-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is wearing a printed pencil skirt with a black jacket acceptable? It's a black skirt with very small grey dots
Could be, depending on the fabrics. Could also not be. Can you post a picture? Or if not, describe the fabric?
so definitely no bold patterns for the blouse?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Patterns rarely work.so definitely no bold patterns for the blouse?
Pindots, maybe.
Express yourself with color or texture.
Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on tucking in/not tucking in the blouse? Is it dependent on whether or not its a skirt suit or a pantsuit or the rule is always tuck it in?
Any thoughts on tucking in/not tucking in the blouse? Is it dependent on whether or not its a skirt suit or a pantsuit or the rule is always tuck it in?
I think the rule is that your blouse should not peek out from under your blazer. I always tuck into a suit skirt. I almost always tuck into pants, unless the shirt is short enough.
Last edited:
Tuck.Any thoughts on tucking in/not tucking in the blouse? Is it dependent on whether or not its a skirt suit or a pantsuit or the rule is always tuck it in?
Although no medical school interview, but I interviewed at a school of medicine for MPH. My dress was a rose pink and black. And I had a patterned blazer. I got so many compliments from the physicians on the committee, "thank you for not looking like you're going to a funeral" but the students all had on black or grey, navy, and I got stares. I ended up sticking out like a sore thumb, AND I'm 6ft, but I got accepted! I say this to say, it's okay to wear color!!
Any thoughts on tucking in/not tucking in the blouse? Is it dependent on whether or not its a skirt suit or a pantsuit or the rule is always tuck it in?
If the top is a knit, you generally wouldn't tuck - but it generally shouldn't be longer than your jacket either.
Although no medical school interview, but I interviewed at a school of medicine for MPH. My dress was a rose pink and black. And I had a patterned blazer. I got so many compliments from the physicians on the committee, "thank you for not looking like you're going to a funeral" but the students all had on black or grey, navy, and I got stares. I ended up sticking out like a sore thumb, AND I'm 6ft, but I got accepted! I say this to say, it's okay to wear color!!
It's absolutely OK to wear color -- for women especially. The dark conservative suit with a white shirt look is safe and appropriate, but can be boring in large doses, like interview day. A little something interesting, so long as it's not unprofessional, can be so refreshing.
And actually, if you're tall, it's much easier to carry off a pattern, since the scale and proportions will be a bit different.
A question on skirts and dresses-- Apparently, most skirts and dresses end right above the knee, and that is okay. But if your skirt is at the top of your knee when standing, then naturally it goes up when sitting and it shows some of your thighs, which is not okay. So should we stick to skirts below the knee since that's the only way to get your skirt to cover your entire thigh when sitting?
AKA: this is obviously not ok: http://previews.123rf.com/images/ge...t-sitting-with-holding-laptop-Stock-Photo.jpg
But is this length okay? https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/thumb_COLOURBOX9342597.jpg
Or is it only safe to have it this long? https://teachinstyle.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dscn2032-e1327462437891.jpg
AKA: this is obviously not ok: http://previews.123rf.com/images/ge...t-sitting-with-holding-laptop-Stock-Photo.jpg
But is this length okay? https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/thumb_COLOURBOX9342597.jpg
Or is it only safe to have it this long? https://teachinstyle.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dscn2032-e1327462437891.jpg
I agree but I would also caution that just because someone comments, "wow thanks for not looking like you're going to a funeral" doesn't mean that they find the outfit acceptable. In addition, there is a big difference between MPH and MD interviews.It's absolutely OK to wear color -- for women especially. The dark conservative suit with a white shirt look is safe and appropriate, but can be boring in large doses, like interview day. A little something interesting, so long as it's not unprofessional, can be so refreshing.
And actually, if you're tall, it's much easier to carry off a pattern, since the scale and proportions will be a bit different.
That being said, most of what we post here is the safe conservative choice and YMMV.
As always, I try to encourage female applicants to wear color in their blouses to separate them from the pack.
For some reason that just looks too casual for me.
