items.

See: http://www.anntaylor.com/ann-bcrf-lp/cat610010
 
Those of you that have had med school interview experience, do you wear your heels for the whole day? For non-med interviews I just change into heels once I get there, but for these schools the entire day is basically an interview! Should I just suck it up and go with black pumps the whole day or would it be cool to have flats on until the formal interview?
 
Those of you that have had med school interview experience, do you wear your heels for the whole day? For non-med interviews I just change into heels once I get there, but for these schools the entire day is basically an interview! Should I just suck it up and go with black pumps the whole day or would it be cool to have flats on until the formal interview?
I don't recommend flats for the interview. If you can unobtrusively change for the tour, it is not a problem.
 
Tight dresses hitting mid thigh

I understand women who have no style or fashion sense; I shake my head at the dowdy unflattering skirts with flats and the casual suit separates but I understand.

But I *still* don't understand in what world are these women living in where a mini-skirt is formal appropriate business interview wear.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the topic of shoes, are wedges unprofessional? I mean wedges that look exactly like pumps with the exception of a wedge the same color as the rest of the shoe.
Also, are point toe pumps too trendy?
 
On the topic of shoes, are wedges unprofessional? I mean wedges that look exactly like pumps with the exception of a wedge the same color as the rest of the shoe.
Also, are point toe pumps too trendy?
Wedges are considered less formal.

I've only recommended them once; this was to a candidate with a recent ankle injury who felt she could not wear regular heels.

Pointy toes are not too "trendy" but can give off a sexy, dominatrix vibe (which is why I love them so 😉 ). So make sure its not too pointy or high.
 
A suit is not, in and of itself, dowdy. It's the way candidates are wearing it:

- black suit
- white button up shirt
- small pearl stud earrings
- rounded toe black pumps, with < 2 inch heel or flats
- perhaps a "dainty" necklace or single strand of 16" pearls
- hair in bun
- librarian type glasses
- no makeup

It shows no thought, no personality and no effort. Each element of the above is fine I it's own but when brought together leads to that impression.

A dress is not, in and of itself, less dowdy either. They can easily look dowdy as well.

The look you're going for is sophisticated but approachable chic, timeless classics with a twist. I do not expect pre-meds and med students to dress at my level, but I do expect that people who have put that much effort into their studies also realize that regardless of profession, it is expected that you know how to dress for the job; I expect some effort to be put into that.


NOW SOMETHING IVE ALWAYS WONDERED: for those of you who have absolutely no clue, do you not have a mother or favorite aunt to teach you these things? Did you not grow up reading fashion magazines or see TV shows with professionally dressed women? I understand that not everyone enjoys these as much as I, but even those without an interest usually pick up on cues from family and media sources. As I've said before on SDN, I've had more of an issue with female medical students being inappropriately dressed than I have had with the males.

haha, maybe i can answer that last part?? i am HOPELESSLY fashion clueless. i try, i swear! since adulthood i have spent countless hours on youtube and fashion blogs trying to get a clue (and i've read almost every page of this thread so far, and will prob post my own questions soon), but i still fail all the time. :*( my mom ran her own private practice and was SUPER busy throughout my childhood and skipped teaching me how to put makeup on, do my hair, and how to dress. i literally had dreads in my hair when i was 12. on top of that i've never seen her wear makeup in my life so growing up i never even thought dress/makeup/hair were important. she was an only child and my dad's sisters live across the country. i guess i did see professionals on TV/media but my brain went that's TV and what's in my house is real life?? Obviously now I realize what it means to dress professionally, but I don't have that intuitive sense of how to put an outfit together (nor have i had very much practice). I mess up all the time!
 
I have a question about cartilage piercings. I understand that the standard advice is that the only acceptable piercings are one set in the lobes, and if I wanted to play it as safe as possible I should take mine out. However, I think that the main goal here is just to dress appropriately, look polished and confident, and have the interviewer walk away thinking about me and not my outfit. If the rest of my outfit is very traditional/conservative (gray pantsuit, solid colored blouse, 2-3" black leather pumps, structured black leather handbag, minimal or no other accessories) how much of a difference will the cartilage piercings really make? I have two fairly discreet silver hoops in my left ear, and I would really rather not take them out because it's not easy to get them back in. The one time I did change them I had to go to a piercing salon to get them put back in because I couldn't do it myself. Would it make a difference if I wore my shoulder-length hair down so that they're even less noticeable?