What about a really well tailored suit that fits your shape the right way? Or even a skirt suit.
Tailoring makes a huge difference if you're not an "average" size
What about a really well tailored suit that fits your shape the right way? Or even a skirt suit.
Tailoring makes a huge difference if you're not an "average" size
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its a lovely outfit but it is more casual than we would usually advocate for a medical school interview (jacket shape, mismatched coordinates, suede shoes) If skirts aren't staying up on you and blouses don't stay tucked, you're wearing the wrong size. It sounds as if you're fitting them to your hips and the waist is too large. Tucking your blouse into your pantyhose also helps to keep it tucked in as well.
NB: I see you wrote more while I was posting. I still find it improbable that there isn't a brand or tailor out there that can't fit you properly. A suit dress is ok; have you considered a navy instead of black?
NB: I see you wrote more while I was posting. I still find it improbable that there isn't a brand or tailor out there that can't fit you properly. A suit dress is ok; have you considered a navy instead of black?
I've seen a little bit about sheath dresses on this thread, but there seems to be some mixed opinions.
I'm a pretty thin shape but for some reason I have a hard time holding up a skirt - it just always feels like it's slipping around, and my shirt doesn't stay tucked in. I'd rather not be fidgeting for interviews. Is it acceptable to wear a demure color (burgundy/navy/forest green/eggplant/merlot) sleeved sheath with a black jacket and black pumps, a dressy watch and small gold studs? I am also considering crisp white/cream for the sheath, and while it looks like black is safe, black on black looks awful with my skin tone - white is much better.
Something like this, but with a properly lapelled jacket and more conservative jewellery:
![]()
If you want to do a sheath, the recommendation I've always heard is to match it to the fabric and color of the jacket. So black on black, navy on navy, etc.I have run the gamut on professional wear - I did an activity that required business formal every single week, so I've spent a LOT of time hunting for skirts that fit me well, had them tailored, everything. I'm a pretty average shape, if on the thin side, and skirts never sit at my natural waist. If I get them tailored to do so, they seem too tight down the leg. Dresses hold themselves up at the shoulder and hang more professionally on me, so I'm trying to find something that's acceptable. If color is too "out there" then I can of course go with black/white, but it looks like a bright color is fine for a shell, so I was wondering if a dim color would work for a sheath.
I personally think there's nothing wrong with a sheath dress and MATCHING jacket. Its the mismatched one above that makes it more casual. The bag is fine as well although if you prefer a portfolio its ok.My jacket is actually a formal, 2 buttoned black wool (similar one below), and the shoes are black, close toed leather. Would the more formal jacket and shoes fix this, along with my more formal watch/earrings? I am not planning on bringing a bag; I have a black leather folio for papers and such, so I can keep any clashing accessories to a minimum.
If it's the red that's an issue, would navy/white be a better option, or is it just impossible to wear a sheath/suit jacket in a professional setting?
![]()
The issue with navy and white, besides being more casual is the possibility of stains ruining the look. Maybe its just me but wearing white is a recipe for spillage.
I personally think there's nothing wrong with a sheath dress and MATCHING jacket. Its the mismatched one above that makes it more casual. The bag is fine as well although if you prefer a portfolio its ok.
The issue with navy and white, besides being more casual is the possibility of stains ruining the look. Maybe its just me but wearing white is a recipe for spillage.
Follow up question on the matched jacket and dress - before, some people were saying a pop of color is important to break up the monotone/funeral director feeling. If you go with, say, a navy dress and navy jacket, how can you introduce some color?
With your shoes/bag: cordovan/merlot is the appropriate color with navy.Follow up question on the matched jacket and dress - before, some people were saying a pop of color is important to break up the monotone/funeral director feeling. If you go with, say, a navy dress and navy jacket, how can you introduce some color?
You could wear a small print scarf.
Or pick some subtle jewelry with slight color or metal instead of the staid pearls.
is it sad that I had to google cordovan?With your shoes/bag: cordovan/merlot is the appropriate color with navy.