For what it's worth, I'm a nontrad (under 30) with plenty of experience in office environments. I feel like I know how to present myself in a mature, professional manner. I guess what I'm asking is, are cartilage piercings one of those things that are a little unorthodox but possible to pull off if the rest of your look is right, or should I just suck it up and take them out?
 
Last edited:
I have a question about cartilage piercings. I understand that the standard advice is that the only acceptable piercings are one set in the lobes, and if I wanted to play it as safe as possible I should take mine out. However, I think that the main goal here is just to dress appropriately, look polished and confident, and have the interviewer walk away thinking about me and not my outfit. If the rest of my outfit is very traditional/conservative (gray pantsuit, solid colored blouse, 2-3" black leather pumps, structured black leather handbag, minimal or no other accessories) how much of a difference will the cartilage piercings really make? I have two fairly discrete silver hoops in my left ear, and I would really rather not take them out because it's not easy to get them back in. The one time I did change them I had to go to a piercing salon to get them put back in because I couldn't do it myself. Would it make a difference if I wore my shoulder-length hair down so that they're even less noticeable?

For what it's worth, I'm a nontrad (under 30) with plenty of experience in office environments. I feel like I know how to present myself in a mature, professional manner. I guess what I'm asking is, are cartilage piercings one of those things that are a little unorthodox but possible to pull off if the rest of your look is right, or should I just suck it up and take them out?

My personal opinion is that since this is one of those "better safe than sorry" moments you should just take them out because you never know how conservative the interviewer/s are. However, if you really think your hair can cover it (which I also think if your hair is going over your ears then it's probably going over your face too much) or they're discreet enough then just leave them in.
 
I have a question about cartilage piercings. I understand that the standard advice is that the only acceptable piercings are one set in the lobes, and if I wanted to play it as safe as possible I should take mine out. However, I think that the main goal here is just to dress appropriately, look polished and confident, and have the interviewer walk away thinking about me and not my outfit. If the rest of my outfit is very traditional/conservative (gray pantsuit, solid colored blouse, 2-3" black leather pumps, structured black leather handbag, minimal or no other accessories) how much of a difference will the cartilage piercings really make? I have two fairly discreet silver hoops in my left ear, and I would really rather not take them out because it's not easy to get them back in. The one time I did change them I had to go to a piercing salon to get them put back in because I couldn't do it myself. Would it make a difference if I wore my shoulder-length hair down so that they're even less noticeable?

For what it's worth, I'm a nontrad (under 30) with plenty of experience in office environments. I feel like I know how to present myself in a mature, professional manner. I guess what I'm asking is, are cartilage piercings one of those things that are a little unorthodox but possible to pull off if the rest of your look is right, or should I just suck it up and take them out?
Take them out. It's not worth the risk.
 
My personal opinion is that since this is one of those "better safe than sorry" moments you should just take them out because you never know how conservative the interviewer/s are. However, if you really think your hair can cover it (which I also think if your hair is going over your ears then it's probably going over your face too much) or they're discreet enough then just leave them in.

Take them out. It's not worth the risk.

Message received. I think it's a little silly that this could factor into my admissions decision, but I'll take them out to be safe. Thanks for the advice!
 
Message received. I think it's a little silly that this could factor into my admissions decision, but I'll take them out to be safe. Thanks for the advice!
Everything counts when so much is at stake. The interview is an assessment of your judgement as much as anything else. It's not so much that anyone really cares about your piercings as much as they care that you know what is expected of you.
 
Everything counts when so much is at stake. The interview is an assessment of your judgement as much as anything else. It's not so much that anyone really cares about your piercings as much as they care that you know what is expected of you.

You're absolutely right @gyngyn, and thanks again for your advice. I think more than anything I am surprised that interviewers even notice this kind of thing, but maybe I have a skewed sense how noticeable these piercings are -- I've had them for so long I often forget they're even there, and compared to the piercings many of my friends have they're quite tame.
 