You could wear a small print scarf.
Or pick some subtle jewelry with slight color or metal instead of the staid pearls.
everything posted here has been extremely helpful! I think I found a suit, will post a picture soon for everyone's approval 😀
I've seen a little bit about sheath dresses on this thread, but there seems to be some mixed opinions.
I'm a pretty thin shape but for some reason I have a hard time holding up a skirt - it just always feels like it's slipping around, and my shirt doesn't stay tucked in. I'd rather not be fidgeting for interviews. Is it acceptable to wear a demure color (burgundy/navy/forest green/eggplant/merlot) sleeved sheath with a black jacket and black pumps, a dressy watch and small gold studs? I am also considering crisp white/cream for the sheath, and while it looks like black is safe, black on black looks awful with my skin tone - white is much better.
Something like this, but with a properly lapelled jacket and more conservative jewellery:
![]()
I LOVE the wine-colored dress, and would not consider that color inappropriate at all. Any chance of finding a matching jacket in that same fabric?
@Winged Scapula - Do you think the wine dress with leather pumps (not suede), a more formal black jacket, and a lovely silk scarf with wine and black would still be too casual for an MD interview?
I still think any iteration of a sheath dress/blazer isn't formal enough.
Get a wine colored silk blouse with pretty neck detailing, lose the wine colored shoes and switch them out for ones that match the suit, leave the jewels and bag as is.
Get a wine colored silk blouse with pretty neck detailing, lose the wine colored shoes and switch them out for ones that match the suit, leave the jewels and bag as is.
It is more casual simply by not being a matched suit as you know.I LOVE the wine-colored dress, and would not consider that color inappropriate at all. Any chance of finding a matching jacket in that same fabric?
@Winged Scapula - Do you think the wine dress with leather pumps (not suede), a more formal black jacket, and a lovely silk scarf with wine and black would still be too casual for an MD interview?
The reason we tend to stick to more conservative rules is that when one "stands out from the crowd" it puts the student and their application up for further (sometimes not positive) criticism. An applicant straying from the norm may come off well if they are eloquent, polished and have a superior application. In this case, the stylish appearance only further enhances their already impressive application.
Unfortunately, the opposite can happen where an average or less than average applicant chooses a non-standard interview outfit and the assumption is that they can't or won't follow normal professional conventions. They become "that girl in the red dress" and it negatively colors their application.
So a tricky toe to line. I also find that many young women going into medicine do not have the comfort level and self-confidence to stray from the standard and end up looking awkward. This fortunately gets better with age and experience for some.
It is more casual simply by not being a matched suit as you know.
The reason we tend to stick to more conservative rules is that when one "stands out from the crowd" it puts the student and their application up for further (sometimes not positive) criticism. An applicant straying from the norm may come off well if they are eloquent, polished and have a superior application. In this case, the stylish appearance only further enhances their already impressive application.
Unfortunately, the opposite can happen where an average or less than average applicant chooses a non-standard interview outfit and the assumption is that they can't or won't follow normal professional conventions. They become "that girl in the red dress" and it negatively colors their application.
So a tricky toe to line. I also find that many young women going into medicine do not have the comfort level and self-confidence to stray from the standard and end up looking awkward. This fortunately gets better with age and experience for some.
Beautiful explanation - Thanks! I especially agree with the bolded part -- so great if it's done well and you can rock it; but high risk.
Pattern is risky. People all have their own thing when it comes to pattern. The same pattern can make some people feel very comforted while make others irritated. The result is that the interviewers might intuitively like you, the person who choose the pattern, more or less than they should have. I would avoid risky behavior when the reward is so small. Use color instead.
I think that tenet is true in many fields (perhaps even your own): upper management tend to be more confident and comfortable straying from the "corporate drone" appearance. They have succeeded and can make bolder choices.Beautiful explanation - Thanks! I especially agree with the bolded part -- so great if it's done well and you can rock it; but high risk.
When the risks are greater, its safer to stick to the matched suit with a colorful blouse. But that being said, I do love navy and cordovan together and a sheath dress and jacket.
So over the last two weekends, one of my business partners hired a personal shopper. She's been wanting to focus a little more on her appearance. The first one she interviewed was cheaper but met her at TJ Maxx. Not really the look she was going for. The second one was very polished and met her at one of our upscale malls. She figured that was a good sign until she realized she charged her $450 for what she claimed was 10 hours of shopping. What did she bring? Clothes from Ross, TJ Maxx and WHBM. I LOLd. None of them particularly stylish or "different". A ton of sleeveless blouses despite the fact that she told them she wouldn't wear sleeveless things in the office unless she had a suit jacket to cover it. I think she could have done just as well with the free personal shopper at Nordstrom's or Neimans.
You guys are getting lots of good and free advice here!
I think that tenet is true in many fields (perhaps even your own): upper management tend to be more confident and comfortable straying from the "corporate drone" appearance. They have succeeded and can make bolder choices.
When the risks are greater, its safer to stick to the matched suit with a colorful blouse. But that being said, I do love navy and cordovan together and a sheath dress and jacket.
So over the last two weekends, one of my business partners hired a personal shopper. She's been wanting to focus a little more on her appearance. The first one she interviewed was cheaper but met her at TJ Maxx. Not really the look she was going for. The second one was very polished and met her at one of our upscale malls. She figured that was a good sign until she realized she charged her $450 for what she claimed was 10 hours of shopping. What did she bring? Clothes from Ross, TJ Maxx and WHBM. I LOLd. None of them particularly stylish or "different". A ton of sleeveless blouses despite the fact that she told them she wouldn't wear sleeveless things in the office unless she had a suit jacket to cover it. I think she could have done just as well with the free personal shopper at Nordstrom's or Neimans.
You guys are getting lots of good and free advice here!
Also j crew has personal shoppers 😀
(And many pairs of very non interview appropriate pink pants, but still)
I think that tenet is true in many fields (perhaps even your own): upper management tend to be more confident and comfortable straying from the "corporate drone" appearance. They have succeeded and can make bolder choices.
When the risks are greater, its safer to stick to the matched suit with a colorful blouse. But that being said, I do love navy and cordovan together and a sheath dress and jacket.
So over the last two weekends, one of my business partners hired a personal shopper. She's been wanting to focus a little more on her appearance. The first one she interviewed was cheaper but met her at TJ Maxx. Not really the look she was going for. The second one was very polished and met her at one of our upscale malls. She figured that was a good sign until she realized she charged her $450 for what she claimed was 10 hours of shopping. What did she bring? Clothes from Ross, TJ Maxx and WHBM. I LOLd. None of them particularly stylish or "different". A ton of sleeveless blouses despite the fact that she told them she wouldn't wear sleeveless things in the office unless she had a suit jacket to cover it. I think she could have done just as well with the free personal shopper at Nordstrom's or Neimans.
You guys are getting lots of good and free advice here!
Very true. I guess I've never really interviewed for or hired for 'corporate drone' positions, so never really appreciated that look. I've always been drawn to the bolder look because I've always looked for someone who could make bolder decisions.
However as part of 'an incoming class' or group, a more homogenous look might be more successful. We already know that a 'doesn't fit in' or 'doesn't know the rules' look doesn't work. So yeah - colorful solid color blouse is your best 'safe' option.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Patterns rarely work.
Pindots, maybe.
Express yourself with your words.
Fixed.
Also j crew has personal shoppers 😀
Yes they do but their clothes does my business partner's figure no favors (i.e., if you have breasts, JC is not often friendly).
(And many pairs of very non interview appropriate pink pants, but still)
True. Cute but not for interview.
Yes they do but their clothes does my business partner's figure no favors (i.e., if you have breasts, JC is not often friendly).
True. Cute but not for interview.
I think I'm going to take a day that Kaus is busy and go to the mall to try on a bunch of what I consider to be conservative, med school interview appropriate outfits.