You're absolutely right @gyngyn, and thanks again for your advice. I think more than anything I am surprised that interviewers even notice this kind of thing, but maybe I have a skewed sense how noticeable these piercings are -- I've had them for so long I often forget they're even there, and compared to the piercings many of my friends have they're quite tame.

You don't want unconscious bias working against you.
 
I have a question about cartilage piercings. I understand that the standard advice is that the only acceptable piercings are one set in the lobes, and if I wanted to play it as safe as possible I should take mine out. However, I think that the main goal here is just to dress appropriately, look polished and confident, and have the interviewer walk away thinking about me and not my outfit. If the rest of my outfit is very traditional/conservative (gray pantsuit, solid colored blouse, 2-3" black leather pumps, structured black leather handbag, minimal or no other accessories) how much of a difference will the cartilage piercings really make? I have two fairly discreet silver hoops in my left ear, and I would really rather not take them out because it's not easy to get them back in. The one time I did change them I had to go to a piercing salon to get them put back in because I couldn't do it myself. Would it make a difference if I wore my shoulder-length hair down so that they're even less noticeable?

For what it's worth, I'm a nontrad (under 30) with plenty of experience in office environments. I feel like I know how to present myself in a mature, professional manner. I guess what I'm asking is, are cartilage piercings one of those things that are a little unorthodox but possible to pull off if the rest of your look is right, or should I just suck it up and take them out?
I agree with the others that you should take them out.

The fact is that these things are "generational"; I'm going to be the age or slightly younger than many of your interviewers. Cartilage piercings were not a "thing" when we were growing up (neither were tattoos really), so when we see something with these things we don't think, "a little unorthodox" we think ,"is there something else about her that is out of the ordinary that she's hiding?"
 
You're absolutely right @gyngyn, and thanks again for your advice. I think more than anything I am surprised that interviewers even notice this kind of thing, but maybe I have a skewed sense how noticeable these piercings are -- I've had them for so long I often forget they're even there, and compared to the piercings many of my friends have they're quite tame.

Remember that physicians are trained to look for all sorts of non-verbal cues from patients. While there are the "absent minded professor" types, many of us notice little details because we've been trained to do so as a cue to disease. It translates into all realms of practice and our non-professional life as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went on an interview recently where I saw some fashion donts. I saw a lot of thigh (more than half), so ladies please check your skirt length when sitting down. I also saw some shoes that looked like fancy toms as well as flats with elastic backs. It definitely did not look sufficiently formal.

I think its ok to arrive in non-heels if there are weather issues. I interviewed on a rainy day and showed up in clogs and quickly changed to my heels. I would hope that med schools recognize that its not very sensible to plow through the rain on slick streets in heels.
 
Its got too many non-standard, casual elements IMHO:

- rayon content makes it look shiny and inexpensive
- zippers
- big buttons
- collar

I'd go with the CK one if its more traditional.
I kind of like that one. It's a little bit non-traditional, but (in my opinion) just enough to be a little bit interesting -- not enough to be 'out there'. (Assuming the fabric is not too shiny or 'cheap looking') The rest of your outfit is traditional and low-key, right?

I honestly do not think the material is very shiny (there's only 4% rayon, apparently), but I did have reservations about the zippers and buttons. I planned on wearing the suit like the model. I did not want to overdue it because the design is non-traditional.
 
Those of you that have had med school interview experience, do you wear your heels for the whole day? For non-med interviews I just change into heels once I get there, but for these schools the entire day is basically an interview! Should I just suck it up and go with black pumps the whole day or would it be cool to have flats on until the formal interview?

I've had some places recommend wearing flats because you will be doing a lot of walking around. I unfortunately can't wear a pantsuit without heels because I just look ridiculous but if you can manage it with flats then go for it! I honestly don't think anyone *really* cares if you're wearing flats or heels, it's not going to be the deciding factor in your acceptance.
 
I've had some places recommend wearing flats because you will be doing a lot of walking around. I unfortunately can't wear a pantsuit without heels because I just look ridiculous but if you can manage it with flats then go for it! I honestly don't think anyone *really* cares if you're wearing flats or heels, it's not going to be the deciding factor in your acceptance.

EXACTLY.

Just as in all the other threads, the advice given here is to sharpen your appearance. Things like wearing a black suit, or flats vs heels are not going to change whether you are accepted or not.