Oh. And then post pix in here
Would it be very bad to wear my Fitbit to my interview? It will be covered by my suit anyway, so it shouldn't be visible, but I just feel naked and uncomfortable without it on. It's a black band about one inch thick.
I also did talk about it in my application (greatest challenge=losing 40 lbs- Fitbit was an important part of my progress to get there), so they should know that I'm into it.
I also did talk about it in my application (greatest challenge=losing 40 lbs- Fitbit was an important part of my progress to get there), so they should know that I'm into it.
Don't do it.Would it be very bad to wear my Fitbit to my interview? It will be covered by my suit anyway, so it shouldn't be visible, but I just feel naked and uncomfortable without it on. It's a black band about one inch thick.
I also did talk about it in my application (greatest challenge=losing 40 lbs- Fitbit was an important part of my progress to get there), so they should know that I'm into it.
Yeah, that's what I'd figured. Thank you!Don't do it.
I wouldn't wear the wristband one but can't you attach it to your bra strap? That's where I wear mine.Yeah, that's what I'd figured. Thank you!
Nope- it's the fancy kind that tracks your heart rate from your wrist, so the sensor can't be taken out of the wristband. It's what I spent my $150 stipend for being one of the first to take the new MCAT on, actually! It's this one. I suppose I'll simply have to go a day without knowing my TDEE... Thank you for your response, though!I wouldn't wear the wristband one but can't you attach it to your bra strap? That's where I wear mine.
Quick questions?
1) Is this kind of blouse and color (exact one actually) ok to wear with a navy skirt suit?
http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/4224885_839_1?$shelf2$
2) Also, been hearing conflicting advice regarding heel color for navy suits. Is black ok? And what's the max heel height appropriate, 3"?
3) How big is too big for a bag? I have this tory burch tote (it was a grad gift) in black. Is it too big ( I have a small-ish frame), and is the little logo ok?
http://www.toryburch.com/york-buckle-tote/22149613.html?start=31
Thanks in advance!
1) Is this kind of blouse and color (exact one actually) ok to wear with a navy skirt suit?
http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/4224885_839_1?$shelf2$
2) Also, been hearing conflicting advice regarding heel color for navy suits. Is black ok? And what's the max heel height appropriate, 3"?
3) How big is too big for a bag? I have this tory burch tote (it was a grad gift) in black. Is it too big ( I have a small-ish frame), and is the little logo ok?
http://www.toryburch.com/york-buckle-tote/22149613.html?start=31
Thanks in advance!
1)That shirt is too bright for my eyes, but you'll need a third (or fourth) opinion, because as I've stated before, I'm color-averse 🙂Quick questions?
1) Is this kind of blouse and color (exact one actually) ok to wear with a navy skirt suit?
http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/4224885_839_1?$shelf2$
2) Also, been hearing conflicting advice regarding heel color for navy suits. Is black ok? And what's the max heel height appropriate, 3"?
3) How big is too big for a bag? I have this tory burch tote (it was a grad gift) in black. Is it too big ( I have a small-ish frame), and is the little logo ok?
http://www.toryburch.com/york-buckle-tote/22149613.html?start=31
Thanks in advance!
2)I'm wearing black shoes with a dark navy suit, and I heard the combination is "in" this season, but you'll always find people who disagree with you.
3)I personally looove Tory Burch (but can't afford it), and I think the logo is small and tasteful. There have been some grumblings on this site about designer bags coming across as too privileged, just so you're aware. I can spot Tory Burch from a mile away, but I suspect most adcoms (especially men) won't be as sensitive.
1)That shirt is too bright for my eyes, but you'll need a third (or fourth) opinion, because as I've stated before, I'm color-averse 🙂
2)I'm wearing black shoes with a dark navy suit, and I heard the combination is "in" this season, but you'll always find people who disagree with you.
3)I personally looove Tory Burch (but can't afford it), and I think the logo is small and tasteful. There have been some grumblings on this site about designer bags coming across as too privileged, just so you're aware. I can spot Tory Burch from a mile away, but I suspect most adcoms (especially men) won't be as sensitive.
Piggybacking off of that same bag, which ones out of those other colors do you think are okay for interviews?
I'd stick with navy or black. Mayyybe white. The other colors are so pretty though ugh.Piggybacking off of that same bag, which ones out of those other colors do you think are okay for interviews?
Last edited:
Is this color of suit too casual?
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/wort...acementtype=item_page.dpcontent1#pp5003190046
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/wort...acementtype=item_page.dpcontent1#pp5003190046
Link isn't working! Maybe because there's an odd ellipsis in the middle?Is this color of suit too casual?
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/wort...acementtype=item_page.dpcontent1#pp5003190046
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1). I think the blouse is ok, but the bright color + lower neckline might be a bit overwhelming, depending on how uhm..."well-endowed" you areQuick questions?
1) Is this kind of blouse and color (exact one actually) ok to wear with a navy skirt suit?
http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/4224885_839_1?$shelf2$
2) Also, been hearing conflicting advice regarding heel color for navy suits. Is black ok? And what's the max heel height appropriate, 3"?
3) How big is too big for a bag? I have this tory burch tote (it was a grad gift) in black. Is it too big ( I have a small-ish frame), and is the little logo ok?
http://www.toryburch.com/york-buckle-tote/22149613.html?start=31
Thanks in advance!
2). I think black is OK. Personally, I wouldn't because I'm OCD about things like that. I think 3" would be ok, as long as it's not too stilleto-like
3). SO BEAUTIFUL. I'm using a similar "high end" bag (although it's black and brown and kind of bothers me so I might look for an all black one), and I think the logo is discrete enough that it's perfectly acceptable. It's hard to find a bag that will withstand enough wear-and-tear without spending a little on it, IMO.
Link worked for me!Is this color of suit too casual?
http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/wort...acementtype=item_page.dpcontent1#pp5003190046
I don't think the color is too casual; my suit is actually a heather grey as well. However, they don't show a picture of it buttoned from the front, so my only concern is it would be too form-fitting and flared. Therefore, it's the cut, not the color, that makes me question it.
Link worked for me!
I don't think the color is too casual; my suit is actually a heather grey as well. However, they don't show a picture of it buttoned from the front, so my only concern is it would be too form-fitting and flared. Therefore, it's the cut, not the color, that makes me question it.
Thanks for the input. I haven't actually gone to a store to try on anything yet, but I'll keep the cut thing in mind. I really don't want to wear black or navy...
I didn't want to wear black or navy either but fell in love with a black jacket. Oops. Black it is.Thanks for the input. I haven't actually gone to a store to try on anything yet, but I'll keep the cut thing in mind. I really don't want to wear black or navy...
Just find something that makes you feel confident when you wear it.
Quick questions?
1) Is this kind of blouse and color (exact one actually) ok to wear with a navy skirt suit?
http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/4224885_839_1?$shelf2$
Its a little bright for my tastes for this occasion. Also the sleeves are "neither here nor there". The shorter length and cuffs make it look more casual.
2) Also, been hearing conflicting advice regarding heel color for navy suits. Is black ok? And what's the max heel height appropriate, 3"?
Traditional with navy is cordovan. But black is fine; blue will be too hard to match, don't even try. Yes, although a lover of high heels, more than 3" is too much for this occasion.
3) How big is too big for a bag? I have this tory burch tote (it was a grad gift) in black. Is it too big ( I have a small-ish frame), and is the little logo ok?
http://www.toryburch.com/york-buckle-tote/22149613.html?start=31
I've written a novel previously on these "totes". You aren't going to the beach and generally a more structured bag is preferred. But its not a make or break thing.
However, absolutely do not worry about the logo because 1) 7/8th of medical school faculty, even the women, will not recognize it, 2) its small and 3) you can always turn the logo toward your side so no one sees it.