I frankly don't understand the inability to walk in heels and think that most women, even slim ones look dumpy or less professional in flats, but you are not going to be wait listed because you decided to be more comfortable.
 
I honestly do not think the material is very shiny (there's only 4% rayon, apparently), but I did have reservations about the zippers and buttons. I planned on wearing the suit like the model. I did not want to overdue it because the design is non-traditional.
I would wear a brighter shell; that brown is depressing.

You might be able to remove the zipper ends but I don't think its necessary.
 
I just started reading this thread, so a lot of this could be answered elsewhere (but this is super long thread), but:
1. Are white tops just boring? Or is it okay to wear white? I have been under the impression that a white shirt and black suit is the most professional look, but from what I've read so far, that's not necessarily true?
2. And wedges are not okay? Even if they are all black and leather-looking? Wedges are so much easier to walk in over pumps when flats aren't really an option, but I just wanted to clarify before I go into an interview looking unprofessional.

Thank you!
 
I understand women who have no style or fashion sense; I shake my head at the dowdy unflattering skirts with flats and the casual suit separates but I understand.

But I *still* don't understand in what world are these women living in where a mini-skirt is formal appropriate business interview wear.

Are you hating on sorority girls?
 
I've just started reading this thread too, I wish I discovered it earlier! So far I don't think anyone has talked about tie neck blouses. At my interviews so far, I've worn almond toed regular 2.5 inch heels (the Payless comfort plus shoes), and a jewel toned tie neck blouse (Talbots) that I've been wearing under a black pant suit from Antonio Melani (Dillards). I always keep the tie neck tucked inside, like in the first picture. A lot of the people I've run into seem to love it, but now I'm nervous. What do you all think?

Forgive the poor photo quality... this was a picture I sent to my sister.
 

Attachments

  • sUIT_1.JPG
    sUIT_1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 281
  • sUIT_2.JPG
    sUIT_2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 274
Are you hating on sorority girls?
Why would I? I used to be one.

Besides I wasn't aware that sorority girls were known for wearing miniskirts to professional interviews. Certainly not in my house but we have plenty of alumni to educate us on what was appropriate.
 
I've just started reading this thread too, I wish I discovered it earlier! So far I don't think anyone has talked about tie neck blouses. At my interviews so far, I've worn almond toed regular 2.5 inch heels (the Payless comfort plus shoes), and a jewel toned tie neck blouse (Talbots) that I've been wearing under a black pant suit from Antonio Melani (Dillards). I always keep the tie neck tucked inside, like in the first picture. A lot of the people I've run into seem to love it, but now I'm nervous. What do you all think?

Forgive the poor photo quality... this was a picture I sent to my sister.
I believe we did talk about them a few pages back and the consensus was that they are fine as long as you don't get the uptight 70s secretary look. I think your blouse is lovely and perfectly appropriate.
 
I just started reading this thread, so a lot of this could be answered elsewhere (but this is super long thread), but:
1. Are white tops just boring? Or is it okay to wear white? I have been under the impression that a white shirt and black suit is the most professional look, but from what I've read so far, that's not necessarily true?
2. And wedges are not okay? Even if they are all black and leather-looking? Wedges are so much easier to walk in over pumps when flats aren't really an option, but I just wanted to clarify before I go into an interview looking unprofessional.

Thank you!

White tops, if of traditional cut and fabric, and worn with a traditional suit in a traditional cut, can be boring. You need some visual interest somewhere. But there's nothing inherently wrong with a white shirt.
 
I just started reading this thread, so a lot of this could be answered elsewhere (but this is super long thread), but:
1. Are white tops just boring? Or is it okay to wear white? I have been under the impression that a white shirt and black suit is the most professional look, but from what I've read so far, that's not necessarily true?
2. And wedges are not okay? Even if they are all black and leather-looking? Wedges are so much easier to walk in over pumps when flats aren't really an option, but I just wanted to clarify before I go into an interview looking unprofessional.

Thank you!

Sorry - forgot the wedges. I'd give them a pass with a pants suit, but not with a skirt. They are more casual than heels.
 
I've just started reading this thread too, I wish I discovered it earlier! So far I don't think anyone has talked about tie neck blouses. At my interviews so far, I've worn almond toed regular 2.5 inch heels (the Payless comfort plus shoes), and a jewel toned tie neck blouse (Talbots) that I've been wearing under a black pant suit from Antonio Melani (Dillards). I always keep the tie neck tucked inside, like in the first picture. A lot of the people I've run into seem to love it, but now I'm nervous. What do you all think?

Forgive the poor photo quality... this was a picture I sent to my sister.

Gorgeous color. And silk is allowed to be a bit shiny ;-) That tie is fine --
 
Gorgeous color. And silk is allowed to be a bit shiny ;-) That tie is fine --

Aww now I'm blushing! I had a long clothing try on session with my BFF before my first interview. She was so tired and sick of me by the end of it 😀 My top choice turned out to be this one and it served me well. My runner up choice was this one (attached) but I think I made the right choice to keep it in the closet--too many ruffles.

My suit is a little shiny too but I think it looks high quality. It's a very thick sort of charmeuse. I'm not describing it well 😛
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 211
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aww now I'm blushing! I had a long clothing try on session with my BFF before my first interview. She was so tired and sick of me by the end of it 😀 My top choice turned out to be this one and it served me well. My runner up choice was this one (attached) but I think I made the right choice to keep it in the closet--too many ruffles.

My suit is a little shiny too but I think it looks high quality. It's a very thick sort of charmeuse. I'm not describing it well 😛

You're right --Ruffles can be fun, but aren't right for interviews.
 
I'm going to steal one last bit of advice from you sharp folks. My bags are typically small vintage crossbody bags and very bright in color. Obviously not appropriate for interviews.

I too dislike the "beach tote" and when a friend thrust me her Longchamp I took it for my last interview because it was black and more appropriate than anything I had. I was going to take an Estee Lauder makep bag that looked like a mini briefcase but my family and friends said NOOOO! So I gave that up 😛 😳

Now I'm on the hunt for a nice vintagey dark bag (and sufficiently large to hold my portfolio). Well my mom suggeted the following and I am in love. Totally up my alley and at the same time these bags look respectable. But is this right for a medical school interview (i.e. too briefcase-y/fashion-ey)?

And if the bag appears appropriate, which one do you prefer?

http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/han...ags/product/33486625-lily/40&flagid=f14hbrise
http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/han...s/product/33539715-scotti/98&flagid=f14hbrise
 
I'm going to steal one last bit of advice from you sharp folks. My bags are typically small vintage crossbody bags and very bright in color. Obviously not appropriate for interviews.

I too dislike the "beach tote" and when a friend thrust me her Longchamp I took it for my last interview because it was black and more appropriate than anything I had. I was going to take an Estee Lauder makep bag that looked like a mini briefcase but my family and friends said NOOOO! So I gave that up 😛 😳

Now I'm on the hunt for a nice vintagey dark bag (and sufficiently large to hold my portfolio). Well my mom suggeted the following and I am in love. Totally up my alley and at the same time these bags look respectable. But is this right for a medical school interview (i.e. too briefcase-y/fashion-ey)?

And if the bag appears appropriate, which one do you prefer?

http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/han...ags/product/33486625-lily/40&flagid=f14hbrise
http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/han...s/product/33539715-scotti/98&flagid=f14hbrise

Cute, but too bright... The red is better than the plaid though.
Have you shopped eBay? Lots of nice vintage bags for not a whole lot of money. Or dispense with either the bag or portfolio altogether.
 
This may be another silly question, but is it better to wear long sleeve blouses buttoned up (around the elbow) or all the way rolled down? It'll be under a jacket for the actual interview, but I was wondering what is better for the rest of the interview day?
 
Cute, but too bright... The red is better than the plaid though.
Have you shopped eBay? Lots of nice vintage bags for not a whole lot of money. Or dispense with either the bag or portfolio altogether.

I shall check eBay! Haven't thought of that, I only looked at amazon.

I can't do without my portfolio. I redesigned it into an art display book. It actually has all my artwork and science-related art stuff and at both of my interviews it's been really helpful in making the interviewers see another side of this labrat who went through school too quickly 😛 i.e. it shows the interviewers I have hobbies and how these hobbies relate to medical education and learning with my classmates, graphic design stuff cartoons and artwork